• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alert - Maine rights attacked

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
http://pennydean.com/

Beware the pink background. And if that's the only bad thing I can say, that's pretty good.

http://www.efnappen.com/

Took me 35 seconds to find both of them, check their sites, and copy the urls. Sheesh!

Shane - you seem to know the most about the situation except for the accused. You get him to call either/both of them, OK?

stay safe.

Talked to Evan about a month ago. He isn't Bar'd in Maine but said that he would brief any lawyer we get on how to argue the case. Xander called Mrs. Dean today.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I PM'd you some things he can do between now and when he is lawyered up. Let us know when he has representation and how to contribute to the cost of that.

In the mean time, please let him know that there are some folks who are willing to stand not behind but along side him through this. And that there are probably more waiting in the wings to see if they can do so without the rest of the community pointing and making nasty faces at them. Unless I miss my guess there are probably a few "hometown" folks in that bunch.

I'd sure hate to have to start checking to see that the lobster I can't afford was caught by folks from Taxachusetts or (heaven forbid!) Rhode Island.

stay safe.

ep0k

Tangentally related, I will be meeting with a PPD Police Lieutenant sometime this week or next to discuss some things about the upcoming Right To Carry Picnic. I'll take the opportunity to address the continued "untainability" of the PPD with regard to lawful carry and their tendency to harass us.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate

MKEgal

After I mentioned that I had had previous encounters with the PPD on the matter of my open
carrying, he noted that I have now had 3 encounters with the police, and none with bad guys
:banghead:
So he thinks that police harassment = "good guys"?
Seriously, they broke laws & he can't see that they're the bad guys in this situation?

an officer told me it was not a good idea to carry a gun in a city environment, that it would draw attention from the public and the police.
Here are several videos I've made, of me carrying in "a city environment" (greater Milwaukee, WI area), showing that OC does NOT draw attention. In fact, most people don't notice; the ones who do, smile at me or go about their work.

This is the longest, @ my bank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxYSczw_94
A home improvement store: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDj0TnKx0UQ
A grocery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMXBaDKUdGg
A home improvement store: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPeZS2_RA_Q

there were no less 4 officers on scene... I felt trapped at the scene
You were illegally detained.
Show of force, & you were probably surrounded, & they obviously were ordering you to do things.

I was asked if there were any other firearms in my vehicle, which I replied that there might be a .22cal rifle in the trunk, I could not recall if I had removed it. The Sergeant said “let's take a look” and I was instructed to open the trunk, which I did.
"Sure, as soon as my lawyer reads the warrant."
Since it had nothing to do with why they detained you, & they didn't know it was there 'til you told them (better to remain silent), there's no reason for them to even see it, let alone take it.

PiercedMaineOC

Update:
As of 2:10pm this afternoon, both firearms are back in my possession! I got the phone call at 8:30 this morning (who calls that early?!) that I could come by the station at 2 to pick them up. I arrived at promptly at 2, only had to wait a minutes before they were returned in the same shape they left my possession. I felt an enormous rush of relief taking custody of them again, and my house feels complete now that they are home, freshly cleaned, and where they belong (the rifle in the gear room, and the XD holstered and in the bedside table). Tomorrow, a much needed day off, will be spent going back to the station to get the CCW paperwork (completely forgot about getting it while there until I was already half way home), filling it out, and giving ppd money I cant afford to give them so this can't happen again in the future.

Just wanted to share the good news!

X

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Update:
As of 2:10pm this afternoon, both firearms are back in my possession! I got the phone call at 8:30 this morning (who calls that early?!) that I could come by the station at 2 to pick them up. I arrived at promptly at 2, only had to wait a minutes before they were returned in the same shape they left my possession. I felt an enormous rush of relief taking custody of them again, and my house feels complete now that they are home, freshly cleaned, and where they belong (the rifle in the gear room, and the XD holstered and in the bedside table). Tomorrow, a much needed day off, will be spent going back to the station to get the CCW paperwork (completely forgot about getting it while there until I was already half way home), filling it out, and giving ppd money I cant afford to give them so this can't happen again in the future.

Just wanted to share the good news!

X

Good to see a story with a happy ending. :D

carry for myself

glad to see it turned out well. i've felt the same glow when BPD has returned my weapons that were wrongfully taken. its a great feeling :) looks like PPD needs some MORE education.......

Flashlight

glad to see it turned out well. i've felt the same glow when BPD has returned my weapons that were wrongfully taken. its a great feeling :) looks like PPD needs some MORE education.......

I disagree. They have had plenty of education. They need accountability.