• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

App

insanebuddy720

Ive been tossing around the idea of making a mobile app for the android market about gun laws and how they affect OC/CC. Im not sure if i want to get roped into something like that or not. Let me know your guys' thoughts.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
An app like that woul be cool. However to make it effective it would take a lot of research to get every state's law correct. It would also be a lot of work to maintain as the laws are constantly changing. You would probably need some legal mumbo jumbo so someone couldn't sue you if there was a mistake. It would be a worthwhile app, but certainly a lot of work.

insanebuddy720

well see at first i was thinking for all states but yea i realized that it would be hard to keep up with it all considering im a 1 man programing team haha. Yea i do realize id have to have a disclaimer in it saying im not legally viable for any repercussions that may arise.

qqq1

I remember seeing a couple apps like that in the apple market a while ago but a quick check in the android market didn't show me any. Would love to see one. Maybe start with MI and add info just on what you must be aware of if entering a different state?

I said MI since we're in the MI forum but I see you are in Virginia. I'd like a MI specific app anyway please :)

Last edited:

insanebuddy720

thats what i think i might do. start with MI and see how that goes. i mean as i stated im a 1 man programing team. alot of good apps out there have a whole dev team behind them lol

eastmeyers

Start with these guys, they will be the most helpful and knowledgeable!
(in no specific order)
malignity
Michigander
venator
Bronson
DrTodd

Also make sure you put up the legal disclaimers, stuff like "I Am NOT A Lawyer!", and maybe "I do not recommend Open Carrying, unless you have researched the issue yourself, this app is a reference tool only, and is not legal advice.".

I am not saying to charge for it, but maybe a free version (a lite version), and a full paid version, something with GOOD separated categories, a good user interface. I would pay for something quality! For sure!

Good luck! Hope to see it soon!
God Bless!
Peace be with you and your piece!

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Tie into GPS and warn if in an arbitrary enforcement zone (overzealous LEOs) or property belonging to certain universities in MI....

Yeah, I know, but it never hurts to ask.....

insanebuddy720

Ill make it free. Why pay for something that should be free anyways (refering to Constitutional carry). I do program, but I have not made a mobile app yet so bare with me. I think ill start with a simple app just with the MCL codes and whatnot, see how that goes. As time progresses I might implement some sort of input kinda thing where u can upload places that are OC friendly. I do like the GPS idea, but like I said, 1 man programming team, it will take time. Anybody who helps with it I will gladly name you in the credits if you wish. Ill try to get started on it tonight and get a rough draft goin. If anyone wants to test the app who has an android device, I can send u the .apk file and you can let me know what changes to make and suggestions. Now im at work so i gotta go but thx for the support so far. Ill keep u guys posted.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Ill make it free. Why pay for something that should be free anyways (refering to Constitutional carry). I do program, but I have not made a mobile app yet so bare with me. I think ill start with a simple app just with the MCL codes and whatnot, see how that goes. As time progresses I might implement some sort of input kinda thing where u can upload places that are OC friendly. I do like the GPS idea, but like I said, 1 man programming team, it will take time. Anybody who helps with it I will gladly name you in the credits if you wish. Ill try to get started on it tonight and get a rough draft goin. If anyone wants to test the app who has an android device, I can send u the .apk file and you can let me know what changes to make and suggestions. Now im at work so i gotta go but thx for the support so far. Ill keep u guys posted.

I have an android phone and would be willing to help in any way possible; either PM me or send me an email...

FerretMI

insanebuddy720, I have the code that uses a graphics canvas instead of XML (more freedom) for Android phones already built and ready to use. I'm not the best programmer, but it works. As for iPhone, I don't have a mac nor a dev license, but I'd be happy to assist in any capacity with this project. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited:

insanebuddy720

Ok a little info. Developing apps for android uses Java best as a programming language, I havnt programmed in Java in quite some time. I will be rusty at it so that might delay the process a bit. Yea if i could get that code from u ferret that would be cool.

PDinDetroit

Good App Design takes time and I encourage you to invest in it up front, which saves TONS OF WORK later as people want this/that/kitchen sink later. If this is just a simple Knowledge/Reference App, you could use HTML5 instead of Native Coding (per platform activity). Some things to consider:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/html5-versus-native-apps/

http://eu.techcrunch.com/2011/07/12/guest-post-why-we-chose-html5-over-native-apps/

[video=youtube;4f2Zky_YyyQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f2Zky_YyyQ[/video]

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1221050