Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: OCing in a vehicle

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Fort Carson

    OCing in a vehicle

    Question, I am a Michigan Resident but I am Active Duty in Colorado for the time being, I bought a Glock 22 while out here and I was wondering what do I have to do, to make it legal in MI? Also, are you not aloud to OC in your vehicle at all without a CPL?

  2. #2
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Start with the stickies.

    I'm not sure if there is an exemption for active military, if not this applies.

    If you are a legal Michigan resident, you must get a purchase permit and register your handgun here (MI). You can than legally possess the handgun for all lawful purposes. In Michigan if you do not have a CPL you must transport your handgun unloaded, in a case in the trunk. When you get to your destination you may then load your handgun and OC in all lawful places. You CAN NOT posses a handgun without a CPL in these places listed in 750.234d unless you are the owner or you have permission from the owner. Premises include parking lots.

    750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as
    misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of
    any of the following:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the
    Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
    (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the
    possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    (b) A peace officer.
    (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    (d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that
    possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more
    than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY"

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    You may NOT OC in a vehicle wihout a CPL. This may or may not include bicycles and the like, no case law as of yet. However, since you can be charged with a DUI on one, it is logical to be charged with CCW, even if OC.

  4. #4
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Venator was correct, here is the "rule", notice that you have 30 days upon arrival:

    MCL28.422 (pertinent section only)

    (2) A person who brings a pistol into this state who is on leave from active duty with the armed forces of the United States or who has been discharged from active duty with the armed forces of the United States shall obtain a license for the pistol within 30 days after his or her arrival in this state.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts