• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

strang encounter - you tell me what it was

Whitney

Something Very Wrong Here

My gut says you (or perhaps someone else) were targeted, call me a conspiracy theorist if you want but there are a few things that do not add up for me.

1. (Time of day) He could have stayed under cover of darkness and avoided you but chose not to. (WHY??)

2. (Confrontational) Saying nothing he closed the distance between the two of you. (hair standing up)

3. (Furtive) He was clearly being secretive and avoided you noticing him. (Leads me to believe guilty conscience)

The next day he recognizes you and concedes he did not mean to scare you.

This character bears some close watching in my book.

~Whitney

amlevin

late at night a man is dressed head to toe in black.... ummm do you have issues with car prowlers in you apartment? having lived in aprtments for a couple years of my life I have found vehicle break ins being a huge deal. the sounds of it the garbage fenced area is a great place to hide and case the area. you may want to inquire about breakins.

Hey, maybe the guy just finished a smoke and he went in there because he didn't want anyone seeing his crack pipe.

ColeMD17

What if he had whipped his hand out of his pocket very fast, he would have had the draw on ya.

Here's a what if... What if you pissed him off and in the dark did not see your firearm, (badeyes, high, whatever), and he started coming towards you saying "I'm going to kick your ass"? If he started at 21 feet, how many feet before you draw, and how many feet before you fire on an unarmed person? Now a change, instead of "I'm going to kick your ass" what if it was "I'm going to kill you"? Does the distance of draw and fire change? Do you have to let them hit you first so it is self defense?

For me, it depends on how dangerous this person is while unarmed. I'll go ahead and duke it out with Robert Pattinson, but I'm not gonna bet my life on a fistfight with John Cena. If he says he's going to attack me, he gets a double tap to the chest... Okay, well, if I judge that I am able to do so in the situation, I'll draw on him and give him a very forceful spoken warning first... but only after he has threatened me.

Let's just say our Deepthroat here is a pretty big guy.

Shadowy Suspect: (starts towards me.) I'm gonna kick/kill your puny ass.
Cole: (draws gun, points it at hostile) No, you're not. Go away right now.

At this point he will A: Back down and go away. B: Stop, but try to preserve his toughness by continuing to taunt me, or C: rush me.

if A: The problem is solved. (at least for now.) I reholster, keep my head on a swivel and my hand on my gun while I quickly go get my mail and move on with my life.

if B: THIS is a TENSE SITUATION, let me tell you! It could go south at any moment, both he and I are walking on eggshells in a minefield on thin ice here. I need to get out of there. I keep my gun on him while I head back to my apartment, the entire time, I'm a broken record, communicating to him "Let's not do this, man, just leave me alone, I don't wanna do this, I don't wanna shoot you, just let me go..." If i get all the way to my apartment, I lock myself in and call the police.

if C: and 1: I have enough distance, (>21') I move away or diagonally away, gun still on him while yelling "STOP! STOP!" at which point he either stops and we revert to scenario B, or he gets to 2: (<21') and I shoot him.

good system, or no?

Last edited: