• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative encounter with a citizen

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
So Lori and I are in Bloedel-donovan park walking the dogs again. As we enter the park I do the quick scan and the only people visible are a pair of 8/10 year old females w/grandpa. I had seen him before and we started to walk on by, staying on the sidewalk and off the playground area. As we are passing Grandpa yells "Why are you walking your dog in the park with a gun?" "Excuse me?" said I. "It's legal! He's exercising his constitutional rights!" exclaimed my Sweet Baboo. "You're scaring the children, I'm calling the police." said Grandpa. "Sir, I think you are scaring the children." said I. "Please call the Police." said Lori. Grandpa grabbed the girls and ran out of the park. 100 meters away were three young men smoking a blunt. The whole episode lasted less than two minutes. As he left were continued our walk, following the boys thru the park. The police never did arrive.

ARADCOM

On the plus side in Bellingham.

Went into Washington Federal today to get some cash and no alarms went off and the teller didn't seem bothered. Went across the street to Jiffy Lube for a oil change and got asked what I was carrying. Had a nice talk about guns and got 15% off a belt replacement and a free brake light bulb.

So, it takes all kinds to make up the world. We just have to deal with the negative and take pleasure in the positive.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like a good handling to me.

Other possible replies off the top of my head:

"What have you been teaching those kids that makes them scared of a gun?"

"The gun does not emit fear waves, sir. But, maybe those picnic-ers can loan you some tinfoil for a hat."

sudden valley gunner

Handled well John. The negatives are rare but do happen and it shows how foolish they are.

Went into Washington Federal today to get some cash and no alarms went off and the teller didn't seem bothered. Went across the street to Jiffy Lube for a oil change and got asked what I was carrying. Had a nice talk about guns and got 15% off a belt replacement and a free brake light bulb.

So, it takes all kinds to make up the world. We just have to deal with the negative and take pleasure in the positive.

Nice to see ya posting again haven't seen ya in a while. I have had several pleasant experiences in Banks. Some tellers wishing they could have something for protection behind the counter. A young man behind the counter at Banner bank asked all kind of questions a few weeks ago and was very interested in OC and our gun rights. Was thinking he might actually pop up on the forum.

Difdi

"The gun does not emit fear waves, sir. But, maybe those picnic-ers can loan you some tinfoil for a hat."

Speaking of fear waves, small children typically look to their trusted adults (parents, grandparents, etc) for cues on whether to fear or be wary of something. Gramps was emitting fear waves, so the children became scared.

Of course, I have to wonder: If OC presents a scary, dangerous threat to life, why do so many people act in ways that, if the OCer actually was the unstable, trigger-happy cowboy the anti-gun lobby portrays, would cause the hypothetical trigger-happy nut to open fire?

Badger Johnson

May I ask (sorry to be a pest on this) but did you have your RECORDER turned on? If not, why not? If you're OC-ing it's your only defense to false charges of brandishing. In your case you did have your friend with you, but still.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Badger I do not carry a recorder. I have considered it. In this case it would have been over before I could have started recording. Hell, I don't even carry a spare magazine and I dump change regularly.

ARADCOM

Still out and about

Handled well John. The negatives are rare but do happen and it shows how foolish they are.

Nice to see ya posting again haven't seen ya in a while. I have had several pleasant experiences in Banks. Some tellers wishing they could have something for protection behind the counter. A young man behind the counter at Banner bank asked all kind of questions a few weeks ago and was very interested in OC and our gun rights. Was thinking he might actually pop up on the forum.

Still hangin' around although mostly CC during the winter. We need to have another little B'ham get together or a shoot out at the pit.

Badger Johnson

Badger I do not carry a recorder. I have considered it. In this case it would have been over before I could have started recording. Hell, I don't even carry a spare magazine and I dump change regularly.

You can get a recorder which has a USB port so you can save the recordings. Olympus makes it (see Amazon). If you get in a sticky situation it's well worth having. It will record for several hundred hours on extended play and 14+ hours on regular. You put it on (or in your pocket) when you leave the house. The majority of the time you just erase it but if you have an encounter, it will be captured since it's always on when you are out and about OC-ing. You can't rely on turning it on, nobody ever remembers. Good luck to you.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

I wish you would reconsider about carrying an extra magazine, it is just as important to have enough ammunition as to have one for an emergency reload when we are talking pistols, even for a malfunction clearing.

Actually your encounter was not completely negative, grandpa got more exercise then normal that day :lol:

Last edited:

amlevin

I wish you would reconsider about carrying an extra magazine, it is just as important to have enough ammunition as to have one for an emergency reload when we are talking pistols, even for a malfunction clearing.

Not to mention the time when one draws their weapon and the mag falls out. Quicker to find that "reload" than look around on the ground.