• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer fires shot at fleeing vehicle

Motofixxer

Well it sounds like one in the car pointed a gun at the officer first...then started driving away or something like that. I think it sounds like it's a legitimate situation to defend oneself or others. Without knowing what the scene and timing was like could the officer have gotten off more shots, maybe. Should he have...maybe. But we were there, we don't know the line of fire, the background etc. But bottom line is we don't have all the information.

protias

Well it sounds like one in the car pointed a gun at the officer first...then started driving away or something like that. I think it sounds like it's a legitimate situation to defend oneself or others. Without knowing what the scene and timing was like could the officer have gotten off more shots, maybe. Should he have...maybe. But we were there, we don't know the line of fire, the background etc. But bottom line is we don't have all the information.

All true points. We don't know at what distance the officer was at from the car or if a call for backup was made afterwards, or anything like that.

phleye

I used to work 2nd shift a few blocks from there at St. Joe's Hospital. It was never a fun ride home and I went through that intersection every night.

qball54208

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/125684883.html

Could you imagine if one of us heard shots coming from a vehicle and then we fired at it? Could you imagine how much the news would demonize us for doing so?
Yeah you'd be right, we'd be demonixed!
However, if any LEO here in the State deals with a "fleeing felon" they are allowed to fire upon them up to and including running away on foot. It would be justified if the "suspect" had a gun, using it or not, it would be a felony to point it at a LEO.

WisconsinPI

Yeah you'd be right, we'd be demonixed!
However, if any LEO here in the State deals with a "fleeing felon" they are allowed to fire upon them up to and including running away on foot. It would be justified if the "suspect" had a gun, using it or not, it would be a felony to point it at a LEO.

I dont think he was pointing it at the officer, he was kinda waiving it like "hello sir" in a friendly, non-threatening manner.

Last edited: