• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Revision to the US Army Corps of Engineers gun ban to be voted on next week

jt59

Greetings....

This is a post from M1-Gunner on the WA website. This important vote is coming up as soon as next week and will correct the oversight from 2009 legislation allowing guns in National Parks.

Army Corp Gun Ban Repeal Vote Coming This Week in the House Legislation

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/07/13/...m=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ammoland+(ammoland)

The Gosar amendment, modeled after the Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act (H.R. 1865) introduced by pro-gun Rep. Bob Gibbs (R-OH), is similar to a 2009 law repealing the gun ban on National Park Service land. Army Corps of Engineers land was not part of that bill, something the Corps was quick to point out after that law took affect.
The Corps said, in a statement: “Public Law 111-024 does not apply to Corps projects or facilities . . . [and the Army Corps] will continue to prohibit loaded concealed weapons on Corps properties regardless of the new law and notwithstanding any contrary provisions of state law.”

The amendment will reverse the Corps’ decision and remedy the “oversight” of the lands bill.
“The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act is a bipartisan effort that seeks to correct this oversight and restore Second Amendment rights to law-abiding citizens while they are legally camping, hunting, and fishing on the 11.7 million acres of Army Corps recreational property,” Rep. Gibbs said.

Rep. Gosar notes that “this amendment will restore continuity to federal lands and ensure that constitutional rights are consistently protected.”

Nationally, the Army Corps of Engineers controls 400 lake and river projects, 90,000 campsites and 4,000 miles of trails. A vote on the Gosar amendment could come as early as Thursday.

About halfway down in the Ammoland link above is an 'ACTION" link to take you directly to send a message to your congressman.

Last edited:

TFred

Interesting background on this... who knew?

TFred

US Army Corps of Engineers Recreation Areas

Snip:

If the National Park Service is the rich uncle of the natural resource agencies, the Army Corps of Engineers (COE) is the rich uncle you never met.

The Army Corps of Engineers actually predates the United States of America being founded by George Washington during the Revolutionary War in 1775, one year before the Declaration of Independence. How's that for an Uncle you never met?​

papa bear

not sure if mine went through. showed an error message, but i will use my personal contacts
this is an issue that has bothered me since we have a couple of army corp project near me. there shouldn't be any restriction at all on public property

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I'm hesitant to send anything without seeing the actual wording to be used. If this is some crap that is just applicable to CHiP-ers and such then I'm not going to bother writing.

TFred

Looks pretty straightforward.

Key sections state:

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear Arms at Water Resources Development Projects- The Secretary of the Army shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm at a water resources development project covered under section 327.0 of title 36, Code of Federal Regulations (as in effect on the date of enactment of this Act), if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the water resources development project is located.​

TFred

ETA: It should be noted that the subject of this post is an amendment that will apparently be offered to an unrelated bill, which is said to be patterned after the legislation I pasted above. The legislation I mentioned is still buried in a sub-committee.

Last edited:

TFred

T

TWG2A

Yawn...

Yet another in the relentless attacks on our Second Amendment Rights. When will those "critters" get a clue? Probably has something to do with the fact that our Citizens are, for the most part, zombies.

Death by a thousand (or million, in this case) paper cuts.

The Big Guy

I just recieved this email from Rep. Joe Heck

July 28, 2011

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thank you for contacting me to share your support for Representative Paul Gosar's (R-AZ) amendment to H.R. 2354, a bill making appropriations for energy and water development for fiscal year 2012. As a strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights, I share your views and appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Like you, I agree that the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding, responsible Nevadans must not be infringed. Our country has important laws and systems in place to protect the public, and they have been largely effective.

As you may know, Representative Gosar's amendment protects the rights of responsible individuals to bear arms at water resources development projects managed by the Army Corps of Engineers. With my strong support, this amendment was agreed to by voice vote on July 14, 2011.

You will also be pleased to know that I have signed on as a co-sponsor to H.R. 822, a bill that would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. This legislation also applies to D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories. It would not create a federal licensing system; rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. I also voted to support an amendment to H.R. 1, the continuing resolution to fund the federal government for fiscal year (FY) 2011, which prohibits the BATFE from collecting information on multiple sales of rifles or shotguns to the same person.

I will oppose measures that place further restrictions on the millions of responsible Americans who choose to exercise their Second Amendment rights. Please be assured that I share your concerns with protecting our Second Amendment rights and I will remember your concerns as these matters are considered by the House of Representatives.

For additional information, please visit my website, http://www.heck.house.gov. From this site you can access statements about current events or pending legislation, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for Nevadans.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and it is an honor to serve you in Congress. Your suggestions are always welcome, and if ever I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

DR. JOE HECK
Member of Congress

TBG

since9

Campaign Veteran
I find it interesting that the "Army" Corps of Engineers would be so frightened of firearms, while my tree-hugging friends and I have no problem carrying firearms while hiking, backpacking, and camping.