• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk State University

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I had to go to the Wilder center this evening and OC'ed outside, can't exactly remember what I did inside...What a p$\*ss hole that area is. I wished I'd brought my shotgun too.
Hookers all up and down the street going there, a group of gang bangers were filming a fight in the corner of the 7-11 parking lot....The whole area looked like a broken ant farm after I left the center about 11:00.

And I gave up a quiet day on my tractor for this!:cuss:

No problems with the campus cops though.

Norfolk is on the list of places I need to give to Maryland now

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
After finishing up last nights workflow...maybe it was worth staying off the tractor for a day.:uhoh:

enhanced1.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That /\ cannot be related to you. No how, no way! Ugly genes can't be held down that far!

You did say at breakfast it was on account of some relative that you were going to Norfolk, didn't you?

Sorry you had to deal with all that.

Oh, yeah. Also sorry you had to witness all that uncivil stuff on the streets outside, too.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That /\ cannot be related to you. No how, no way! Ugly genes can't be held down that far!

You did say at breakfast it was on account of some relative that you were going to Norfolk, didn't you?

Oh, yeah. Also sorry you had to witness all that uncivil stuff on the streets outside, too.

stay safe.

No, she isn't and I'm not putting any frame grabs of her up either! This is one of the girls that finished behind her:banghead:
AND...I didn't cut her head off like some Old Goat mentioned yesterday:p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Some of them were bruisers Skid...and I didn't cut her head off either:p

enh2.jpg

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
AND...I didn't cut her head off like some Old Goat mentioned yesterday:p

I accused you of cutting off hands, not heads. Hands, like where we could see how many fingers were being waved at you.

Geeze! Next thing you know I'm going to have to teach you and Grapeshot ASL - you to "hear" what's been said and him so we can "hear" what he's trying to say.

stay safe.

ETA - I suppose I really shoud say how much I feel your pain for having to go through that experience. But I don't, so won't lie to you.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I accused you of cutting off hands, not heads. Hands, like where we could see how many fingers were being waved at you.

I was shooting under combat conditions. I hit him where he was biggest...in the ego!:banghead:

ETA - I suppose I really shoud say how much I feel your pain for having to go through that experience. But I don't, so won't lie to you.

I'll tell you about pain. I hadn't seen my daughters bathing suit. If I could have found a blanket, I'd have jumped on the stage and wrapped her up in it!:cuss:
I had to do some editing on her video.
ta-enh-1.jpg

Last edited:

USNA69

Please Don't Condemn ALL of Norfolk ....

I had to go to the Wilder center this evening and OC'ed outside, can't exactly remember what I did inside...What a p$\*ss hole that area is. I wished I'd brought my shotgun too.
Hookers all up and down the street going there, a group of gang bangers were filming a fight in the corner of the 7-11 parking lot....The whole area looked like a broken ant farm after I left the center about 11:00.

And I gave up a quiet day on my tractor for this!:cuss:

No problems with the campus cops though.

Norfolk is on the list of places I need to give to Maryland now

.... based on your observation of some of its ... ahem ... less savory parts.

Like many cities, it has its affluent areas and its not-so-affluent areas, as well as its safe areas and its not-so-safe areas ... and most everything in between.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
.... based on your observation of some of its ... ahem ... less savory parts.

Like many cities, it has its affluent areas and its not-so-affluent areas, as well as its safe areas and its not-so-safe areas ... and most everything in between.

Sorry USN...didn't mean to offend you but I must have missed the better parts.
It's been 15 years or so since I've been there and it's changed, a lot!

My daughter and her husband drove separately so I gave her the 444 I keep in the console of that car, and told her not to stop for anything. They could make a gangsta video out of the neighborhoods I drove through last night. The guy filming the fight at 7-11 had a nice camera....wonder where he stole it?:uhoh:

I dislike cities anyway but I doubt I'll ever see Norfolk again.

USNA69

Everything You Said Below Is True ...

Sorry USN...didn't mean to offend you but I must have missed the better parts.
It's been 15 years or so since I've been there and it's changed, a lot!

My daughter and her husband drove separately so I gave her the 444 I keep in the console of that car, and told her not to stop for anything. They could make a gangsta video out of the neighborhoods I drove through last night. The guy filming the fight at 7-11 had a nice camera....wonder where he stole it?:uhoh:

I dislike cities anyway but I doubt I'll ever see Norfolk again.

I was not offended. I am the first to admit that there are sections where it is not so safe to be.
There have been a lot of changes in 15 years, and much of it for the better: MacArthur Mall, Granby Street, Harbor Park, ... most of downtown.
If you arrived from out of town destined for NSU, then you did miss the better parts.
It is not all like that, but you only have my word for it.

Last edited:

TFred

I loved the cruise terminal... of course I was only there for a fairly short time, to get on the ship, then get off the ship and go home. :)

When you're getting on a cruise ship, that even makes Baltimore tolerable for a couple hours at a time...

TFred

paramedic70002

Having driven a transport ambulance all over Norfolk and everywhere else for several years, I can tell you that you were close but quite into the bad part of Norfolk. I'd rather walk around NSU than drive through other parts of the city.

Oh and VB has the same environments, the city just dresses them up better so you don't realize it until it's too late.

When light rail starts running very soon, there will be a stop at NSU so the goblins can range more.

USNA69

I loved the cruise terminal... of course I was only there for a fairly short time, to get on the ship, then get off the ship and go home. :)

When you're getting on a cruise ship, that even makes Baltimore tolerable for a couple hours at a time...

TFred

Who could have guessed that, in addition to defending Norfolk, I would then be in the position of defending Bawmer, where I lived between the ages of 9 and 15 ... well, actually 10 miles south in Glen Burnie ... and between the ages of 19 and 23 ... well, actually in 27 miles south in Annapolis in Bancroft Hall at USNA? If you had lived there in the 50s and 60s, you would have avoided the Inner Harbor and Light Street areas for fear of your life. Compared to then, the place has improved a great deal. Like any large city, there are safe parts and unsafe parts.

Anybody wanna go for the trifecta and take a shot at Newport News, my birth city, and where I lived, when not living in MD?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Who could have guessed that, in addition to defending Norfolk, I would then be in the position of defending Bawmer, where I lived between the ages of 9 and 15 ... well, actually 10 miles south in Glen Burnie ... and between the ages of 19 and 23 ... well, actually in 27 miles south in Annapolis in Bancroft Hall at USNA? If you had lived there in the 50s and 60s, you would have avoided the Inner Harbor and Light Street areas for fear of your life. Compared to then, the place has improved a great deal. Like any large city, there are safe parts and unsafe parts.

Anybody wanna go for the trifecta and take a shot at Newport News, my birth city, and where I lived, when not living in MD?

Newport News is an absolutely crime-filled horrible place to live. :)

Last edited:

Thundar

Having driven a transport ambulance all over Norfolk and everywhere else for several years, I can tell you that you were close but quite into the bad part of Norfolk. I'd rather walk around NSU than drive through other parts of the city.

Oh and VB has the same environments, the city just dresses them up better so you don't realize it until it's too late.

When light rail starts running very soon, there will be a stop at NSU so the goblins can range more.

The worst part of Norfolk is South Norfolk. South Norfolk is seperated from the rest of Norfolk by the East Branch of the Elizabeth River. It is very dangerous there. Years ago the Norfolk PD opened a satellite police station. The zombies sniped at the police station on many occasions. The Norfolk P.D. response was to close the police station.

TFred

The worst part of Norfolk is South Norfolk. South Norfolk is seperated from the rest of Norfolk by the East Branch of the Elizabeth River. It is very dangerous there. Years ago the Norfolk PD opened a satellite police station. The zombies sniped at the police station on many occasions. The Norfolk P.D. response was to close the police station.
Drifting off topic a little... I learned in one of my geography classes that most of the cities in this general geographic area tended to settle with the "bad" side of town to the south and east of town center.

Typical weather patterns provide most prevailing wind from the west and northwest, which blew the stinky polluted air to the southeast of town, resulting in lower property values, and all the side effects that come with that. Even though the air pollution is probably nowhere near the issue it was when these cities were first settled, the pattern has stayed the same in most places. I suppose there are exceptions, and there are certainly other reasons for a town to draw "bad" elements, but there are plenty of cities where this does seem to be the case.

TFred

2a4all

Not all of Newport News is bad. It doesn't hurt to be well armed when transiting the crime filled dangerous parts of the city.

A quick look at the referenced map might suggest that these parts are fairly well distributed throughout the city, which is why I never go anywhere unarmed. http://www.dailypress2.com/crime/nn/

A few years ago, I took my new Mini14 to the Chickahominy range to try it out, and was chatting with another fellow also using the facility. When I told him where I lived, he suggested getting a couple more Mini14s.

After watching "The Movie", I got a couple of Garands instead.

Last edited:

67GT390FB

stay safe.

yes we would expect peter's daughter to look more like this picture below. now mrs naps daughter i'm sure looks like the lady above.

Attachments

• 0[1].jpg
    0[1].jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 119