• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A very insightful comment on the our natural right to be armed.

sudden valley gunner

I work with many immigrants in my field, from Russia, Ukraine, India, Mexico etc. I have had many educational opportunities and many great discussions, they love the fact I open carry and love to learn more. I find that many immigrants appreciate our natural rights that are supposed to be secured from intrusion by our government by our constitution more than many that have grown up here and have lossed appreciation for and willingly give up their liberties and freedom.

Any way I am building a house for a guy from India, and we were talking about guns man's natural inclination to want to to be armed and to protect his family. Here was the comment he made that I really found intriguing and very insightful and I have given much thought to how true it is.

"Before mankind invented language they carried weapons...."

So simple in yet tremendously true and very encompassing in it's implications.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Indeed, a good observation. Sometimes words are not enough. Weapons served many duties; hunting, defense, survival, etc.

Metalhead47

I want that on a bumper sticker!

Then again, the anti's probably thing it's possible to negotiate with a hungry saber-toothed cat. Y'know, understand his side, consider his underprivileged upbringing...

sudden valley gunner

Yeah, then mothers-in-law learned to talk...the first escalation, the first arms race.

Ha! ;)
Funny thing is I got along better with my ex's mother in law than I did with my ex, I think she knew her daughter was no good.

A rather profound statement

Profound! That was the word I was searching for yesterday and my brain just wouldn't come up with it, thank you.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

I like that. Children deprived of weapons training by their adults will pick up sticks, point them, and say, "bang". It is inherent in their DNA.

oldkim

Profound statement...

On the same lines... "An armed society is a... polite society"

The weapon is exactly that... a defensive, offensive and useful tool. It reminds everyone that without saying a single word on how... to treat each other.

Don't have to translate - it's a universal message. It's only threatening if provoked...

So use those rights we enjoy! OC and/or CC and carry! :banana:

oneeyeross

Yes it is in our DNA, and I often reflected on that, how often as children we naturally play at that, especially as boys.

Oh hush, you sexist pig! Although, it is true, much to the dismay of sociologists everywhere. Girls tend to care give, boys to protect....weird, huh? Almost like it is in our genes or something.

amzbrady

I worked with a guy from Ukrain who said something to me that will stick with me for the rest of my life...
"If you dont touch $h!t, you wont smell like $h!t."
Now that to me is profound.

paramedic70002

I think this sounds better:

Humans created weapons before language.

Or:

Human evolution: Weapons - Language - Better weapons.

Just so the antis don't interpret the original quote as talking negates violence.

Last edited:

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
Those who call for the repeal of the Second Amendment so that we can really begin controlling firearms betray a serious misunderstanding of the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights does not grant rights to the people, such that its repeal would legitimately confer upon government the powers otherwise proscribed. The Bill of Rights is the list of the fundamental, inalienable rights, endowed in man by his Creator, that define what it means to be a free and independent people, the rights which must exist to ensure that government governs only with the consent of the people.

The Supreme Court. In United States v. Cruikshank (1876), the first case in which the Court had an opportunity to interpret the Second Amendment, it stated that the right confirmed by the Second Amendment "is not a right granted by the constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence." The repeal of the Second Amendment would no more render the outlawing of firearms legitimate than the repeal of the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment would authorize the government to imprison and kill people at will. A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern.

<NOTE: Blattently stolen from Joe Huffmans Blog!>