• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open carry laws

cpgrad08

Hello am a Resident of Washington and just recently bought my first hand gun. I know Washington is a Open Carry state but am a little confused on the weapon condition that weapon has to be in. Do you have to be Condition 4 ( nothing in the gun), Condition 3 ( Mag inserted but no round in the Chamber), Condition 1 ( Mag inserted with round in a Chamber). I would like some light on that. I plan to open carry but just need some clarification.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Hello am a Resident of Washington and just recently bought my first hand gun. I know Washington is a Open Carry state but am a little confused on the weapon condition that weapon has to be in. Do you have to be Condition 4 ( nothing in the gun), Condition 3 ( Mag inserted but no round in the Chamber), Condition 1 ( Mag inserted with round in a Chamber). I would like some light on that. I plan to open carry but just need some clarification.

Welcome to OCDO!

I see you joined the forum today. Please take this advice, especially if you are moving to Washington. Read the Washington forum for at least 2 weeks. Read the FAQ sticky, read the current threads and read some older threads to get a feel for what is going on in WA. It is much different than in CA.

But please READ. The information is already there....

ARADCOM

And the short answer is...

You should carry it so when you pull the trigger it goes bang with the minimum number of intervening steps! Depending on the weapon that can be safety on, safety off, cocked, not cocked, or...

But definitely with one in the chamber. And of course you've been to a range or shooting area and practiced the safe loading, unloading, handling, and firing your new firearm.

And do take advantage of the wealth of helpful info on this forum.

And Welcome!

cpgrad08

Welcome to OCDO!

I see you joined the forum today. Please take this advice, especially if you are moving to Washington. Read the Washington forum for at least 2 weeks. Read the FAQ sticky, read the current threads and read some older threads to get a feel for what is going on in WA. It is much different than in CA.

But please READ. The information is already there....

Thanks. Am a resident of Washington, I lived in Lakewood for 18 years. Just currently station at Camp Pendleton with the Corps.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Glad to have you onboard. Here in WA you carry the way you want to, and feel comfortable. When you get back up here we have numerous OC get togethers at various Starbucks at least twice a month, so stop by and visit.
Thanks for serving.
SFC (ret Army).

cpgrad08

Glad to have you onboard. Here in WA you carry the way you want to, and feel comfortable. When you get back up here we have numerous OC get togethers at various Starbucks at least twice a month, so stop by and visit.
Thanks for serving.
SFC (ret Army).

Thanks. Am currently on leave here till the 26th in the Lakewood/Tacoma Area.

.45ACPaddy

You may absolutely open carry in any condition you wish, just bear in mind the laws surrounding carrying in a vehicle... You must have a Washington concealed pistol license to have a loaded pistol in a vehicle... Loaded meaning either a magazine with rounds in it inserted in the gun, a round in the chamber, or both. If you don't have a CPL yet, the gun must be empty while in a vehicle. Outside of a vehicle, it can be in whatever condition you want!

hermannr

OC loaded or unloaded on foot. In vehicle until you have a CPL you need to unload.

My suggestion is, while you are here in WA (I assume on leave), go apply for your CPL now. You can still OC, but with the CPL you do not have to unload when in a vehicle. $55.25 for 5 years

cpgrad08

OC loaded or unloaded on foot. In vehicle until you have a CPL you need to unload.

My suggestion is, while you are here in WA (I assume on leave), go apply for your CPL now. You can still OC, but with the CPL you do not have to unload when in a vehicle. $55.25 for 5 years

Thanks for the advice. I have already applied for my CPL am Just waiting for it to come in the mail.

sportfisher46

You may absolutely open carry in any condition you wish, just bear in mind the laws surrounding carrying in a vehicle... You must have a Washington concealed pistol license to have a loaded pistol in a vehicle... Loaded meaning either a magazine with rounds in it inserted in the gun, a round in the chamber, or both. If you don't have a CPL yet, the gun must be empty while in a vehicle. Outside of a vehicle, it can be in whatever condition you want!

Hello all
I bought a handgun and currenlt waiting for my cpl. I've been reading everything on this site for 2 weeks and love all the info here and being a newbie I have a question to the quote above, after I unload when I get to my car, where do I have to
put my magazine? I read but can't find it again, so where do I put my magazine does it have to go in the trunk or can it locked in my glovebox. Thanks for any info:D
Plus I would like to mention that in Mukilteo I have had no problems at Oc'ing in public. and with all the info on here I've been able to educate myself and others who have asked..Again thanks..LOVE IT

Bill Starks

State Researcher
where do I have to put my magazine?

anywhere you want... tape it to your forehead, in your pocket, on the seat, it does not matter. As long as the firearm is unloaded and you are in the vehicle the firearm can be tape to your forehead as well, you just can't conceal it about your person unless you meet the requirements in RCW 9.41.060