• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mills Fleet Farm DOES NOT ALLOW OPEN CARRY!

BROKENSPROKET

I still OC @ Blains Farm & Fleet.

I still OC at Blains Farm & Fleet. I know about corp. policy, but I love the store I have shopped at for 30+ years, so after boycotting the store for a couple of months, I went back to the store, shopped along time and asked as many questions from as many employees as I could pushing that cart down every single ailse in the store atleast once. I gave them every opportunity to ask me to leave, I bought alot more than I needed to. I wanted everything I bought, but I am usually alot more frugal. I was expecting to be confronted so I could leave behind a full cart of lost sales as message to them, but it never happened. So, this store got rewarded. I have OC'd there many times before they posted some stores and corporate confirmed they had a no-gun policy, and I have OC many times after and never has it been an issue at this store. Never. If the managers at this store refuse to enforce that policy, then I am buycotting this store.

Mlutz

I still OC at Blains Farm & Fleet. I know about corp. policy, but I love the store I have shopped at for 30+ years, so after boycotting the store for a couple of months, I went back to the store, shopped along time and asked as many questions from as many employees as I could pushing that cart down every single ailse in the store atleast once. I gave them every opportunity to ask me to leave, I bought alot more than I needed to. I wanted everything I bought, but I am usually alot more frugal. I was expecting to be confronted so I could leave behind a full cart of lost sales as message to them, but it never happened. So, this store got rewarded. I have OC'd there many times before they posted some stores and corporate confirmed they had a no-gun policy, and I have OC many times after and never has it been an issue at this store. Never. If the managers at this store refuse to enforce that policy, then I am buycotting this store.

And HERE is the problem... We ALL know F&F has an ANTI GUN policy... You going into that store to spend ONE CENT... Next time you need oc help... Take me off the list...

BROKENSPROKET

And HERE is the problem... We ALL know F&F has an ANTI GUN policy... You going into that store to spend ONE CENT... Next time you need oc help... Take me off the list...

That's OK. I know I got friends I can count on.

-I came down to Sussex for the protest at State Patrol HQ.
-I worked several gun shows and tea party events with a WCI table for Hubert and by myself and a freind.
-I took earlier versions of an OC pamphlet and revised it which thousands got printed and distributed around the state.
-With the help of several friends, I put on a picnic in Eau Claire where over 250 peolpe showed up.
-I had a situation with a manager at a Wal-Mart, and before I left, he was apologizing to me. I took care of it.
-I helped bring on an Open Carry picnic to Stevens Point.
-Shortly after the Madison 5 incident, I went down to Madistan for a week end. I OC'd every where I went. Up and down State St. and the Capital Square. All over the East Towne area. I got the attention of MPD and Capital Police, but none of them would approach me. I went down there by myself(I was hoping someone would join me) to make a stand and let them know we will not back down or be scared off to show support for the Madison 5.

I am not trying to brag or bet my chest. I just want to point out that I do have freinds that will help me out if I need it. I don't think that I will loose the support of all my friends because I chose not to boycott and still OC in a certain store that reufses to enforce a certain corporate policy.

There are alot of times I did not get involved when i could have, so I am OK if you and others choose not to help me if I ever need it becasue I am buycotting a certain Blain's Farm & Fleet store.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I respect everyone's decision to patronize whatever stores they feel like.

Each individual person has to make the choices that are best for them.

I don't like the fact that I can't OC at the post office, but I still go there to mail letters and buy stamps. True, I could ship everything WCI mails out via UPS, but that would quintuple our mailing cots.

If Greg wants to continue to shop at Farm and Fleet, that's his business. I am glad he continues to OC there when he does shop.

Even though they have an anti-gun policy, you could make the argument that he's changing minds there on a daily basis every time he shops and that could go a long way to, someday, changing corporate policy when corporate finds out that people have carried there thousands of times and there was no problem.

But even if he chose not to OC and continue to shop Farm and Fleet, maybe going to another store would be a much longer drive and cost him tons more in gas$ and time. He has to make the choices that are best for him.

I haven't shopped at Farm and Fleet since they confirmed their no guns policy but ONLY because there are plenty of other stores just as close with the same product offering.

That said, if there was someone who chose not to shop at Fleet Farm and drive 20 extra miles and pay more to buy from a pro-rights store, I have the utmost respect for that as well.

Everyone has to make decisions that are best for them based on their personal situation.

As for helping someone else out. My choice to help someone out would be based on an understanding of everything they are to me as a friend and person. I don't like GM anymore for taking bailouts, but I won't kick a friend to the curb who decided to buy one.

duckdog

Over at concealedcarry.com, someone wrote them concernig CC and this was there reply:

Contacted Mills Fleet Farm Customer Service about policies in their Iowa stores for concealled Carry. Got response next day..as follows

Dear Mr. Heins:

I am in receipt of your recent e-mail dated June 24, 2011. Our customers are very important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to write to us.

Please see the attached sign that will be posted in our Iowa, Minnesota and North Dakota stores in the near future.

Thank you again for writing. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us.

MILLS FLEET FARM

Brad
Regional Manager

(See attached file: Store Policy for Concealed Carry.pdf)

Sign reads below:

Attention
All firearms that are brought in for repair
or service must be opened & checked in
at the Customer Service Desk.
This does not apply to conceal/carry
permit holders.
Thank You,
Mills Fleet Farm

I'm thinking they'll be similar in WI.

From what I understand, one of the Mills' grandsons is a gun lover, and is the one in the pony tail on the AR video in the store. From what I understand, he's partially the reason they sell handguns now.

deadlifter

I wish that response would have mentioned Open Carry. Im expecting a response to my email I sent on Friday in the next day or so. Hopefully that will clear things up. It would be a sad day if I cant shop there anymore.

BROKENSPROKET

I wish that response would have mentioned Open Carry. Im expecting a response to my email I sent on Friday in the next day or so. Hopefully that will clear things up. It would be a sad day if I cant shop there anymore.

The perfect model is the signs they have at Gander Mountian.

Scheels does not even have signs or atleast I have never seen them. I think guns do not get checked until you are in the gun deptartment.

WisconsinPI

Why would you have a retail sales clerk install a scope on your firearm and not a gunsmith?

He was a scope mounting college graduate, and because it's free there, I had them place it on and I did my own adjustments.

Last edited:

hermannr

If you will notice, he does mention Open Carry in "Conceal/Carry".

That slash says they are not going to distinguish between conceal or open carry, both are allowed, as long as weapons turned in for service are cleared.

What the are asking is you not clear you weapon in the store...Not an unusual or onerous request.

MKEgal

BROKENSPROKET said:
I still OC at Blains Farm & Fleet. I know about corp. policy... I have OC'd there many times before they posted some stores and corporate confirmed they had a no-gun policy, and I have OC many times after....
Aside from the ethical issues, which are yours to deal with for yourself,
legally if they're posted, &/or you know they prohibit carry, you're trespassing.
IDK if they'd have to complain, or if an officer could just see you & arrest you.

I haven't looked up the current statutes, but I know that in the new cc law that's a pretty serious misdemeanor - possibilty of a hefty fine, months in jail.

And since it's an actual crime (unlike "unlawful transport"), the police couldn't give your gun back - it'd be destroyed.

samsam

I went in there-cash in hand to buy a new compact for ccw a few weeks ago. BAD EXPERIENCE. First the guy wanted to see my ID to see if I was old enough- I'm 35. Then I asked to see a few- with a little small chat I asked if they were going to get more models in. He said sales had been horrible and they may if sales picked up. Then of course he asked me what I wanted the new compact for. I said I was excited to see the new law passed allowing CCW and keeping OC. He promptly said "I'M NOT!! I used to be a police officer and I know what its like to walk up to cars and people with firearms." Needless to say I walked out and took my business elsewhere. With a salesman like that it is no wonder their hand gun sales are poor.

BROKENSPROKET

Aside from the ethical issues, which are yours to deal with for yourself,
legally if they're posted, &/or you know they prohibit carry, you're trespassing.
IDK if they'd have to complain, or if an officer could just see you & arrest you.

I haven't looked up the current statutes, but I know that in the new cc law that's a pretty serious misdemeanor - possibilty of a hefty fine, months in jail.

And since it's an actual crime (unlike "unlawful transport"), the police couldn't give your gun back - it'd be destroyed.

First, they do not have signs posted. Second, not one single employee has told me of the policy either verbally or in writing, so NO, I AM NOT TRESPASSING.

I have been told many times that if the ask you to leave, you have to or else you can be arrested for trespassing and I believed it. But you also said on FB that it's a criminal offense which carries a sentence of 9 months in jail and $10,000 fine. Since you got that specific, I assumed you knew what you are talking about, but I have been going over Chapter 943 for several hours now and I cannot find what you are talking aobut.

Could you please cite the statute that you get this information from?

paul@paul-fisher.com

Could you please cite the statute that you get this information from?

Is this what you are looking for?

943.13 (2) (am) (intro.) A person has received notice from the owner or
occupant within the meaning of sub.(1m) (b), (e) or (f) if he or she has
been notified personally, either orally or in writing, or if the land is
posted.

Land is considered to be posted under this paragraph under either of the
following procedures:

1. If a sign at least 11 inches square is placed in at least 2
conspicuous places for every 40 acres to be protected. [ ... ]

Proof that appropriate signs as provided in this paragraph subdivision
were erected or in existence upon the premises to be protected prior to
the event complained of shall be prima facie proof that the premises to
be protected were posted as provided in this paragraph subdivision.

I would hypothetically erect signs, photograph them and/or have a third party witness them, copy the photos and/or witness statements to law enFORCEment, save my originals - AND REMOVE THE SIGNS now protected by §943.13(2)(am)

I don't see the criminal offense, however, as well. My reading is that it is a Class B forfeiture, which is a $1000 fine, no jail time.

Last edited:

deadlifter

Just received this response from Fleet Farm:

Dear Mr. X:

Thank you very much for being our customer and for taking the time to visit our Mills Fleet Farm website. Let me assure you that we at Mills Fleet Farm are concerned about customer satisfaction.

I have had a chance to review your concern with the Green Bay West store and there appears to be some miscommunication between the Assistant Store Manager and yourself. As a company, we do support the rights of a customer to lawfully carry a handgun. In regards to the state law regarding concealed carry which goes into effect in November, Mills Fleet Farm will also support the customer's right to lawfully conceal carry in our stores as well.

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our stores and hope to be able to serve you again in the future.

MILLS FLEET FARM

Derrick
Manager of Loss Prevention and Front End Operations

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

Just received this response from Fleet Farm:

Dear Mr. X:

Thank you very much for being our customer and for taking the time to visit our Mills Fleet Farm website. Let me assure you that we at Mills Fleet Farm are concerned about customer satisfaction.

I have had a chance to review your concern with the Green Bay West store and there appears to be some miscommunication between the Assistant Store Manager and yourself. As a company, we do support the rights of a customer to lawfully carry a handgun. In regards to the state law regarding concealed carry which goes into effect in November, Mills Fleet Farm will also support the customer's right to lawfully conceal carry in our stores as well.

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our stores and hope to be able to serve you again in the future.

MILLS FLEET FARM

Derrick
Manager of Loss Prevention and Front End Operations

Good News.