• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I had an interesting talk with the local PD

jeeper1

I stopped by a garage sale to visit with a friend today. There was a Sequim pd officer there. I've seen him there before and in the past he has commented on my open carrying. Today the first words out of his mouth was "I was just thinking about you". As the conversation went on it seems there was an open carrier at one of the two lavender festivals going on in town. The pd made him leave. It seems there is a city ordinance (according to the officer) that prohibits open carry at the festivals.
He referred me to section 9 of the city ordinances. So I checked and did not find anything specific. I did find a few things that might be what he was referring to.
Title 9.24 Offenses against public peace
and 9.36 Weapons

B.9. Any person who creates or participates in any noise, disturbance or any other demonstration calculated or intended to frighten or intimidate or disturb any person.

9.36.10D. It is unlawful for any person to carry any firearm or other dangerous weapon upon any premises within the city limits of the city where alcoholic beverages are sold or consumed; provided that, law enforcement officers in uniform, or on police related business, shall be exempt from the provisions of this subsection.

I don't know if alcoholic beverages was/are being served there because I never had any intention of going to either one. One being on the high school property and the other in Cary Blake park. I don't like crowds.

What I want to know is are either of those city ordinances preempted by RCW 9.41.290? Particularly if you are not causing a disturbance (9.24.10).

therealcombat

9.36.10D is preempted by state law. RCW 9.41.300 specifies when and where firearms aren't allowed. RCW 9.41.290 states that cities can't make there own laws on the subject.

RCW 9.41.300 said:
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

Basically, there have to be signs up saying "no one under 21 allowed". Cities can't ban firearms at a festival unless the state liquor control board says the WHOLE festival is off limits to persons under 21.

Basically, you can OC, but you can't carry into the beer gardens.

fire suppressor

RCW 9.41.290
State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

Basically no city can impose a law/ policy/ ordinance stricter than what the state of Washington has. "The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state" Look at Seattle the new Major I think his name is Mr. Idiot tried banning all guns from all city park, that lasted about a month. because his laws were more strict than what the state has imposed it was quickly over turned and deemed illegal. The exception to this would be as mentioned above would be the beer gardens or bars, but this is also regulated by the state.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Basically, there have to be signs up saying "no one under 21 allowed". Cities can't ban firearms at a festival unless the state liquor control board says the WHOLE festival is off limits to persons under 21.

WOW where did you get this from? Looks like there is some mixing and trying to match RCW's, though it does not work that way.

RCW 70.108.020
Definitions.

For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

For Clarity

RCW 70.108.150
Firearms — Penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers, to carry, transport or convey, or to have in his possession or under his control any firearm while on the site of an outdoor music festival.

Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars and not more than two hundred dollars or by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than ten days and not more than ninety days or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Along with

RCW 9.41.290
State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 428; 1985 c 428 § 1; 1983 c 232 § 12.]

Notes:

Last edited:

amzbrady

1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinking_beer.gif
Here we go....

View attachment 6360

fire suppressor

RCW 70.108.150
Firearms — Penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers, to carry, transport or convey, or to have in his possession or under his control any firearm while on the site of an outdoor music festival.

Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars and not more than two hundred dollars or by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than ten days and not more than ninety days or by both such fine and imprisonment.

I have never seen this one before I had to click on the link to make sure it was real. The state actually has come out with a RCW banning carry at outdoor music festival!? Sounds a bit random to me, Thanks for the post I never would have guessed that

amlevin

I have never seen this one before I had to click on the link to make sure it was real. The state actually has come out with a RCW banning carry at outdoor music festival!? Sounds a bit random to me, Thanks for the post I never would have guessed that

Surprised? The Statute has been there since 1972. Right after WA State had it's own "Woodstock" at Satsop.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Raspberry festival

Lori and I went to the Raspberry festival in Lynden on Saturday with absolutely no issues. Walked all over town, saw the Car show, 3 on 3 basketball, and a bunch of antique shops. We were greeted with nothing but smiles.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

You must apply the definition of what is a music festival and likely in the one referenced, it would have to be considered a Outdoor Music Festival or a Music Festival thus the firearms restriction would not apply.

RCW 70.108.020
Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED,

That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

Last edited:

therealcombat

For Clarity

RCW 70.108.150
Firearms — Penalty.

Whoa! Never noticed that one before. Thanks for the correction.

hermannr

Even with that I think Sequim's ordinance is out of bounds. At least that part that was published in the OP. I have known about the "outdoor music festival" restriction for a long time, but I'm not sure the lavender festival qualifies???? Is it a "music festival"?

Did you notice that 9.36.10D even says that a LEO has to be on "police business?". Anyway, that ord. is definately out of bounds.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Even with that I think Sequim's ordinance is out of bounds. At least that part that was published in the OP. I have known about the "outdoor music festival" restriction for a long time, but I'm not sure the lavender festival qualifies???? Is it a "music festival"?

Did you notice that 9.36.10D even says that a LEO has to be on "police business?". Anyway, that ord. is definately out of bounds.

http://lavenderfestival.com/component/content/article/45-15thfestival

This is not an Outdoor Music Festival or Music Festival by definition in;

Outdoor Music Festival RCW 70.108 Definitions.

(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED,

That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

amlevin

I was born in 1986 I don't know much about Woodstock but I thought it was fairly peaceful

Woodstock was peaceful. So was "Satsop". Legislators were swayed by the various law enforcement agencies that "feared" they might not be as peaceful in the future. Memories of the "Altamont Free Concert" were still fairly fresh where a concert goer pulled a gun and was stabbed to death by a Hell's Angel. It was suggested that the Hell's Angels were hired to provide security. Needless to say, this concert was as violent as Woodstock was peaceful.

As usual, our legislators reacted once the "Outdoor Concert" scene arrived in Washington and passed this Statute. Not in response to incidents here but in a preemptive action.

Last edited: