• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in CT DMV buildings?

Freiheit417

Hello all,

I'm having trouble finding whether it is legal or not to carry in a Connecticut DMV building.

I can't find anything in the statutes other than CGS § 29-28(e) that states “[T]he issuance of a permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby authorize the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises control over such premises."

Since the "incident" at the Enfield DMV on May 16, 2007, I'm wondering if they have since posted signs prohibiting weapons?

"Reported to the A/L, (Above/Location), for a party with a possible gun. C, (complainant), state the party later identified as XXX, was at the counter and that he was told by a passerby that XXX may have a concealed weapon. The A/L was not posted that he could not have a weapon (gun). I spoke to XXX who stated that he did have a concealed weapon Gun Permit for XXX was valid and the gun a Ruger P345 pisto XXXX were legal. Was negative NCIC, XXXX stated that the party may have seen his holster when he XXXXX answered his cell phone (same side his gun was on). CSP Trooper Bonola also confirmed that it was not illegal at DMV."
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?38620

Specifically, I'm wondering if the New Britain and Enfield locations are currently posted? If not, then would it still be legal?

Thanks so much.

AGust82

I don't have any link for you you but I do know that New Britain is not posted. And I don't consider the DMV a "sensitive location", just a regular old dump.
Wont matter soon. NB is closing down Aug 11.

KIX

And..... here's the funny thing.....

Don't forget to open carry, New Britain has an ordinance banning concealed carry.

Jonathan

Edward Peruta

Plain and simple

If there is no law and/or no signs prohibiting firearms then it's ok to carry openly or concealed.

If asked to leave by a property owner do so without argument and respect their right to do so.

Carry responsibly,

Ed Peruta

beanoboy7

It's what I've always been told. Unless you have permission from someone in the building farearms on state property isn't a good idea. Just like carrying on school property.

I wish prohibited carry places was simplified, such as having a sign posted which few places have posted.

Rich B

It's what I've always been told.

From who?

Unless you have permission from someone in the building farearms on state property isn't a good idea. Just like carrying on school property.

There is a statute against carrying in a school, no such thing exists for 'state buildings'. Also, schools are not usually state owned buildings.

I wish prohibited carry places was simplified, such as having a sign posted which few places have posted.

What prohibited place isn't posted?

The list is simple. Anything not prohibited by statutes is legal.

S.Officer

If there is no law and/or no signs prohibiting firearms then it's ok to carry openly or concealed.

If asked to leave by a property owner do so without argument and respect their right to do so.

Carry responsibly,

Ed Peruta

Well Said...

I think everyone should use their discretion.
For me personally,I would not OC simply because I can.
If someone seems alarmed by my Pistol even though
there isn't any law or sign prohibiting...then I would
conceal simply for the sake of Peace.

If it's an LEO that doesn't know the laws...then I would
conceal, and then ask the name of his supervisor and
continue from there.

S.Officer

So what other purpose is there to OC?

"Because I can" sounds like a pretty plausible reason to do something lawful.

Yes it is a plausible reason...not saying I'll never OC...
but I can only speak for me right now.

I just use my discretion and "choose my battles"(where I want to OC).
If I feel OC is absolutely necessary then I'd OC.

I'm a female...and sometimes OC don't go well with some of our dress codes.
Neither do Conceal. It's up to the Holder I guess!!!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yes it is a plausible reason...not saying I'll never OC...
but I can only speak for me right now.

I just use my discretion and "choose my battles"(where I want to OC).
If I feel OC is absolutely necessary then I'd OC.

I'm a female...and sometimes OC don't go well with some of our dress codes.
Neither do Conceal. It's up to the Holder I guess!!!

Why is it "choosing your battles."? Open carry is 100% legal. It makes no sense to conceal just to make someone feel better regardless of who they are. What "peace" are you keeping by covering your gun?Weren't you the one making a huge deal about open carrying on the train? Now you make it sound like OC is not important to you.

S.Officer

Why is it "choosing your battles."?
My preference!! What's yours?

Open carry is 100% legal.
You couldn't be more right!!

When at work OC is Mandatory for me.
I have no say in how I would like to carry.
Off Duty I have choices and those are the choices,
I personally make.

To carry or not to carry in a DMV building?
Mr. Peruta said it best.

Last edited:

Freiheit417

Thanks to all for the responses, especially for confirming that the DMV's are still not posted "criminal safety zones."

If I should find otherwise, I will be sure to let everyone know.

Rich B

My preference!! What's yours?

You couldn't be more right!!

When at work OC is Mandatory for me.
I have no say in how I would like to carry.
Off Duty I have choices and those are the choices,
I personally make.

To carry or not to carry in a DMV building?
Mr. Peruta said it best.

You spend too much time clouding the issue. I cannot tell if you are doing it intentionally or not.

The last poster questioned you on your choice of wording which I agree is odd. Why is concealing 'keeping the peace' and 'choosing your battles'?

What about OC creates a lack of peace and how is it a battle? It is nothing more than a carry choice. For me, it is a choice of whether I wear a cover shirt or not.

To be clear, I don't think anyone here is encouraging you to carry, much less carrying openly or concealed. However, you are going out of your way to make odd wording choices with regards to something that you apparently have no interest in doing.

Last edited:

Freiheit417

Do I see another TRAIN thread starting????
I sure do miss that thread!!!! LOL!!

I surely hope it doesn't go in that direction....:rolleyes:

The goal in starting this thread was to establish:

1) That DMV's in CT are still not posted "No Weapons/Firearms"

and

2) That no new laws have been enacted prohibiting carry in said places

Given the latest DMV "reforms" that were passed this year, I wanted to make sure that weapons prohibitions did not get quietly inserted.

These questions have been answered - many thanks again.