• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Department of the Army Corps of Engineer's - Lake WA Ship Canal

jt59

This came up a while ago, and so, as per the requirement of approval of the District Commander's permission, I made the request for written permission to carry my sidearm in a legal manner when visiting the locks and while on property for the principle purpose of personal self defense.

Alternatively, I also asked about any procedures for "lock" boxes if available.

The Colonel wrote me back......(in part)

Colonel Anthony Wright
District Commander
Seattle District, Corps of Engineers
PO Bx 3755
Seattle, Wa 98124

Dr. Mr JT59,

This letter is in response to your inquiry dated June 6th, 2011 regarding the prohibition of carrying firearms at water resources development projects managed by the Seattle Distric US Army Corps of Engineers.

Your request to carry a loaded firearm or other weapon on water resources development projects under the supervision of the Seattle District. pursuant to 33 CFR 327.13(a)(4), is denied. The interest of safety and navigation security for the locks precludes me from allowing members of the public to carry weapons anywhere at the locks.

In your letter, you referenced recent Federal legislation regarding the authorization to possess firearms on public lands. Section 512 of the Credit Card Act of 2009 pertains exclusively and specifically to units of the National Parks System and NWR systems. As a component to the Department of Defense, Public Law 111-24 does not apply to the Dept. of Army or to Corps projects or facilities.

The firearms regulations for the public, accessing Corps water resources projects are found at 33 CFR 327.13.
The firearm prohibitions at Section 327.13 are not based on Public Law11-24 but instead rely on the general regulatory authorities of the Cheif of Engineer's under 33 U.S.Code 1 and 16 USC 460.d

As to lock boxes, it is my decision not to engage in storing firearms, even temporarily, on our properties as our staff are not equipped to handle such a reasponsibility. The safety of both our staff and the visiting public are of paramount concern to me.

We employ a variety of security measures at the Locks, some of which are not visible to the public. We have trained staff to respond to minor incidents and work closely with the SPD, which has law enforcement jurisdiction at the locks. If you have any questions, please contact XXXXXX @ BR-549, Blah, Blah, Blah

....Are we clear?....I said, ARE WE CLEAR?

Crystal!

I may not be visiting the locks anytime soon...

Last edited:

Metalhead47

1. A Credit Card act having anything to do with guns... :rolleyes::banghead:

2. SO this guy's a Colonel... has had some measure of weapons training... has likely spent large portions of time in the company of armed people.... has possibly even served in combat where the whole point is to be armed.... yet thinks that being armed is a safety risk.... :banghead::cuss:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Army Corp Gun Ban Repeal Vote Coming This Week in the House Legislation
http://www.ammoland.com/2011/07/13/a...(ammoland)

The Gosar amendment, modeled after the Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act (H.R. 1865) introduced by pro-gun Rep. Bob Gibbs (R-OH), is similar to a 2009 law repealing the gun ban on National Park Service land. Army Corps of Engineers land was not part of that bill, something the Corps was quick to point out after that law took affect.
The Corps said, in a statement: “Public Law 111-024 does not apply to Corps projects or facilities . . . [and the Army Corps] will continue to prohibit loaded concealed weapons on Corps properties regardless of the new law and notwithstanding any contrary provisions of state law.”

The amendment will reverse the Corps’ decision and remedy the “oversight” of the lands bill.
“The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act is a bipartisan effort that seeks to correct this oversight and restore Second Amendment rights to law-abiding citizens while they are legally camping, hunting, and fishing on the 11.7 million acres of Army Corps recreational property,” Rep. Gibbs said.

Rep. Gosar notes that “this amendment will restore continuity to federal lands and ensure that constitutional rights are consistently protected.”

Nationally, the Army Corps of Engineers controls 400 lake and river projects, 90,000 campsites and 4,000 miles of trails. A vote on the Gosar amendment could come as early as Thursday.

Last edited: