• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Comments on OC "debate" about Cracker Barrel Policy

carsontech

Activist Member
So, my wife lurks on opencarry.org a lot. A lot a lot, lol. She loves open carry as much as I do and is a true supporter of the 2nd amendment. Even though we are stuck in a state that does not allow open carry, we OC whenever we are out of state (where legal), on our property, and anyone else's property that the owner will allow us to.

Anyway she was reading and stumbled across the threads about Cracker Barrel and their corporate policy on OC that started at the beginning of this year. She posted this information in our local South Carolina gun forum. The link to the thread is posted at the bottom of this post.

Anyways, I popped in the thread and gave my opinion (carsontech is my username on that forum, as well as here).

That started a firestorm tornado, of what seems like OC "hatred" and 2nd amendment indifference (supporting the 2nd amendment, but lacking the will to fight or do anything for it). I was pretty heated when responding to some of the comments, but I think I did an ok job at not coming off as an ass or giving OC and "pro-active 2nd amendment support" a bad name. I do admit, I probably could have handled the "discussion" better. Some stated that I was criticizing members of that forum. That may be, but I feel like Open Carry, and myself, were "attacked" directly and indirectly. Maybe I misinterpreted some of the comments and opinions.

Does anyone have any comments on the thread I linked below? Any suggestions or OC information that I can post for the CC-only supporters? Some members are not relating to my testimony of OC. I believe everyone should be allowed to carry how they wish, but I feel like some of the forum members do not seem to feel this way. It's as though their way is the only way. Maybe there is some info or something that may help them to relate to OC better, or at least not be that hostile towards it.

I guess I am posting this here on OC.org for three reasons:
1. I want help with sourcing some information on OC that may curb a little of the resentment on OC I am seeing
2. My wife and I feel like outsiders and want to converse with people who share the same ideas of the 2nd amendment as we do. Seriously, we feel alone here in SC.
3. Invite more open carriers from the Carolina's into the forum... we have someone from Cali on there, so I guess it actually doesn't matter where you're from.

I think everyone on that forum is pretty cool for the most part, they all seem like good people, relatively speaking. We have a difference of opinion, and that's fine. I don't feel any resentment towards anyone for any of their comments, I will still, gladly, "have a beer" with any one of them.

Warning. the word "cowboy" and the myth about the "bank robber will shoot the first person he sees OC" came up in the thread from different users :banghead: ...

http://www.palmettoshootersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1980

jayspapa

Why is it when we citizens want to open carry it is being a cowboy but cops carry openly every day and that is just fine.

There is no difference other than people are used to seeing guns on leo hips and it is new to them to see an open carrier. Get over it people!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I do not think you hurt the OC side of the house in any way.

Some of the "CC is the only way for me/everybody" folks need to pull their eyes out of their fundament and see the reality of life. CC with a permission slip is still gun control. If the state says if/how you can carry they can then say that you can no longer carry. OC as a default (not legally controlled as a manner of carry) gives us at least some freedom from the state's control.

The other part, I believe, is that CC-only-ers are not really comfortable about and around other people who are bearing arms. As long as they do not see them they do not have to worry about what somebody else's handgun might do - like suddenly jump out of the holster and start firing off rounds? No doubt about it, it takes self-confidence to OC.

stay safe.

OldCurlyWolf

So, my wife lurks on opencarry.org a lot. A lot a lot, lol. She loves open carry as much as I do and is a true supporter of the 2nd amendment. Even though we are stuck in a state that does not allow open carry, we OC whenever we are out of state (where legal), on our property, and anyone else's property that the owner will allow us to.

Anyway she was reading and stumbled across the threads about Cracker Barrel and their corporate policy on OC that started at the beginning of this year. She posted this information in our local South Carolina gun forum. The link to the thread is posted at the bottom of this post.

Anyways, I popped in the thread and gave my opinion (carsontech is my username on that forum, as well as here).

That started a firestorm tornado, of what seems like OC "hatred" and 2nd amendment indifference (supporting the 2nd amendment, but lacking the will to fight or do anything for it). I was pretty heated when responding to some of the comments, but I think I did an ok job at not coming off as an ass or giving OC and "pro-active 2nd amendment support" a bad name. I do admit, I probably could have handled the "discussion" better. Some stated that I was criticizing members of that forum. That may be, but I feel like Open Carry, and myself, were "attacked" directly and indirectly. Maybe I misinterpreted some of the comments and opinions.

Does anyone have any comments on the thread I linked below? Any suggestions or OC information that I can post for the CC-only supporters? Some members are not relating to my testimony of OC. I believe everyone should be allowed to carry how they wish, but I feel like some of the forum members do not seem to feel this way. It's as though their way is the only way. Maybe there is some info or something that may help them to relate to OC better, or at least not be that hostile towards it.

I guess I am posting this here on OC.org for three reasons:
1. I want help with sourcing some information on OC that may curb a little of the resentment on OC I am seeing
2. My wife and I feel like outsiders and want to converse with people who share the same ideas of the 2nd amendment as we do. Seriously, we feel alone here in SC.
3. Invite more open carriers from the Carolina's into the forum... we have someone from Cali on there, so I guess it actually doesn't matter where you're from.

I think everyone on that forum is pretty cool for the most part, they all seem like good people, relatively speaking. We have a difference of opinion, and that's fine. I don't feel any resentment towards anyone for any of their comments, I will still, gladly, "have a beer" with any one of them.

Warning. the word "cowboy" and the myth about the "bank robber will shoot the first person he sees OC" came up in the thread from different users :banghead: ...

http://www.palmettoshootersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1980

What I read indicates to me that you and two others (Shultz and fordnut) all three got your noses out of joint further than what was posted warranted. But that is JMHO.

:cool:

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
Carsontech - which state was it, North or South Carolina, where the then governor either signed or was pushing for legislation to allow for the confiscation of privately owned firearms in the event of an emergency?
This would NOT have been limited to "natural" disasters but would include "police/national security" emergencies as well.
Maybe, this is why the people can't get worked up to fight for their rights. They have been "led around" for so long they don't remember how to be independent.
What do you think?

I don't remember any of that. I do remember after the Tornadoes in NC, this year, that a State of Emergency was declared in NC. To my knowledge, in NC, it's against the law to carry a firearm when a State of emergency. The Governor came out and told LEAs to not enforce that part of the law during the State of Emergency, totally going around the process of getting that part changed the "right" way.

Good news for those that wanted to protect themselves during that time that, but very scary. The governor isn't suppose to have that much power, IIRC.

What I read indicates to me that you and two others (Shultz and fordnut) all three got your noses out of joint further than what was posted warranted. But that is JMHO.

:cool:

In retrospect, I can see that. It's hard to read into posts and see if someone is being general or specific sometimes, depending on how well there writing skills are. It seems I took some things the wrong way.

My opinions and beliefs still stand, though. I do not take back anything I said, but I probably shouldn't have came off so harsh on certain users. I am just that passionate about constitutional carry.

Last edited: