• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter - bad, really bad (borrowed from OFCC)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Wow, I really don't know what to say regarding the video. Complete lack of professionalism on the part of the officer. The driver was completely respectful. I will be making as big a contribution as I can. Hopefully, that video will be enough to have the charges dropped. The officer should fired for threatening to kill the driver. That to me is completely unacceptable. I would recommend getting that video to as many people as you can to drum up public support for the driver.

rpyne

Let's get the word out about this atrocity. Please post on any forums that you are a member of that shares our goals.

I tried to donate to the legal defense fund, but the dimwits at OhioCCW require registration on their web store in order to donate. If and when they get their heads out in the sunshine I may try again.

rushcreek2

Oh - THIS is what is known as the "community caretaking function" of law enforcement........

How dare these irresponsible citizens be observed in a "high crime area", after dark . They should have been at home watching "COPS" . Don't they know that they are presumed to be GUILTY of some crime until they can convince the officers that they are NOT ?

My grandaughter's life was placed at risk about 2 years ago by two Ohio Troopers who ran her through the "search & destroy" ringer for daring to be on a highway during the wee hours on her way to NY. During a trumped up traffic stop (based upon her "crossing the solid white line" while taking the off-ramp) at night near Wooster, OH. The coerced "allowed" search of her vehicle resulted in rear speakers being damaged, and emissions control parts under the hood being left ajar - which resulted in the vehicle stalling out on the highway a few minutes down the road that required a wrecker, and a mechanics services the next day.

I filed a complaint with the Wooster District HP office. Never even got a response.

Not to "pile on" Ohio here - but a serious abuse of power problem exists in every state. This EX-COP evidenced clear symptoms of "I.E.D" - intermittent explosive disorder - a disqualifying criteria for issuance of a CHL in most states.

jahwarrior

here's an email i shot off to the Chief of Canton PD this morning:

I'm sure you are now well aware of the video currently circulating the internet of one of your patrolmen. The one where he threatens to execute a lawfully armed citizen, in possession of a permit/license to carry a concealed weapon? I was made aware of the video by a friend who is a resident of Canton. Sadly, they say that this behavior is not uncommon among LEO in that area, especially when dealing with lawfully armed citizens.

I don't have much to say about what transpired in the video, except to say that, of course, I'm disgusted by the actions of a man who took an oath to serve the public trust. He insulted, belittled, humiliated, and threatened the life of a man who'd done him no harm, and who committed no crime. As someone who has friends who serve our communities, and our country, I find him to be an embarrassment to all who serve. He simply does not deserve to wear his uniform, or his badge. A man like him does worse than dishonor his oath, however; he endangers all those around him, from those who serve next to him, to the people he's sworn to protect. His utter disregard for the rights of the citizens of Canton not only affected one man, it affects all those who walk the streets of your city. How can the people of Canton expect to respect LEOs when they face the sort of attitude your officer displayed? How can LEO expect to do their job efficiently when the people cannot trust them to treat them with respect?

I believe the officer's behavior not only dishonors other LEO, it endangers them. When law enforcement officers lose the trust and respect of the people they serve, they can only be seen as the enemy. People will see this video, and may expect the same treatment. Even worse, there may come a day when this very officer pulls someone else over, treats them the way he treated the man in the video, and the person he pulls over may, out of fear, decide it would be better to defend themselves, rather than face a possible roadside execution from a "Glock 40" from a monster with a badge.

That's what your officer is: a monster. He's an out-of-control animal, who is a clear and present danger to the entire community. I beg you, please remove this man from power, before a citizen, or an officer, suffers the consequences of his actions.

lossely translated: ******** like this get police shot.

Pyro01

Hey guys, fellow OCDO member from WI, we caught wind of this and we're all appalled as well. In case you didn't know we finally got concealed carry passed, and it's things like this that we're worried about having to deal with when it comes to getting stopped by the police. A lot of police departments are raising a $**tstorm about concealed carry. I've been over on Canton OH's facebook page commenting on their video post of the incident, and they've been responding back, but they had to take the page down for some reason and they said it'd be back up "later". Anyways, I was in the middle of typing this comment and I wasn't able to post it before they took the page down, but I'll leave it here:

"I can understand a police department looking after their own, after all, they depend on each other for anything and everything because a situation can turn real ugly, real quickly. You have to be able to depend on your fellow officers no matter what. However, I think what ticks me off the most, is after the fact when an officer has committed a crime, and there's evidence of it on videotape and the department still "stands behind him". Granted the investigation is underway and the officer is "innocent until proven guilty". What does that say to everyone else who's been affected by this, you would stand behind an officer who's allegedly committed a crime and is innocent until proven guilty?
Why don't you just say that you're investigating the alleged crime, instead of backing the guy up immedietely. You're staking your reputation out there on a man who's done horrible things, all because of a brother/sisterhood-like bond? When you say things like this, it's like you're telling the public you support the officer whether or not he's done something wrong, and that you can expect the same thing to happen when the next guy does something wrong. You should adhere to the laws of this land, and when an officer is under fire for something he's done, he should be held accountable for his actions instead of condoning them. Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx9Mt4krDtc "

BrewTownBagger

I watched the video and was physically ill after watching it. I sure hope that the state of Wisconsin uses this as a training video for law enforcement and what not to do once our carry law takes effect in November. I can only imagine the fear and confusion this guy felt. :(

Freiheit417

From the previous OhioCCW link in this thread:

:exclaim: "UPDATE 7/22/2011: Canton Police announced Thursday that the officer was relieved of all duties in June following an internal investigation complaint filed in this matter. The local Canton Repository has done some additional investigatory work into the officers and an excellent analysis of the video / audio we posted."

Justice, sir, is the great interest of man on earth. It is the ligament which holds civilized beings and civilized nations together. Wherever her temple stands, and so long as it is duly honored, there is a foundation for general security, general happiness, and the improvement and progress of our race.

DANIEL WEBSTER, speech, Sep. 12, 1845

zack991

THE SOB NEEDS JAIL TIME FOR ASSAULT> yet we wont see it becase he is protected.

Last edited:

Freiheit417

ORC Ann. 2909.23 Making terroristic threat.

(A) No person shall threaten to commit or threaten to cause to be committed a specified offense when both of the following apply:

(1) The person makes the threat with purpose to do any of the following:

(a) Intimidate or coerce a civilian population;

(b) Influence the policy of any government by intimidation or coercion;

(c) Affect the conduct of any government by the threat or by the specified offense.

(2) As a result of the threat, the person causes a reasonable expectation or fear of the imminent commission of the specified offense.

(B) It is not a defense to a charge of a violation of this section that the defendant did not have the intent or capability to commit the threatened specified offense or that the threat was not made to a person who was a subject of the threatened specified offense.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of making a terroristic threat, a felony of the third degree. Section 2909.25 of the Revised Code applies regarding an offender who is convicted of or pleads guilty to a violation of this section.

------

Intimidation? Perhaps. Reasonable expectation of fear? Definitely.

IANAL...

I realize the language of this Ohio law may not actually fit this situation, but really, we know who rightfully should catch a felony charge here. I would argue that this officer's words were intended to intimidate anyone "stupid enough" to carry a gun, not just this individual, i.e. the civilian population.

Mas49.56

This scumbag committed a felony and shot up my blood pressure. With behavior like that, I wonder how many innocent people he has framed or killed in the past.

DrkDestroyer

I watched the video and was physically ill after watching it. I sure hope that the state of Wisconsin uses this as a training video for law enforcement and what not to do once our carry law takes effect in November. I can only imagine the fear and confusion this guy felt. :(

2a

Last edited: