• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal .45 Manufactured with small pistol primers

Nevada carrier

Has anyone tested or received the loading data for .45 ACP cartridge cases designed to be primed with SPP's coming from Federal instead of large? Would I need to add a few more grains of powder to achieve the same mussel velocity as a cartridge primed with a large primer? Right now I'm using 230 gn round nose, copper plated bullets, and a powder charge of 5.8 gn or Winchester 231? Will the small primers require more, less or the same powder charge?

Gunslinger

I don't know that primer type has anything to do with muzzle velocity in handguns. Powder speed and volume determine velocity, assuming the primer is capable of lighting it off. But then, I don't handload.

Nevada carrier

Have you tried calling Federal and asking them if they adjusted their powder loads to compensate for the primer difference?​

Yes, for liability reasons they will not offer any advise on reloading their ammunition. A local shop has suggested trying to load them with small pistol magnum primers.

Gunslinger

Those are used for slow burning powder in magnum velocity revolvers. The .45ACP generally uses faster burning powder--intended for 5" barrels. Even +P 230 grain loads only go 900-925fps. You could call CCI and ask them what they think, as they are primer makers for Federal and Speer.

Last edited: