Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Came out of Home Depot, and There he Was!!!!

  1. #1
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504

    Came out of Home Depot, and There he Was!!!!

    Howdy Folks!
    I got off work last evening, and before leaving Brighton to head on home, decided I would stop in at the Home Depot
    to get some "Private Property, no trespassing" signs for our home.

    Don't know exactly how long I was in there, but when I came out, I saw an LEO who was driving an unmarked car.
    My pistol was holstered on my left side (cross draw) and there was no way I could pass him without him seeing my
    pistol. Several things flashed through my mind, like "Oh, I forgot something in the store and need to go back inside."
    Nevertheless, I decided the best thing would be to go out to my car and walk right directly past him.

    He was talking with another citizen and looked as I approached. I smiled and waved at him, and he waved back.
    I continued walking to my car, half expecting a voice from behind me but none came. As I put my gear into the
    car, I looked over to see him drive away, with nothing said or done.

    I must admit to drawing a deep breath to relax, because I figured a confrontation might be forthcoming. I was glad
    none did, because I was bone tired. I got in my car and drove home. Guess the LEOs in Brighton understand that
    open carry is legal, and see no need to bother a citizen going about his lawful business.

    All's well that ends that way.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  2. #2
    Regular Member Cesar A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    20

    Uberness!!!

    Yeah LEO seem to be OK with OC everywhere so far, sometime i get paranoid too so the Police Department of areas i want to visit to make sure OC is ok lol but i have yet to have someone say anything bad to me. Civilians also seem not to care as the only interaction I ever have with them is when they ask me if I am an off duty cop or just someone exercising my rights . Also, from what I have seen if you act regularly and just walk pass them while acknowledging their presence LEOs seem to relax more around us. WHATEVER YOU do just don’t run with the gun holstered LOL .

  3. #3
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    This is Colorado--not including the PDR of Denver, so why are you surprised that the vast majority of cops understand and respect our 2A rights? In the Springs, you would never get a second glance if you were going about your business in peaceful commerce or transit even if you were carrying a .50 AE Dessert Eagle. Read the thread in the Kalifornia section I just responded to, then thank the Lord you live in a Free State.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 07-15-2011 at 01:28 PM.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  4. #4
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    This is Colorado--not including the PDR of Denver, so why are you surprised that the vast majority of cops understand and respect our 2A rights? In the Springs, you would never get a second glance if you were going about your business in peaceful commerce or transit even if you were carrying a .50 AE Dessert Eagle. Read the thread in the Kalifornia section I just responded to, then thank the Lord you live in a Free State.
    Howdy Gunslinger!
    It is my experience that Murphy's law is not only right most of the time, but that Murphy was a real optimist.
    And that if it can go wrong, it will usually do so for me! So I do find myself surprised when I don't have issues.
    I was paranoid about whether I could buy a handgun until I finally broke down and bought one. I was surprised
    then I was able to do so without any trouble whatsoever. Now I am busy being paranoid about whether I'll be
    approved for my CCW, and won't stop fretting about that one until I am pleasantly surprised to find it in the mail
    one of these days. It's just how I am, I guess. If I haven't got something to fret about, I just ain't functional.

    But stories like these reinforce my sense of concern when open carrying.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-carry-lawsuit

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ven-at-Belmar)

    Just don't know how ready I am to tangle with an LEO like what Lockster reported, coming along with his own pistol
    already drawn and presenting a threat.

    Yes, Colorado for the most part is just fine. But there are instances where things go badly wrong.
    From bitter experience, I've noticed that if they can go wrong, they usually do where I'm concerned.

    Then again, most of what I worry about never happens.
    Guess I'll just carry on and hope for the best.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  5. #5
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Gunslinger!
    It is my experience that Murphy's law is not only right most of the time, but that Murphy was a real optimist.
    And that if it can go wrong, it will usually do so for me! So I do find myself surprised when I don't have issues.
    I was paranoid about whether I could buy a handgun until I finally broke down and bought one. I was surprised
    then I was able to do so without any trouble whatsoever. Now I am busy being paranoid about whether I'll be
    approved for my CCW, and won't stop fretting about that one until I am pleasantly surprised to find it in the mail
    one of these days. It's just how I am, I guess. If I haven't got something to fret about, I just ain't functional.

    But stories like these reinforce my sense of concern when open carrying.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-carry-lawsuit

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ven-at-Belmar)

    Just don't know how ready I am to tangle with an LEO like what Lockster reported, coming along with his own pistol
    already drawn and presenting a threat.

    Yes, Colorado for the most part is just fine. But there are instances where things go badly wrong.
    From bitter experience, I've noticed that if they can go wrong, they usually do where I'm concerned.

    Then again, most of what I worry about never happens.
    Guess I'll just carry on and hope for the best.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Always a chance of bad ju-ju. But that chance is much less in a Free State than a Slave State. And if something does go wrong, courts in CO have shown little patience with those who violate our rights.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  6. #6
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Why have we allowed ourselves to come to the point in this country when we worry about LEO busting us for legal behavior? Coming out of Home Depot and we want to run and hide back inside because there is a guy with a badge and uniform in our path?
    Howdy Pardner!
    Then again, could be me. I tend to fret about things, and those things I fret about tend not to happen.
    Still, all things considered, the reports of LEO encounters for this legal behavior are both compelling and
    many. Some of them are stuck in the juggernaut of our legal process, putting out money and time to
    defend their legal behavior. Skidmark is in that situation right now. And I've been told to expect
    harassment for open carry, whether it is legal or not.

    So, them's the berries. It is what it is. Why it got that way is nearly irrelevant. That we stand up against
    that paradigm is what is important, and to drive change is the whole point of forums such as OCDO. If we
    want our Constitutional rights, we gotta be prepared to take a stand. Even if that stand is in court. Do I
    want a confrontation with a heavy handed LEO? Nope. Do I mind chatting with a reasonable LEO? No, I
    don't. Most of them are just trying to get through their day, mellow and groovy. But we all know there are
    some on testosterone overload who view this legal behavior as a challenge to their territory, carefully
    marked by their pheremones.

    I sincerely believe the vast majority of cops are really dedicated to 'serve and protect'. I do fret about
    those who somehow sneaked by the psych eval to end up with a badge and a gun. The guy who confronted
    Lokster is a real good example. The officer approached from behind with his weapon already drawn, no RAS
    or probable cause. Lokster's complaint to Internal Affairs in Lakewood got him a senior officer who defended
    the street cop by saying "That's how we've always done it." Well, in the case of a law abiding citizen who
    is merely carrying a pistol while walking his dog, perfectly in accord with our 2nd Amendment, how they've
    always done it is dead wrong. Luckily, Lokster isn't dead right!

    Every encounter of a positive nature with an LEO only helps to establish confidence on my part, and I'm
    already much more comfortable today than when I started carrying, like 2 months ago. In coming weeks,
    months and years, I'm sure I will grow to feel much less concerned. Experience breeds confidence.

    But until that day, I'll remain wary and on my guard. Only a fool engages in an ideological war unarmed.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Last edited by M-Taliesin; 07-16-2011 at 08:14 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member OldCurlyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    912
    M-Taliesin,

    "But until that day, I'll remain wary and on my guard. Only a fool engages in an ideological war unarmed."

    Reminds me of one of my favorite philosophies: "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person".
    Also stated as: "I refuse to have a battle of wits with the unarmed".

    Following that philosophy prevents this:

    OCW
    Last edited by OldCurlyWolf; 07-19-2011 at 06:22 PM.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

    Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

  8. #8
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Folks!
    I got off work last evening, and before leaving Brighton to head on home, decided I would stop in at the Home Depot
    to get some...
    Thanks for sharing your experience and reactions, M-T. That was an honest and thoughtful slice of (OC) life.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Reminds me of one of my favorite philosophies: "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person".
    Amen.

    I shopped at Kohl's this morning, not OCing, as I'd heard the tales, but CCing. No mention was made of my carrying, but when the cashier demanded to see my ID with my credit card, I politely declined, citing Master-Merchant agreement. She insisted and motioned over her manager, who turned out to be a royal PITA. She interrupted, then began berating me without my having been able to put a word in edgewise. I'm not one to banter words in public, and I'm certainly not one allow myself to be treated like trash, so I left her royal highness, the Princess of Willful Ignorance, as she babbled on through mouth agape, and was on the phone relating my experience to Kohl's Corporate office within 15 minutes.

    In some ways I wish I'd been OCing... Although it might have shut her up, it may also have completely overshadowed the MasterCard issue. As it was, I complained about the MasterCard violation three levels up, all of whom where appalled at the manager's behavior, while I simultaneously filled out MasterCard's online reporting form specifically designed to report such departures from the MasterCard-Merchant contract.

    Later today I received an e-mailed, yet signed letter of apology from Kohl's which touched on the manager's aberrant behavior and the corrective action corporate would take to ensure it never happens again!

    Oh, how I wish stores such as Kohl's were so forthright and proper when it came to the issue of us exercising the Constitutional rights upon which our Country was founded.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Amen.

    I shopped at Kohl's this morning, not OCing, as I'd heard the tales, but CCing. No mention was made of my carrying, but when the cashier demanded to see my ID with my credit card, I politely declined, citing Master-Merchant agreement. She insisted and motioned over her manager, who turned out to be a royal PITA. She interrupted, then began berating me without my having been able to put a word in edgewise. I'm not one to banter words in public, and I'm certainly not one allow myself to be treated like trash, so I left her royal highness, the Princess of Willful Ignorance, as she babbled on through mouth agape, and was on the phone relating my experience to Kohl's Corporate office within 15 minutes.

    In some ways I wish I'd been OCing... Although it might have shut her up, it may also have completely overshadowed the MasterCard issue. As it was, I complained about the MasterCard violation three levels up, all of whom where appalled at the manager's behavior, while I simultaneously filled out MasterCard's online reporting form specifically designed to report such departures from the MasterCard-Merchant contract.

    Later today I received an e-mailed, yet signed letter of apology from Kohl's which touched on the manager's aberrant behavior and the corrective action corporate would take to ensure it never happens again!

    Oh, how I wish stores such as Kohl's were so forthright and proper when it came to the issue of us exercising the Constitutional rights upon which our Country was founded.
    I open carry at Kohl's here in VA all the time, never had an issue. Good that they responded quickly and correctly to your concern.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  11. #11
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pueblo West, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    120
    Hey, would you mind posting the link to this?

    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    while I simultaneously filled out MasterCard's online reporting form specifically designed to report such departures from the MasterCard-Merchant contract.
    .

  12. #12
    Regular Member Polynikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by bogidu View Post
    Hey, would you mind posting the link to this?
    I think something like this is what you're looking for.

    “Although Visa Rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures.”
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •