• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry questions for new mwmber and open carry vehicle questions

Rdf0022

Re posting as typing on a cell phone is a bad idea.

So I am looking for a safe and legal way to open carry when driving from home to my destination. I hope to find a way to be able to open carry in my vehicle or be able to get to my weapon faster than getting it from the trunk.

I cut out all the info on why I open carry as its a bit traumatic to me and im sure you guys wont want to hear it

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Slow down, breathe. Also, using paragraphs to do more that separate major concepts might make folks take you more seriously. I don't know anything about you except you have had a girlfriend for 13 years, drive an Infinity, and work late - and that in spite all that you write as if you are some teenager still trying to figure out the difference between putting everything that spills out of your mouth down on paper and setting out a reasoned statement of thoughts. (Yes, that's harsh, but it's what you come across as to this olde phart curmudgeon. Live with it.)

Based on what you have written I'd rather see you and your girlfriend put away your guns until you get some basic instruction in self defense - starting with awareness. Then get some training in gun-handling skills. Eventually you can progress to where you learn how to respond to an attempted car "jacking" (not car "jacket") - most of which has nothing to do with using a handgun. If you want specific recommendations I'll start with the NRA's "Refuse To Be A Victim" and "Personal Protection Outside The Home" classes. Look up the NRA on line and find out where/when those are being offered in your area. No matter how long you have been shooting it never hurts to take the Basic Marksmanship training again - which means it ought to be high on your list of classes to take. After you get the fundamentals down you can start looking at the super-tactical "operator" classes or join a practical shooting group at a range near you.

stay safe.

Firemark

Welcome to OCDO.

Slow down, breathe. Also, using paragraphs to do more that separate major concepts might make folks take you more seriously. I don't know anything about you except you have had a girlfriend for 13 years, drive an Infinity, and work late - and that in spite all that you write as if you are some teenager still trying to figure out the difference between putting everything that spills out of your mouth down on paper and setting out a reasoned statement of thoughts. (Yes, that's harsh, but it's what you come across as to this olde phart curmudgeon. Live with it.)

Based on what you have written I'd rather see you and your girlfriend put away your guns until you get some basic instruction in self defense - starting with awareness. Then get some training in gun-handling skills. Eventually you can progress to where you learn how to respond to an attempted car "jacking" (not car "jacket") - most of which has nothing to do with using a handgun. If you want specific recommendations I'll start with the NRA's "Refuse To Be A Victim" and "Personal Protection Outside The Home" classes. Look up the NRA on line and find out where/when those are being offered in your area. No matter how long you have been shooting it never hurts to take the Basic Marksmanship training again - which means it ought to be high on your list of classes to take. After you get the fundamentals down you can start looking at the super-tactical "operator" classes or join a practical shooting group at a range near you.

stay safe.

+1 well written sir.

Rdf0022

Hey Skidmark,

Thank you for the reply I appreciate the info. I also appreciated the way you responded to the way I wrote that post, sometimes I fail at posting info while typing on my phone as it is not as easy to get all the formatting down correctly and the god aweful way that these phones aouto correct or auto parse words before they are fully typed out. Now I do know that post comes off like a dumb teenager with a new toy, however steph and i are far from that. I like you said let my feelings about what happened to us invade my typing and punctuation skills and I truly apologize for that.

Stephanie and myself have been around firearms all our life. We have been very thankful to have family that has raised us from a young age to respect firearms and we have spent many many hours upon hours at the range with members of law enforcment training us as well as taking different handgun safetey and selfdefence classes. However we are now wanting to be able to protect our lives and those of our loved ones as well as any other citizens in danger.

Now I did ask my family (5) who are in law enforcement about this but as some of you know they have a different view about open carry and have told me if I open carry I could be arrested. I took the time to educate them on the law that allows us to open carry however they are set in their ways and can't give me the info I was looking for.

Thanks again for your time (hopefully this looks better as these phones are a pits to type on )

ryanburbridge

Hey good to see you made it to the forum!!!

I still owe you an email reply.

Looks like you found out on your first post how these forums work sometimes. Take most stuff on here with a grain of salt and tough skin. I would also recommend using tools to double check someone's explanation of the law. Search term ( leg info ) it's a good start.

When it comes to carrying a gun in your car it never has to be in the trunk. I would not carry my gun in the trunk.

From cal doj http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

Here is my setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqmt4LSir10&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

Last edited: