• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safety Glasses

scouser

I was wondering if anyone has a preference for a colored tint to use when at an indoor range, and if so which color and why do you prefer it over any other tinted or clear lens.

Myself, I use a yellow tint simply because I had a pair of Oakleys made with that tint for nightime driving and was told that they meet the ANSI regs for safety eyewear, but I'm thinking of perhaps getting another pair or two of lenses for them and would like some suggestions. Pair #1 will be clear, just undecided on #2.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A lot of it depends on your own eyesight and the peculiarities thereof. Yellow/amber may work for an indoor range where the lighting does not have a stiff lean into the blue end of the spectrum - but most flourescents do just that. Given the same UVA/UVB rating of yellow/amber and grey lenses, you might find that the grey work better for you. Then again, some folks say the "brown" tints are the bees knees.

Presuming you do not need corrective lenses, I'd see about borrowing different tints before you invest in one of each. If you do need corrective lenses with tints, PM me for the info on an eye doc who is also a bullseye shooter and quite comfortable with your bringing your hardware into the office to make sure the RX is written for and the lenses are fitted for your specific eye/arm/hand/barrel length. He is the one who helped me understand the differences in how eyersight responds to tint under the same lighting situation.

stay safe.

scouser

Thanks Skidmark .. I was particularly thinking of the low light conditions at Dominion, and being indoor I wasn't thinking of any sun protection, already have a dark tinted pair that are almost mirrors, great for sitting next to the wife while 'sight seeing' on the beach.

I do need corrective lenses, however the only thing that works for my eyes are the RGP (or hard) contact lenses as I have a cornea condition (Kerataconus)that glasses won't correct, something I only discovered was the reason I hadn't seen clearly for many years when I enquired about having lasik surgery and was informed my choices were basically hard contacts or a cornea transplant.

carry for myself

i can honestly say. i've never shot at an indoor range. nor worn safety glasses while shooting

on the same note i CAN say that taking a .45 cartridge into the eye does not sting as much as most would think lol kinda just blink and keep squeezing em off

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Scouser,

I'm sending you a PM with the eye doc's contact info. An awful lot depends on how your eyes respond to the light spectrum present. FYI, I am extremely sensitive to the blue end but as soon as I get towards the greens my vision improves so much it is astounding. As it goes further towards the red it has some to-be-expected drop-off. Proper lenses with proper filtering gives me great vision.

As I mentioned, the eye doc knows Dominion and can probably fit you up without fuss.

stay safe.

scouser

carry for myself said:
i can honestly say. i've never shot at an indoor range. nor worn safety glasses while shooting

on the same note i CAN say that taking a .45 cartridge into the eye does not sting as much as most would think lol kinda just blink and keep squeezing em off

Well Dominion's range is indoors and their rules include the wearing of eye and ear protection. A lot of the people in the Richmond area on this board are familiar with the place so I figured that asking in the VA section would get answers from those who know how hit and miss the lighting situation is there

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have found yellow tints to be helpful in indoor ranges as Skid said. I also use them outside as they do a pretty good job of keeping the sun out of my eyes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I'm going to dissent..
A lot depends on WHY your at the range. If it's just to paper punch, whatever works best but if you're trying to sharpen your defensive shooting, you need to learn to find your sights with what you'll likely be wearing...like no glasses. That doesn't mean shoot with no glasses, just no tint.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I'm going to dissent..
A lot depends on WHY your at the range. If it's just to paper punch, whatever works best but if you're trying to sharpen your defensive shooting, you need to learn to find your sights with what you'll likely be wearing...like no glasses. That doesn't mean shoot with no glasses, just no tint.

The instructor in me cringes at the thought of someone target shooting without eye protection. :(

I watched a young lady at Dominion a few months ago - shell casing ejected from her gun, hit the wall, then hit her safety glasses and then hit her chin. Sliced her chin open and she bled for 20 minutes. If that had been a direct hit to the eye without safety glasses.....ouch.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The instructor in me cringes at the thought of someone target shooting without eye protection. :(

I watched a young lady at Dominion a few months ago - shell casing ejected from her gun, hit the wall, then hit her safety glasses and then hit her chin. Sliced her chin open and she bled for 20 minutes. If that had been a direct hit to the eye without safety glasses.....ouch.

Read what I said Jim.
That doesn't mean shoot with no glasses, just no tint.

.45acp

I have a set of glasses that were made for me with 4 interchangeable lenses.

Yellow - Indoor and Low/Flat Light days

Light Bronze - Outdoor Hazy Day, Early Morning, Late Afternoon

Dark Bronze - Outdoor Bright Day

Purple/Dark Rose - Outdoor for Hi Contrast

At least that is the way the colored lenses work for me. I used to shoot with the old stand by Ray Ban's, and still have three pairs, but went to Hi Impact Non Glass (Polycarbonate ) lens for better eye protection.

Steve