Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Open carry laws

New to Open carry laws

Hello am a Resident of Washington and just recently bought my first hand gun. I know Washington is a Open Carry state but am a little confused on the weapon condition that weapon has to be in. Do you have to be Condition 4 ( nothing in the gun), Condition 3 ( Mag inserted but no round in the Chamber), Condition 1 ( Mag inserted with round in a Chamber). I would like some light on that. I plan to open carry but just need some clarification.

Welcome to OCDO!!!!!!!!! Here is a great place to start looking.

http://opencarry.org/wa.html
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Welcome to Open Carry. There is no requirement to carry in a specific condition or holster (although most will suggest some form of retention holster).

Check out the Washington FAQ and then come back with more questions and we will be glad to help.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...out-Open-Carry
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 07-14-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Hello am a Resident of Washington and just recently bought my first hand gun. I know Washington is a Open Carry state but am a little confused on the weapon condition that weapon has to be in. Do you have to be Condition 4 ( nothing in the gun), Condition 3 ( Mag inserted but no round in the Chamber), Condition 1 ( Mag inserted with round in a Chamber). I would like some light on that. I plan to open carry but just need some clarification.
    Welcome to OCDO!

I see you joined the forum today. Please take this advice, especially if you are moving to Washington. Read the Washington forum for at least 2 weeks. Read the FAQ sticky, read the current threads and read some older threads to get a feel for what is going on in WA. It is much different than in CA.

But please READ. The information is already there....
    Live Free or Die!

Thumbs up And the short answer is...

You should carry it so when you pull the trigger it goes bang with the minimum number of intervening steps! Depending on the weapon that can be safety on, safety off, cocked, not cocked, or...

But definitely with one in the chamber. And of course you've been to a range or shooting area and practiced the safe loading, unloading, handling, and firing your new firearm.

And do take advantage of the wealth of helpful info on this forum.

And Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Welcome to OCDO!

I see you joined the forum today. Please take this advice, especially if you are moving to Washington. Read the Washington forum for at least 2 weeks. Read the FAQ sticky, read the current threads and read some older threads to get a feel for what is going on in WA. It is much different than in CA.

But please READ. The information is already there....
    Thanks. Am a resident of Washington, I lived in Lakewood for 18 years. Just currently station at Camp Pendleton with the Corps.

Glad to have you onboard. Here in WA you carry the way you want to, and feel comfortable. When you get back up here we have numerous OC get togethers at various Starbucks at least twice a month, so stop by and visit.
    Thanks for serving.
    SFC (ret Army).
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Glad to have you onboard. Here in WA you carry the way you want to, and feel comfortable. When you get back up here we have numerous OC get togethers at various Starbucks at least twice a month, so stop by and visit.
    Thanks for serving.
    SFC (ret Army).
    Thanks. Am currently on leave here till the 26th in the Lakewood/Tacoma Area.

PM me if you want to do an OC get together, or just post here and say x-location at x-time for a meet-up for anybody to join up.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

You may absolutely open carry in any condition you wish, just bear in mind the laws surrounding carrying in a vehicle... You must have a Washington concealed pistol license to have a loaded pistol in a vehicle... Loaded meaning either a magazine with rounds in it inserted in the gun, a round in the chamber, or both. If you don't have a CPL yet, the gun must be empty while in a vehicle. Outside of a vehicle, it can be in whatever condition you want!
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Thanks for your service brother and welcome to OCDO/Wa.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

As you have a military background, you have weapon training. Knowing the law is very important for you now. Welcome to OC

Thanks everyone.

OC loaded or unloaded on foot. In vehicle until you have a CPL you need to unload.

My suggestion is, while you are here in WA (I assume on leave), go apply for your CPL now. You can still OC, but with the CPL you do not have to unload when in a vehicle. $55.25 for 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    OC loaded or unloaded on foot. In vehicle until you have a CPL you need to unload.

My suggestion is, while you are here in WA (I assume on leave), go apply for your CPL now. You can still OC, but with the CPL you do not have to unload when in a vehicle. $55.25 for 5 years
    Thanks for the advice. I have already applied for my CPL am Just waiting for it to come in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by .45ACPaddy View Post
    You may absolutely open carry in any condition you wish, just bear in mind the laws surrounding carrying in a vehicle... You must have a Washington concealed pistol license to have a loaded pistol in a vehicle... Loaded meaning either a magazine with rounds in it inserted in the gun, a round in the chamber, or both. If you don't have a CPL yet, the gun must be empty while in a vehicle. Outside of a vehicle, it can be in whatever condition you want!
    Hello all
    I bought a handgun and currenlt waiting for my cpl. I've been reading everything on this site for 2 weeks and love all the info here and being a newbie I have a question to the quote above, after I unload when I get to my car, where do I have to
    put my magazine? I read but can't find it again, so where do I put my magazine does it have to go in the trunk or can it locked in my glovebox. Thanks for any info
    Plus I would like to mention that in Mukilteo I have had no problems at Oc'ing in public. and with all the info on here I've been able to educate myself and others who have asked..Again thanks..LOVE IT

where do I have to put my magazine?
    anywhere you want... tape it to your forehead, in your pocket, on the seat, it does not matter. As long as the firearm is unloaded and you are in the vehicle the firearm can be tape to your forehead as well, you just can't conceal it about your person unless you meet the requirements in RCW 9.41.060

You gotta love that duct tape..Thats good to know, if your right I know longer have to put the mag. in my trunk.. what a pain

Quote Originally Posted by sportfisher46 View Post
    You gotta love that duct tape..Thats good to know, if your right I know longer have to put the mag. in my trunk.. what a pain
    He's right. It's of no use to you in the trunk. As long as it's out of the gun you can have it in your hand if you want.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

If anyone wants to do a meet up today or tomorrow in the Lakewood area let me know.

If anyone wants to do a meet up today or tomorrow in the Lakewood area let me know.
    If you could meet at the Parkland Starbucks around 4:30 to 5:00 I could do that. Wednesday that is.
    Last edited by tombrewster421; 07-19-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Thanks again for your service and devotion. The world would be A lot better off if there were A bunch more like you.

MSCS(retired Navy)
    Last edited by 1911er; 07-19-2011 at 07:21 PM.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

Quote Originally Posted by sportfisher46 View Post
    Good thing the law doesn't read anything about putting your mag on the trunk since many of us drive trucks or ride motorcycles or have hatchbacks with no trunk...
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Good thing the law doesn't read anything about putting your mag on the trunk since many of us drive trucks or ride motorcycles or have hatchbacks with no trunk...
    You could always put one of these in the back of your pickup:

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

or

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    You could always put one of these in the back of your pickup:

one of these

DEMAND IT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast