• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Compact Caliber Preference?

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked more than a few times but I figure I go ahead and ask it anyway. I myself are looking at purchasing my first compact and I'm wondering what everyone's preference is on caliber and what would be the better of the pic. I have been getting this itch to buy a 9mm Compact considering that I carry a .40 G35. Basically want something a bit smaller but not wanting to go too small. What would you all think I should hit for as in a better purchase? Reason why I am asking is Im used to full size pistols and not compacts. This is just a legimate question and not needing any sarcasm on reply's. Thank you! :) :) :) :) :)

It's a very tough, arguable choice. I regularly switch between a Glock 19 (9mm), G33 (.357 SIG), 1911/ or G36 (.45 ACP), as well as a Kahr PM9 (9mm). I carry the G19 most of the time (w/ the G33 coming in 2nd) as it just really works for me taking into account the capacity, caliber (I will not go below 9mm - I respect all of those that own .380, but I just won't personally carry one as my primary pistol-this is just personal preference only), weight, simple manual of arms, & especially cost. 15 + 1 rounds with the G19 gives you some pretty good options for a "compact" 9mm. You can always carry a full size G17 mag (or 30 round G18 mag) if you feel you need to. If you already have a .40 S&W I would go with the Glock 23 (or equivalent from S&W, Springfield, etc...) as it can share the same ammo...

.45acp

I am a strong believer in using what is best for you and what you can consistently and reliably use to deliver effective rounds to your target. This covers both the instrument (gun) and the caliber/load assignment. A citizen who decides to carry a Glock 19 and trains with it enough to where he can rely upon it with his life is far better off than one who selects a .357 Magnum simply because he read somewhere that it has a record of 96% one shot stops, then after 20 rounds on a range, straps it on and goes about his life. A hit from two or three, or more, well placed shots from a G19 with high quality and powerful ammunition is heads and shoulders better than misses and poor hits from a .357 Magnum with target ammunition.

I have a neighbor who happens to be one of the best combat citizen shooters I have ever had the pleasure knowing, who's choice is a 9mm. I KNOW I would NOT want to be the recipient of his gun's attention were I a BG bent upon doing him or his evil deeds.

I don't get in the my gun is better than your gun or the caliber debates much. To tell the truth, I simply don't care. I carry what works for me. I don't get wrapped around the axle over 9mm vs 40 vs 45 vs 357, any of the above cals. will do the job if the shooter does his.

I feel the same about pistols, carry what works for you.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I don't get in the my gun is better than your gun or the caliber debates much. To tell the truth, I simply don't care. I carry what works for me. I don't get wrapped around the axle over 9mm vs 40 vs 45 vs 357, any of the above cals. will do the job if the shooter does his.

I feel the same about pistols, carry what works for you.

I completely agree with you, hence my post on this specific point. What works for Mr. Smith may not be the best idea for Mr. Jones. And for Mr. Smith to tell Mr. Jones he's stupid and doesn't know what he's doing is frankly, none of Mr. Smith's business. Granted there are some constants and one might even say near absolutes, as well as truisms, but the final decision rests with the person who is carrying the firearm.

rscottie

If money is a deciding factor

If you are on a budget, like me, then look at the Taurus Millenium Pro, 3rd Generation PT145, in .45 of course!

I have one and after the initial cleaning and break in of 350+ rounds, it is a great gun. It is easily concealed if need be too.

There are Taurus basher's out there, but I have more than one that is reliable. If you take the time to clean the gunky shipping grease out of all the places it manages to get into, then properly break it in, they are reliable.

Mine loves Winchester White Box 230 FMJ and Federal Champion 230 gr FMJ and my SD round is the Wal Mart Winchester White Box 230 gr HP. I know it is not one of the newer fancier rounds, but for less than $30 a box at Wal Mart, it is still a hollow point and one weighing 230 grains no less! And, it feeds very reliably. After doing the bulk of my break (250+ rounds) in with FMJ, I finished with 100 rounds of the HP and never had a hiccup.

And I forgot to mention this, 10+1 capacity!

Last edited:

Dreamer

My "compact" carry is a .45acp Glock 36.

I'd rather have 2 7-round mags of .45 than a box of 9mm or .380 auto any day...

Outdoorsman1

I woud also stay with the same Cal. of your daily carry firearm.

I Open Carry (Wisconsin) an XD-40 ... .40 Cal.

As WI just passed it's new Concealed Carry Bill (even though it will not take affect until Nov. 1...:banghead:) I got myself a Glock 27 Gen. 4 ... .40 Cal. The Glock only has a 9 round Mag., but I always carry with a round chambered so that would be 10 rounds fully loaded. It cam with 2 extra Mags so... 10 rounds fully loaded + 2 Mags. @ 9 rounds each = 28 rounds....

I think maybe the GLock 27 is classified a "Sub-Compact" which I think is even better for concealed carry... I really like that little handgun... seems tiny compared to my full size XD

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Wetworx

If you're wanting a 1911 platform, don't forget the Night Hawg from Para...It's a nice double-stack, compact 1911. I have one and it fits the bill nicely. :)

Baked on Grease

so with that said. .40 or up. ? depending on the mag capacity. 9mm has a history of making holes, but not stopping targets.

I have used 9mm Hornady Critical Defense since it came out, and I can say that it would stop a target. Expensive ammo, but perfect flaring every time, even through heavy clothing. I've put it through it's paces on many targets and unless you hit something thin (like an arm or lower leg) it makes a nice large exit hole or doesn't go through at all.

In the end though, the cheapest option for you is to get a caliber similar to the guns you already own, unless you plan on buying more than just the one gun with that new caliber.