Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: A very insightful comment on the our natural right to be armed.

  1. #1
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    A very insightful comment on the our natural right to be armed.

    I work with many immigrants in my field, from Russia, Ukraine, India, Mexico etc. I have had many educational opportunities and many great discussions, they love the fact I open carry and love to learn more. I find that many immigrants appreciate our natural rights that are supposed to be secured from intrusion by our government by our constitution more than many that have grown up here and have lossed appreciation for and willingly give up their liberties and freedom.

    Any way I am building a house for a guy from India, and we were talking about guns man's natural inclination to want to to be armed and to protect his family. Here was the comment he made that I really found intriguing and very insightful and I have given much thought to how true it is.

    "Before mankind invented language they carried weapons...."
    So simple in yet tremendously true and very encompassing in it's implications.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 07-14-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Indeed, a good observation. Sometimes words are not enough. Weapons served many duties; hunting, defense, survival, etc.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  3. #3
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    I want that on a bumper sticker!


    Then again, the anti's probably thing it's possible to negotiate with a hungry saber-toothed cat. Y'know, understand his side, consider his underprivileged upbringing...
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    "Before mankind invented language they carried weapons...."
    Yeah, then mothers-in-law learned to talk...the first escalation, the first arms race.

  5. #5
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    A rather profound statement
    "Before mankind invented language they carried weapons...."
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  6. #6
    Regular Member OrangeIsTrouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tukwila, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,398

    Thumbs up

    I like it.

    For the longer discussions, I like the "You can either force me to do something, or persuade" approach to questions.


    Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

    Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

  7. #7
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Yeah, then mothers-in-law learned to talk...the first escalation, the first arms race.
    Ha!
    Funny thing is I got along better with my ex's mother in law than I did with my ex, I think she knew her daughter was no good.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    A rather profound statement
    Profound! That was the word I was searching for yesterday and my brain just wouldn't come up with it, thank you.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137

    "Before mankind invented language they carried weapons...."

    I like that. Children deprived of weapons training by their adults will pick up sticks, point them, and say, "bang". It is inherent in their DNA.

  9. #9
    Regular Member GuidoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Skagit County, WA
    Posts
    192
    Very insightful comment indeed. Want a bumper sticker? Order up! (Cheap and easy, plus quality is quite nice.)

    I also see Big Dave is already spreading the love.

    --
    Peace. ~G
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    376

    Profound statement...

    "Before mankind invented language they carried weapons...."
    On the same lines... "An armed society is a... polite society"

    The weapon is exactly that... a defensive, offensive and useful tool. It reminds everyone that without saying a single word on how... to treat each other.

    Don't have to translate - it's a universal message. It's only threatening if provoked...

    So use those rights we enjoy! OC and/or CC and carry!
    Young Kim, NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
    NRA Range Safety Officer

    www.shootonthemove.org

    "Shoot Safetly, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport!"
    Jim Scoutten, Shooting USA

  11. #11
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I like that. Children deprived of weapons training by their adults will pick up sticks, point them, and say, "bang". It is inherent in their DNA.
    Yes it is in our DNA, and I often reflected on that, how often as children we naturally play at that, especially as boys.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Winlock, , USA
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Yes it is in our DNA, and I often reflected on that, how often as children we naturally play at that, especially as boys.
    Oh hush, you sexist pig! Although, it is true, much to the dismay of sociologists everywhere. Girls tend to care give, boys to protect....weird, huh? Almost like it is in our genes or something.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Ajetpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Olalla, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,410
    I raised two daughters. Girls have a natural inclination to protect as well. Don't come between either one of my girls and their kids.

    http://corneredcat.com/

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    I raised two daughters. Girls have a natural inclination to protect as well. Don't come between either one of my girls and their kids.

    http://corneredcat.com/
    I concur. My wife is extremely protective of our son. She doesn't carry a gun but I'm pretty sure she'd take somebody out if they tried to hurt him.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    I raised two daughters. Girls have a natural inclination to protect as well. Don't come between either one of my girls and their kids.

    http://corneredcat.com/
    My daughter too, she kicks a$$ and is feminine at the same time.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    I worked with a guy from Ukrain who said something to me that will stick with me for the rest of my life...
    "If you dont touch $h!t, you wont smell like $h!t."
    Now that to me is profound.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667
    "Before mankind invented language they carried weapons...."



    .
    Live Free or Die!

  18. #18
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    .
    Exactly!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  19. #19
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    I think this sounds better:

    Humans created weapons before language.

    Or:

    Human evolution: Weapons - Language - Better weapons.

    Just so the antis don't interpret the original quote as talking negates violence.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; 07-18-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    645
    Those who call for the repeal of the Second Amendment so that we can really begin controlling firearms betray a serious misunderstanding of the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights does not grant rights to the people, such that its repeal would legitimately confer upon government the powers otherwise proscribed. The Bill of Rights is the list of the fundamental, inalienable rights, endowed in man by his Creator, that define what it means to be a free and independent people, the rights which must exist to ensure that government governs only with the consent of the people.

    The Supreme Court. In United States v. Cruikshank (1876), the first case in which the Court had an opportunity to interpret the Second Amendment, it stated that the right confirmed by the Second Amendment "is not a right granted by the constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence." The repeal of the Second Amendment would no more render the outlawing of firearms legitimate than the repeal of the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment would authorize the government to imprison and kill people at will. A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern.

    <NOTE: Blattently stolen from Joe Huffmans Blog!>

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Susanville, California, USA
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    Those who call for the repeal of the Second Amendment so that we can really begin controlling firearms betray a serious misunderstanding of the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights does not grant rights to the people, such that its repeal would legitimately confer upon government the powers otherwise proscribed. The Bill of Rights is the list of the fundamental, inalienable rights, endowed in man by his Creator, that define what it means to be a free and independent people, the rights which must exist to ensure that government governs only with the consent of the people.

    The Supreme Court. In United States v. Cruikshank (1876), the first case in which the Court had an opportunity to interpret the Second Amendment, it stated that the right confirmed by the Second Amendment "is not a right granted by the constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence." The repeal of the Second Amendment would no more render the outlawing of firearms legitimate than the repeal of the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment would authorize the government to imprison and kill people at will. A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern.

    <NOTE: Blattently stolen from Joe Huffmans Blog!>
    Very well said, I agree ! Good post RWW. Robin47

  22. #22
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    I tend to disagree. Eliminate the 2A and you eliminate guns as a protected tool to accomplish God given self defense. Unlike in England where they lock you up if you defend yourself. So self defense would still be lawful but guns wouldn't protected, except in state Constitutions and existing Federal law.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  23. #23
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I tend to disagree. Eliminate the 2A and you eliminate guns as a protected tool to accomplish God given self defense. Unlike in England where they lock you up if you defend yourself. So self defense would still be lawful but guns wouldn't protected, except in state Constitutions and existing Federal law.
    Not so fast, keep in mind now that self defense is secondary to the original intent of the Second amendment. In the case of our Constitution, the 2A stems mostly not from the natural right to self defense, but from the natural right of the people to be governed by consent, and when government no longer acknowledges that consent, to change the government... by force, if necessary.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  24. #24
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241
    I couldn't resist, I just happened to have watched Shane the other day.

    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that"

  25. #25
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    I couldn't resist, I just happened to have watched Shane the other day.

    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that"
    Jbone: So true for the quote.

    parmedic70002: Great quote, I have been a paramedic for over 20 years and this is the first time I have heard this one.

    "Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...Paramedics With Guns Scare People!"

    I know the Paramedics in some other countries carry pistols.....I like to think of it as they ultimate anesthetic..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •