Thread: Officer shoots suspect

Officer shoots suspect

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...l?rememberMe=y

Police said the officer caught up with the suspect. As he wrestled with the suspect, the officer thought he was going to pass out and fired his gun to save his life, according to the station.
    Can someone explain to me what that means?

It is sad the prison system let this scumbag out to begin with. And yes, I'm glad this piece of garbage is no longer walking the earth.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Sounds as if either 1) the cop found himself in a choke hold (not very likely based on the wording but I could be wrong) or 2) he was exhausted and decided to end the scuffle.

As for the prison system letting anybody out - it's not their call. They just try to hold the person for as long as the court told them to. Once the sentence has been served (look to the legislature to bust chops over "good time") there is nothing they can but release him. Otherwise it's violating his constitutional rights - which even as a felon he has some of.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Sounds as if either 1) the cop found himself in a choke hold (not very likely based on the wording but I could be wrong) or 2) he was exhausted and decided to end the scuffle.

As for the prison system letting anybody out - it's not their call. They just try to hold the person for as long as the court told them to. Once the sentence has been served (look to the legislature to bust chops over "good time") there is nothing they can but release him. Otherwise it's violating his constitutional rights - which even as a felon he has some of.

stay safe.
    That's why the wording in the article is weird.

I know it isn't their decision to make to release prisoners. It is our court system giving criminals light sentences that failed us.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

let the lesson learned be: 'Dont wrestle with outta shape cops...theyll get tired and just end it by shooting you... '

Could be justified, maybe not. It will be interesting to see how the investigation plays out.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Don't forget it's not exactly mild 60 degrees and overcast and those nice black unis aren't exactly running gear. It's very possible under stress and heat that the officer over exerted himself and was about to pass out. He may never have woke again if he did.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    --Thomas Jefferson

It is worded strangely.
    The best I can figure out is that the officer knew this person was violent (since they'd been struggling), and was fearful that if he fainted the other guy would take his gun, shoot him, & run off.

There is consequences for getting physical with anyone. If you get physical with a civilian you may or my not get killed. If you get physical with an officer it is very likely you will get killed. I have no problem with this. You fight officers who are wrong with the courts and the law. Not physically on the scene. You WILL lose every time, possibly with your life.

I am sure the LEO will be exonerated (almost all are in shootings). He was trying to avoid being killed by his own weapon after he passed out. However, a private citizen wouldn't be chasing a criminal down a road so we wouldn't have been in his situation.

I will say, that the "was passing out and so I had to shoot" is a convenient out for any use of LEO deadly force. But I do not want to pass judgement without further facts. When backup arrived, was he laying on the ground with his feet elevated to remain conscious or was he jumping around from adrenaline?

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by smithman View Post
    I am sure the LEO will be exonerated (almost all are in shootings). He was trying to avoid being killed by his own weapon after he passed out. However, a private citizen wouldn't be chasing a criminal down a road so we wouldn't have been in his situation.

I will say, that the "was passing out and so I had to shoot" is a convenient out for any use of LEO deadly force. But I do not want to pass judgement without further facts. When backup arrived, was he laying on the ground with his feet elevated to remain conscious or was he jumping around from adrenaline?
    And that also depends upon the time interval between the shooting and the arrival of other officers!