• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ran across an Anti. Yesterday...

aadvark

To ALL Whom are Interested:

I was Shopping and a Anti-Firearm Guy, The Likes of Whom I have NEVER seen before, said that ANYBODY Who Open Carries is Mentally Ill and has some Form of either: 1. Autism, or 2. Mental Retardation.

Basically..., He Suggests that anyone Whom Open Carries should be Federally Prohibited from Owning Arms.

Additionally, He said anybody Who Concealed Carries, off of The Authority of 'Permit', as He called it, should be Arrested for a Felony Charge.

Furthermore, He siad Concealed Carry is Illegal, and He does NOT Care what The Law says about it either, regardless of whehter or not such Person is a Georgia Weapons Carry Licensee.

This really makes Me Angry!

I have NEVER in My Life seen This Guy, and Hopefully, I probably will NEVER again have to either.

aadvark

P.S.: How do You Deal with Difficult People?

*** No Arrests were made because NO Laws were Broken, and I will NOT Disclose any further Details, aside from: 1. He called E-911 again, even after The Police Left, to Re-report My Open Carry, even after The Law Enforcement Advised Him that I was NOT Breaking any Laws, and 2. Furthermore, I was on Private Property with that Owners Special Permission to be there, which I had in Writing, and The Owner Specifically gave Me Permission to Open Carry while there. ***

ADulay

Obviously the person was a "brainwashed" moron who probably truly believes that all guns are evil as well as anyone who even owns a gun is evil.

You just happened to cross his path that day.

There is no way you will persuade him to change his mind so just blow it off as another citizen who believes what they want to believe, no matter how legal you actually were!

They're out there and wandering around in a daze 24/7, completely oblivious to the real world.

I haven't run into one that was as bad as you metioned, but I've had one or two mention that they would "call the police" if anything happened (whatever that means).

Evidently I had a look that said I was about to go ballistic after finishing my cheeseburger. Who knows!!

AD

JoeSparky

Centurion
Old saying certainly applies here:

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!"

If he is this absolutely deadset against that he will make a second call to 911 after the officers left the first time without making an arrest, YOU AREN"T GOING TO CONVINCE HIM!

Just go about your business. IF your state allows a on party consent--- be sure and record any interactions so that you can have evidence in your favor to avoid dealing with a "he said, and other he said" situation. You may also be able to file harassment charges against him for repeated confrontations.

Good luck!

Editted to add:
I didn't realize who initiated this thread.... seems like I'm REALLY preaching to the choir! LOL

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
I have dealt with people of similar nature but never gone that far as to make a scene. Most I have received is your a criminal for open carrying or you should think about the people's lives you can take with that weapon of yours. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but when someone goes to great lengths to make it a huge deal, well that person needs to re-think his decisions a bit better. I don't hate people who look down upon people who claim their opinion on OC but given we have the right and were also being safe about it too, I dont see the big deal. I open carry every day to pretty much almost every where I go, and I never seem to have much issues, other than the occasionional confrontation of a LEO whos wondering why I'm OCing.

Bobarino

For someone like that, I have a good belly laugh and then walk away. No sense in taking it personally and letting it upset you. If he chooses to remain ignorant of the laws willing to stick his bent out of shape nose into an armed man's business, he clearly ain't right in the head, as he is accusing others of. Brush him off and be on your way, but keep an eye on him lest he do something even more irrational.

OC4me

Oh please say you recorded the encounter and post it for our enjoyment - having that fellow's drivel and ignorance displayed for all to listen to in cyberspace is about the best medicine he can take. Be sure to get his full name off of the police report (or FOIA the 911 call - post that as well) so that he'll eventually find it the next time he Googles his awesome himself.

MKEgal

sO he dIdnN'T lisTEn whEn The pOlIcE toLd hiM thaT yOu wEren'T doIng aNytHing wrOng,
anD calLed 911 AgaIn? Why waSn'T hE arResTed (oR at lEasT givEn a Ticket foR abUse oF the 911 SYsteM & waSting pOlicE reSourCes?

(Yeah, it's hard to read with all the nonstandard capitalization. Something to think about changing.)

Definitely FOIA/ORR both calls & the police report about contacting you, and ask for the report showing their second contact with him, where he got (should have gotten) a ticket or arrested for causing a disturbance, disturbing the peace, harassment, slander, abuse of 911, disorderly conduct...
If he wasn't, ask why not.

Contrarian

Strange encounter

I was Shopping and a Anti-Firearm Guy, The Likes of Whom I have NEVER seen before, said that ANYBODY Who Open Carries is Mentally Ill and has some Form of either: 1. Autism, or 2. Mental Retardation.

Basically..., He Suggests that anyone Whom Open Carries should be Federally Prohibited from Owning Arms.

Additionally, He said anybody Who Concealed Carries, off of The Authority of 'Permit', as He called it, should be Arrested for a Felony Charge.

Furthermore, He siad Concealed Carry is Illegal, and He does NOT Care what The Law says about it either, regardless of whehter or not such Person is a Georgia Weapons Carry Licensee.

I have NEVER in My Life seen This Guy, and Hopefully, I probably will NEVER again have to either.

aadvark

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Along with Citizen, I thought you meant in a vehicular manner...just sayin'.

"...(he) said that ANYBODY Who Open Carries is Mentally Ill and has some Form of either: 1. Autism, or 2. Mental Retardation."
Then ask him if all you said is true - mentally ill and ARMED, why are you in my face?

You did well.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran

aadvark

*** No Arrests were made because NO Laws were Broken, and I will NOT Disclose any further Details, aside from: 1. He called E-911 again, even after The Police Left, to Re-report My Open Carry, even after The Law Enforcement Advised Him that I was NOT Breaking any Laws, and 2. Furthermore, I was on Private Property with that Owners Special Permission to be there, which I had in Writing, and The Owner Specifically gave Me Permission to Open Carry while there. ***

"To ALL who are interested:

I was shopping and an anti-firearm guy, the likes of whom I have NEVER seen before, said that ANYBODY who open carries is mentally ill and has some form of either: 1. Autism, or 2. Mental Retardation.

Basically..., he suggested that anyone who open carries should be federally prohibited from owning arms.

Additionally, he said anybody who carries concealed, off of the authority of 'permit', as he called it, should be arrested for a felony charge.

Furthermore, he said concealed carry is illegal, and he does NOT care what the law says about it either, regardless of whether or not such person is a Georgia Weapons Carry Licensee.

This really makes me angry!

I have NEVER in my life seen this guy before, and hopefully I will NEVER have to again.

aadvark

P.S.: How do you deal with difficult people?

*** No arrests were made because NO laws were broken, and I will NOT disclose any further details, aside from: 1. He called E-911 again, even after the police left, to re-report my open carry, even though the law enforcement officers advised him that I was NOT breaking any laws, and 2. I was on private property with that owner's special permission to be there, which I had in writing, and the owner specifically gave me permission to open carry while there. ***"

I think this is what you were trying to say. It's not perfect as there are some syntax and punctuation errors remaining, but I didn't want to completely overhaul your style. Feel free to copy and paste.

aadvark

EVERYONE:

Lets NOT be Hateful of The Way that I Write, Please.

I became Frustatrated with The Police because The Police would NOT Arrest for Criminal Deflamation, which; The Police probably do NOT even Know such a Criminal Charge even Exists.

aadvark

*** By The Way..., This Incident Occured at Home Depot, and the Store Manager Himself came out and Bascially said that This Man is an Idiot. ***

Last edited:

wrightme

EVERYONE:

Lets NOT be Hateful of The Way that I Write, Please.

I became Frustatrated with The Police because The Police would NOT Arrest for Criminal Deflamation, which; The Police probably do NOT even Know such a Criminal Charge even Exists.

aadvark

*** By The Way..., This Incident Occured at Home Depot, and the Store Manager Himself came out and Bascially said that This Man is an Idiot. ***

It isn't about "hateful." It is about "the random capitalization makes your post difficult to read." Best to stick with the rules for caps. i.e., first word of a sentence, and proper names. Leave the rest to the little letters who deserve them.

If you are using some method of communicating that either does all-caps which get altered in the forum software to only some caps, or which for some reason, randomly capitalizes words, change your method.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
It isn't about "hateful." It is about "the random capitalization makes your post difficult to read." Best to stick with the rules for caps. i.e., first word of a sentence, and proper names. Leave the rest to the little letters who deserve them.

If you are using some method of communicating that either does all-caps which get altered in the forum software to only some caps, or which for some reason, randomly capitalizes words, change your method.

BTW, I could easily read Aarvards comments and understand that he is attempting to emphasis some to further communicate his feelings!

asullivangarner

A few things...

1) Good on you for keeping your cool.

2) We all hope you handle your weapon better than some people think you type/communicate.

3) You should have just sucked him up, eaten him and deposited the remnants else where. That's what ant eaters do, right... :D

There are a number of things to say to these folks:

http://tinyurl.com/6kmen5v

Stay Safe,

asg

aadvark

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I believe I'd have asked him if his keepers knew he was loose again!
Or asked how long he's been off his meds.
Perhaps might have asked if his village is looking for him.

Likely as not, I'd have laughed in his face and just told him to go away and get some therapy.

This guy ain't just an ordinary anti, he's an antic.

I might have suggested that I respect his opinion, regardless how totally psychotic the brain that spawned it.
Or like something else everybody has, he has an opinion. In this case, one badly in need of an enema.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
There's no reason to go up against these sorts. Just smile and laugh, then walk away shaking your head.

You'll gain more converts to the cause by letting him draw a scene, and then showing you're the one with your act together.

I can't count the number of times I've been told, after such an encounter:

Random Observer: "You handled that well."
Me: "Thanks, I think we can all see who the real nutjob is."

Smiling and laughing makes you approachable, and all the offensive BS they said just bounces off. They defeat their own argument by telling the jovial fellow, who is laughing for all to see instead of getting pissed-off, that he is dangerous, violent, and stupid. It just doesn't work out for their argument.

It happens to me a lot when I OC out of state. I am not one of those guys that gets to say 'nobody noticed.' I stand out, and so does my bigass gun. We get seen.

While a lot of people on this forum have a lot of experience OCing, I quite possibly have the most experience in dealing with random members of the public on the topic. Several times a day, soemthing positive. Or soemthing like you described, from which I have made an art of turning those lemons into lemonade.

Don't let it fluster you. It's like standing the face of an angry, bitchy woman. You are the rock in the storm. Let it pass. They either get it out of their system and decide to have a civilized conversation, or they proceed to make a huge ass of themselves. Either way; smile, relax and let them do it. Don't let them wind you up. You already know their lines are a load of BS. Let them spout.

The really persistent ones, I've found, are best handled by pointing and laughing. Mutter soemthing like "There's one born every minute" under your breath.

Remember, it's not about you. Even if it were, do you get all angry and bent out of shape if a cockroach gives you the finger? No, of course not. It's a cockroack. Who gives weight or consideration to the thoughts and opinons of a cockroach? Consider the source.

I was once fortunate enough to be standing in the powdered beverages section of the supermarket when approached by such a person. I filled her cart up with Kool Aid. She didn't get the joke...

Last edited: