• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Kentucky and open carry... Have some questions.

Thos.Jefferson

Ky Bill of Rights

I've looked through the ky constitution and the statutes and I don't see anywhere that states you can oc. What do you guys base the legality of this on?

Here ya' go hot shot, from Our Commonwealth's Constitution, section number one. Take note of the seventh Article.

All men are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned:

First: The right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties.

Second: The right of worshipping Almighty God according to the dictates of their consciences.

Third: The right of seeking and pursuing their safety and happiness.

Fourth: The right of freely communicating their thoughts and opinions.

Fifth: The right of acquiring and protecting property.

Sixth: The right of assembling together in a peaceable manner for their common good, and of applying to those invested with the power of government for redress of grievances or other proper purposes, by petition, address or remonstrance.

Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons

Bear:to carry or hold something, for example a weapon.
Plain enough for ya'?

Ponder85

Thanks for the info guys. I figured it was the first section of the constitution. Is there anything an ******* cop could do to me for it? Like, get me on another law? Panic, etc?

hotrod

Thanks for the info guys. I figured it was the first section of the constitution. Is there anything an ******* cop could do to me for it? Like, get me on another law? Panic, etc?

As said before, a police officer can write you for anything, but can it be sustained by the court? NO! And it opens the LEO for civil liability. They may try to bully you some, which has never happened to me open carrying, just stand your ground and know the law.

CharleyCherokee

Hotrod pretty much said it. You're not breaking the law, but that doesn't really matter. If a cop wants to arrest you they will arrest you. Sometimes they'll just make it up as they go along. It does open them up, but it also goes to show you that it's always best to have a recorder or some kind of proof. For the same reason I carry a gun I carry a recorder. Not every citizen is a thug, but a few are so I carry a gun to protect myself. Not every cop is corrupt, but a few are so I carry a recorder to protect from their lies.