Thread: Federal .45 Manufactured with small pistol primers

Federal .45 Manufactured with small pistol primers

Has anyone tested or received the loading data for .45 ACP cartridge cases designed to be primed with SPP's coming from Federal instead of large? Would I need to add a few more grains of powder to achieve the same mussel velocity as a cartridge primed with a large primer? Right now I'm using 230 gn round nose, copper plated bullets, and a powder charge of 5.8 gn or Winchester 231? Will the small primers require more, less or the same powder charge?
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

I don't know that primer type has anything to do with muzzle velocity in handguns. Powder speed and volume determine velocity, assuming the primer is capable of lighting it off. But then, I don't handload.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

Have you tried calling Federal and asking them if they adjusted their powder loads to compensate for the primer difference?
    Yes, for liability reasons they will not offer any advise on reloading their ammunition. A local shop has suggested trying to load them with small pistol magnum primers.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Those are used for slow burning powder in magnum velocity revolvers. The .45ACP generally uses faster burning powder--intended for 5" barrels. Even +P 230 grain loads only go 900-925fps. You could call CCI and ask them what they think, as they are primer makers for Federal and Speer.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 07-18-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V