• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Kentucky and open carry... Have some questions.

Meshuggah

Hello everyone.

I was referred to these forums by a member on other boards.

I recently moved to Kentucky from Virginia and was informed that I need to wait 6 months before I can get my CCW permit as a KY resident. I was very bummed out because I have been CCW for the past 6 years and not gone more than a day without protection for myself and my family. I was suggested to open carry in the mean time. I have no experience with this but have been reading these forums for info.

I was hoping someone could inform me better or point me to a link with more info about specifically OC in kentucky. I live in northern KY outside of cincinnati OH. The fort wright/ covington/ florence area to be specific. Anybody have any experience with OC here? Any of you live in this area? I have been informed by EMTs who work in my area that drug related crimes including home invasion, robbery, and shootings are increasing here. I honestly dont feel safe in our crime ridden world now a days without personal protection.

The main concern I have with OC is being hassled about it by LEOs or refused service etc. from a business.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!!!! Do you have a valid VA CPL? If so, Kentucky honors that. In addition, Kentucky is pretty OC friendly, at least when I was there.

Last edited:

langzaiguy

Welcome! Yes, legally you need to wait six months for your CCDW. I don't think they checked the length of my residency, however. As far as OC intricacies are concerned, you're best serve by doing a search. It's actually quite easy and convenient to OC in KY. With your vehicle, you may carry in any factory compartment without a CCDW. As for northern KY, Hotrod lives up there and can attest to little or no problems.

hotrod

Welcome! Yes, legally you need to wait six months for your CCDW. I don't think they checked the length of my residency, however. As far as OC intricacies are concerned, you're best serve by doing a search. It's actually quite easy and convenient to OC in KY. With your vehicle, you may carry in any factory compartment without a CCDW. As for northern KY, Hotrod lives up there and can attest to little or no problems.

Yes, I do live in NKY and open carry often. No one will ask any questions. I looked and could find no reason that you can't carry on your VA. conceal permit until you get our CDWL. If you get your drivers license and take the CDWL course, I don't know of any of the 3 counties (Boone, Kenton, Campbell) that would ask your residency time and I'm not sure the application ask. Also, gutshot seems to be the resident agent on Kentucky law. He is much better than I. He can give you more information. But, openly carrying in NKY is good.

Meshuggah

Yes, I do live in NKY and open carry often. No one will ask any questions. I looked and could find no reason that you can't carry on your VA. conceal permit until you get our CDWL. If you get your drivers license and take the CDWL course, I don't know of any of the 3 counties (Boone, Kenton, Campbell) that would ask your residency time and I'm not sure the application ask. Also, gutshot seems to be the resident agent on Kentucky law. He is much better than I. He can give you more information. But, openly carrying in NKY is good.

So you are saying my VA permit would still be valid even though I would be a KY resident with a KY ID card and obviously the address wouldnt match? Doesnt seem like that would fly. I do live in Kenton co. and if no one asks anywhere how long ive been a resident then I would probably get the CDWL asap. I need to get a different holster so I can try the open carry. My current one does not have any way to keep the gun in it. I dont want someone trying to snatch it from my side.

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it.

hotrod

So you are saying my VA permit would still be valid even though I would be a KY resident with a KY ID card and obviously the address wouldnt match? Doesnt seem like that would fly. I do live in Kenton co. and if no one asks anywhere how long ive been a resident then I would probably get the CDWL asap. I need to get a different holster so I can try the open carry. My current one does not have any way to keep the gun in it. I dont want someone trying to snatch it from my side.

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it.

What I am saying is, I can't find where it says you can not carry on your VA permit. I've looked, and I'm hoping Gutshot can help. I have looked through KRS 237 and I can find nothing that says you can't, at least till you get your Kentucky CDWL. Kenton County is a no problem carry area. The Covington Police and Kenton County Sheriff know the law and will not bother you. Carry On!

flb_78

Im sure that once you surrender your VA driver's license, that your VA CCDW will no longer be valid as you no longer have a presence in VA.

I would not chance carrying on an out of state CCDW with a different address on it than what's on your driver's license.

mark1123

I also live in the NKY area, open carry nearly every day for over a year now and have never had a problem. I've walked past LEOs from several cities/counties, noticed that they looked directly at my glock, and just went on doing what they were doing. That's the way it should be.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
this is where having a non-resident CC license/permit from another state works to your benefit. Does VA issue non-resident permits, if so can you convert yours?

As soon as I set up residency in Kentucky in Sept I can convert my Washington state to a non-resident and carry on ( I also have 5 other non-res license/permits).

TWeatherford

My understanding is that VA offers non-resident permits. Should be easy and fast for you to get your resident permit transferred to a non-res permit, and the new one would have your KY address on it. Of course the way it should be and the way it actually is often don't line up. I know that if you really wanted to CC, many states offer non-resident permits that KY honors, though the wait may be close to as long as it is to get a KY permit with the 6 month wait.

FWIW, they did check my residency when I picked up my KY permit at the sheriffs office. I just used a car title that had been issued a year earlier, although I think a utility bill would have also sufficed. Come to think of it they normally use a drivers license, but mine was brand new so they needed the alternate proof. So they may check everybody, without their knowing, by just looking at their DL which is a standard thing to hand over every time you walk into a government office. So you could do the class, and apply for the permit before the 6 months is up, and actually pick it up once you have lived here 6 months.

mnickxd40

TW is righ.t I got my Kentucky drivers License. went and took the course, then applied for my ccdw. I showed my Kentucky License to pick- up my ccdw. never waited no 6 months.

Savage206

Welcome to OCDO!!!! Do you have a valid VA CPL? If so, Kentucky honors that. In addition, Kentucky is pretty OC friendly, at least when I was there.

THIS IS BAD ADVICE!!!! I am moving to KY in 2 weeks and contacted the State Patrol and was told that once I submit the form to officially change my address to n address in KY, my out of state CCW (WA State, KY does honor it...) WILL NO LONGER BE VALID. Do the research yourself, don't take anyone else's word for it. If you get caught concealing even if you thought you were legal, it could mean you won't be able to apply for a KY CCW once that 6 month waiting period is over. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Meshuggah

Thank you guys for all your input. As far as my situation goes, I will try out OC in the very near future. I think that it is a good thing that bad guys can SEE you are armed as opposed to finding out. I still plan on getting my CCDW permit as well for situations that would require it. I just need to wait a few weeks to get some spare cash for two new holsters (one for my wife to OC too :) ). I hope to see other OCs out there. Ive only seen one since I moved here. He was getting some chow at a subway, I think it was on dixie highway.

hotrod

Thank you guys for all your input. As far as my situation goes, I will try out OC in the very near future. I think that it is a good thing that bad guys can SEE you are armed as opposed to finding out. I still plan on getting my CCDW permit as well for situations that would require it. I just need to wait a few weeks to get some spare cash for two new holsters (one for my wife to OC too :) ). I hope to see other OCs out there. Ive only seen one since I moved here. He was getting some chow at a subway, I think it was on dixie highway.

That may have been me. Next time say hi!

Meshuggah

If it was you, you would remember this particular time. It was the subway across from a Rally's. The line was taking forever because there was only one employee. The line was to the door.

There is a shoe repair place and a printing store next to it.

That would be funny if it was you :D

Savage206

I just moved to KY two days ago and this is what I have learned. I moved from WA State, KY DOES honor my CPL. HOWEVER, once you submit your change of address forms, UNLESS THE STATE YOU ARE MOVING FROM HONORS KENTUCK'YS CPL, your concelaed permit becomes void and you MUST wait 6 months to apply for a KY state CPL.

If VA honors the KY permit however then since you already have a VA CPL you can walk in and apply for one the day you get here. I have checked this with numerous sources including the KY State Patrol.

Hope this helps.
:banana:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I just moved to KY two days ago and this is what I have learned. I moved from WA State, KY DOES honor my CPL. HOWEVER, once you submit your change of address forms, UNLESS THE STATE YOU ARE MOVING FROM HONORS KENTUCK'YS CPL, your concelaed permit becomes void and you MUST wait 6 months to apply for a KY state CPL.

If VA honors the KY permit however then since you already have a VA CPL you can walk in and apply for one the day you get here. I have checked this with numerous sources including the KY State Patrol.

Hope this helps.
:banana:

Contact the dept of licensing in washington and change your address. WA does not have a resident/nonresident license. Once your address is updated for KY you are now legal.

Ponder85

I also live in the NKY area, open carry nearly every day for over a year now and have never had a problem. I've walked past LEOs from several cities/counties, noticed that they looked directly at my glock, and just went on doing what they were doing. That's the way it should be.

I also live in independence, close to Oliver road. I don't think I've ever seen anyone oc out here. I have a cc permit, but would like to open carry. Any places I should avoid? I'm kind of nervous about doing it.

Meshuggah

I also live in independence, close to Oliver road. I don't think I've ever seen anyone oc out here. I have a cc permit, but would like to open carry. Any places I should avoid? I'm kind of nervous about doing it.

I was nervous about doing it too. Now that im doing it more and more im feeling better about it.

I live like 3 miles from you up 17 down old madison pike 3035.

Ponder85

I was nervous about doing it too. Now that im doing it more and more im feeling better about it.

I live like 3 miles from you up 17 down old madison pike 3035.

I've looked through the ky constitution and the statutes and I don't see anywhere that states you can oc. What do you guys base the legality of this on?