• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just letting off some steam

JBarL

In the United States, open carry is shorthand terminology for "openly carrying a firearm in public", as distinguished from concealed carry, where firearms cannot be seen by the casual observer.

The practice of open carry, where gun owners openly carry firearms while they go about their daily business, has seen an increase in the U.S. in recent years. This has been marked by a number of organized events intended to increase the visibility of open carry and public awareness about the practice. Critics of open carry, on the other hand, have raised concerns about right-wing extremism and the threat of armed revolt against the U.S. government.

Encouraged by groups like OpenCarry.org, GeorgiaCarry.org and some participants of the Free State Project, open carry has seen a revival in recent years. As of 2010, it is not yet clear if this represents a sea change, or just a short-term trend. Open carry is strongly opposed by gun control groups such as the Brady Campaign and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. Proponents of open carry point to history and statistics, noting that criminals usually conceal their weapons: The 2006 FBI study "Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers" by Anthony Pinizzotto revealed that criminals carefully conceal their firearms, and they eschew the use of holsters.

The movement has had mixed reception in the gun rights community. Alan Gottlieb of the Second Amendment Foundation and the NRA have been cautious in expressing support, while special-interest groups such as the aforementioned OpenCarry.org and GeorgiaCarry.org, state-level groups such as the Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA), and certain national groups such as the Gun Owners of America (GOA) have been more outspoken in favor of the practice.

What I did I got this off of wikipedia. And I was reading this and then, there it was "Critics of open carry, on the other hand, have raised concerns about right-wing extremism and the threat of armed revolt against the U.S. government."

Now the red sentence Struck a nerve with me. is it me or is the Demowits and the way out left Libs really that damn Stupid
Dont they know that the 2nd amendment well the original was setup so We could if they got corrupted or turned to tyrrany.
I'm more less just venting but we have numerous laws already in place. but like my dad said long ago give em a inch they take a mile. If i wasn't such a law abiddin citizen, I would start wearing mine in the open even tho I live in Texas where it is against the law. I just wanna go out one day just to say hey look the constitution over rides State Law, but then I love what freedom I do have but I get so aggrevated at the legislators and congress and Wouldnt it be nice if the right people came up and said vote us in and we will go back to the original constitution and everything that was added that imposed more government be removed. Man it would be nice. Where are some good down to earth Smart people at that would turn this great country around make it like it was meant to be? anyways thanks for letting me vent hope someone has the same Ideas I do I just want to be able to protect my family and neighbors and not have to worry about who wants to come confiscate my guns.:mad:

davist

I agree with you whole heartedly. Im 23 and i have an 18 month old son and a wife who is pregnant with my second son. The thought that i cant openly and freely display the full extent of my resolve to keep them safe as well as friends and neighbors, withouth the threat of arrest irritates me to no end. The fact that 44 states in this country allow responsible, licensed citizens to openly demonstrate their love for the second amendment and what it says, and TEXAS (the most gun friendly state in the country) does not is truly asinine. As soon as i can afford the flag pole I am going to fly 3 flags in front of my house. The American flag to remind people that this is AMERICA and as such was founded under a belief in God and CHRISTIANITY, the right to pursue life, liberty and happiness and that there was a constitution penned by the founding fathers stating our rights as human beings. Appropriately to this forum, the 2ND AMENDMENT. The right of the people to KEEP (own) and BEAR (carry it with ya!) arms shall not be infringed upon! The second flag being the TEXAS FLAG! To remind people that this is TEXAS and as such in my opinion is the best state in he country. I am Texas born and Texas bred. Thats who I am and thats it no questions neccessary. The third flag will be the famous flag depicting a cannon a star and the words "COME AND TAKE IT!" I absolutely refuse to bow down to a governement that feels they can claim our GOD given rights as human beings to keep and bear arms. I am not a big guy. I weigh roughly 165 pounds and stand 5'10" tall. I know by lack of ignorance and a great regard for common sense that there are "uglies" out there who hold an understandable advantage in physical strength and size over me. I by no means want to tangle with a walking refrigerator hell bent on wrong doings with my bear hands. Thats just not smart! If said refrigerator was to pick me out of a crowd as easy pickins, started his criminalistic rampage in me and my family's direction and then suddenly stopped as my .45 ACP automatic revealed itself on my hip, due to the fact that its probably not benificial to try me when there are other easier targets available. Then what harm could there be in Open Carry? I dont have little-man syndrome. I dont feel like talking trash to every over grown monster bad guy trying to lift my money and cell phone. But in the state of TEXAS there is no law dictating the necessity to retreat when someone is threating the life of you or others, your family, your property or others property, and i for one am not going to back down quietly from someone trying to lazily steal the things ive worked my butt off for! Just my thoughts.

Don Barnett

Concur

How can Open Carriers be a threat to the US Government when they are carrying handguns??

I hope Texas becomes an Open Carry State and I hope that your Governor wins the Primary!

Rick Perry is the one Republican running who I think has a chance of beating Obama in the General Election. He is not afraid of speaking his mind, he does so in a clear, concise and convining manner and he is not afraid of being a conservative!!

carry for myself

How can Open Carriers be a threat to the US Government when they are carrying handguns??

I hope Texas becomes an Open Carry State and I hope that your Governor wins the Primary!

Rick Perry is the one Republican running who I think has a chance of beating Obama in the General Election. He is not afraid of speaking his mind, he does so in a clear, concise and convining manner and he is not afraid of being a conservative!!

+1 handguns are no threat to US security. heck the Marines alone have drone helicopters, that they program on a Naval ship.....press a button and it runs an entire attack route ....by itself. with noone controling it. IF us OCers "revolted" all they would have to do is send out ONE of those for a few hours and drop us all like hotcakes.

now if we were ALL opencarrying LAW's or china lake launchers, or OCing our tanks........or our f-18's yes then we could be a threat......but pistols? seriously?! i think the anti-gunners are nuts.

i agree that texas should have better OC laws. and legalize the RIGHT to open carry. texas upholds so many AMERICAN traditions. and has a heaping serving of history and men who have died for our rights. out of all the states TEXAS SHOULD BE GUN FRIENDLY. to all that wish to follow tradition and the way of americans alike.

i hope you all get this freedom back someday. we all know a hundred years ago everyone in texas carried openly. maybe someday soon a few of you will get to again ;-)

JBarL

Well like To know one thing tho When did our Government get to be so big and I for one dont have the answer. But least right now we do have CHL so Maybe we
are going in the right direction. who knows maybe soon we will have someone to write up and present a OC bill and have it voted on and passed. The anti-gun
liberals out there thought it would be wild west blood and mayhem in the streets if they let US carry concealed, Hummmm I keep reading on the DPS website about Statistics and I must say where is all that mayhem and blood stained streets at OHHH I know exactly where it is It's in the GUN FREE ZONES. I just wonder tho
What would happened on Fort Hood if they allowed CHL carry on base the day. That so Called American who worshiped ALLAH and one of those real american
heros who that piece of trash nadel hussaine murdered in cold blood shot him. I can hear the anti gun libs on that one why where those soldiers allowed to have
their guns on base. that day I will never forget. I live 18 miles from North Fort Hood and used to work as a maintenance mechanic and everyday I had to drive to
and from work everyday unarmed .....:( I agree with everyone on this thread and I am Glad you all replied thank you Just want to say Thank You who serves or
ever served in the Best Military around I support all troops in uniform and I personally know what a sacrifice truly is its when Our hero's depart to another part of
the globe for a year or however long and they miss their family's on holidays, miss their children being born, miss family members who pass. but most of all the
ones who gave their lives so I can wake up everyday kiss my wife and not have the government telling me how or what im gonna do that particular day.

GOD BLESS AMERICA and IN GOD WE TRUST

hermannr

The best way to get OC is what WA has had since it bacame a state, Washington State constitution, Article 1, section 24:

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

The Texas constitition does not have a similar section? If not, your need on. No "permit" necessary to OC in WA. Don't go for legislation that can be restricted, put it in the state constitution.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP And I was reading this and then, there it was "Critics of open carry, on the other hand, have raised concerns about right-wing extremism and the threat of armed revolt against the U.S. government."

Now the red sentence Struck a nerve with me. is it me or is the Demowits and the way out left Libs really that damn Stupid
Dont they know that the 2nd amendment well the original was setup so We could if they got corrupted or turned to tyrrany.

No, they're not stupid.

They know good and well that the 2A is not about sporting uses or self-defense.

It is a very, very old tactic. Smear your opponent.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

Dreamer

Rick Perry is a Globalist shill. He backed the NAFTA Superhighway and the Trans-Texas Corridor, and facilitated the theft of thousands of acres of land from the good citizens of TX to hand over to a foreign company who is building (and will profit from) the TTC.

Perry sold out TX when he killed the bill before the TX legislature to outlaw TSA grope-downs.

Perry attended Bildergerg 2010 in Spain, and is an admitted Globalist. He is a threat to this nation, and to the sovereignty of the Great State of Texas.

Not only should he NOT win the Republican Primary, he should be indicted on violation of the Logan Act, and clapped in irons...

Mo

Banned
He is not afraid of speaking his mind, he does so in a clear, concise and convining manner and he is not afraid of being a conservative!!

You need to pay more attention to what Rick Perry does, not what he says.

Rick Perry would be the absolute worst choice.

disneyr

I weigh roughly 165 pounds and stand 5'10" tall. I know by lack of ignorance and a great regard for common sense that there are "uglies" out there who hold an understandable advantage in physical strength and size over me. I by no means want to tangle with a walking refrigerator hell bent on wrong doings with my bear hands. Thats just not smart! If said refrigerator was to pick me out of a crowd as easy pickins, started his criminalistic rampage in me and my family's direction and then suddenly stopped as my .45 ACP automatic revealed itself on my hip...

God made man but Colt made 'em equal. Amen Brother!

JBarL

well Im not sure about Rick Perry But all I know it couldnt get worse than what is in there at the present time. Now I'm done with that I just came to a conclusion
I'm Gonna Start OC'in On my Property An I'm Gonna Do something even More I'm gonna start hosting Bar-B-Ques And I am gonna encourage all that attend to opencarry but I will stress Make sure they are on my property. Im just gonna test the waters a little and Im gonna invite some of my Local Law enforcement friends out as well and let them see first hand just how many want the open carry law. And on that note I will also have a few public figures out as well. Need to start
submitting emails and might even invite Suzanna Hupp to the event. lol But I do wanna try to see if I can get the media involved and make it known to the
Legislators that We Citizens want OUR constitutional Rights not to be infringed NO More. if anyone thinks this is a bad idea just chime in. Like I said It will be on
Private Property.

JBarL

DWCook

Activist Member
Up in Kansas from you Texas folks we don't have much issues with OCing on property. We don't have alot of restrictions that makes it impossible to OC. We do have several issues that were all still fighting for but other than that pretty decent. I fully support OC every where and will try to attend OC meets to help with the cause, as I do fully believe in with no regrets.

Packer fan

Many self defense experts don't support OC either and they may view those that do the same way as many anti-gun enthusiast see all gun owners. How many times have you heard an expert say, "if you OC you will lose the tactical advantage, the element of surprise, or be the first to be shot" with out giving any hard facts only theoretical hypotheticals. I personally don't want the element of surprise, I just want them to avoid me.

I want to know at what point is CC a better tactic then OC?
Is it pre attack? because if a person was going to attack you while OC he surly would have if he didn't see a firearm.

Is it during an attack? What if you can't get to your firearm? I understand that they may grab your gun as the attack is going on but see above. I would think that a criminal would simply choose a different target.

Is it post attack?

If OC makes you the first target whose to say you wouldn't be the first target if you were CC?

I'm not asking what is a better method, because I don't care how one carries, but what is the TACTICAL advantage of CC over OC?

Please give me real life experiences in which CCing has deterred and attack. If one had to show firearm you then would be OC and in my State (Arkansas) that would be a felony.

Richieg150

Many self defense experts don't support OC either and they may view those that do the same way as many anti-gun enthusiast see all gun owners. How many times have you heard an expert say, "if you OC you will lose the tactical advantage, the element of surprise, or be the first to be shot" with out giving any hard facts only theoretical hypotheticals. I personally don't want the element of surprise, I just want them to avoid me. .

If this were true every LEO would be shot on sight. After all the are loosing the element of surprise and the tacticle advantage. Every convience store, that has a LEO standing inside, would immediately get robbed, LEO shot, and criminals on a rampage everywhere....... But since that doesnt seem to be happening in any place I have heard of, there must be something about someone open carrying a firearm, that keeps them from becoming victimized....and the criminals move on to a easier, nonthreatening victim.

tim12232

A wolf doesnt attack the flock with a shepherd and sheep dog, it attacks the easiest and most defenseless flock.

Last edited:

Don Barnett

My Response

Many self defense experts don't support OC either and they may view those that do the same way as many anti-gun enthusiast see all gun owners. How many times have you heard an expert say, "if you OC you will lose the tactical advantage, the element of surprise, or be the first to be shot" with out giving any hard facts only theoretical hypotheticals. I personally don't want the element of surprise, I just want them to avoid me.

I want to know at what point is CC a better tactic then OC?
Is it pre attack? because if a person was going to attack you while OC he surly would have if he didn't see a firearm.

Is it during an attack? What if you can't get to your firearm? I understand that they may grab your gun as the attack is going on but see above. I would think that a criminal would simply choose a different target.

Is it post attack?

If OC makes you the first target whose to say you wouldn't be the first target if you were CC?

I'm not asking what is a better method, because I don't care how one carries, but what is the TACTICAL advantage of CC over OC?

Please give me real life experiences in which CCing has deterred and attack. If one had to show firearm you then would be OC and in my State (Arkansas) that would be a felony.

Question: Why do you open carry?

"It keeps me away from trouble, and trouble away from me."