• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer shoots suspect

protias

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/125702403.html?rememberMe=y

Police said the officer caught up with the suspect. As he wrestled with the suspect, the officer thought he was going to pass out and fired his gun to save his life, according to the station.

Can someone explain to me what that means?

It is sad the prison system let this scumbag out to begin with. And yes, I'm glad this piece of garbage is no longer walking the earth.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sounds as if either 1) the cop found himself in a choke hold (not very likely based on the wording but I could be wrong) or 2) he was exhausted and decided to end the scuffle.

As for the prison system letting anybody out - it's not their call. They just try to hold the person for as long as the court told them to. Once the sentence has been served (look to the legislature to bust chops over "good time") there is nothing they can but release him. Otherwise it's violating his constitutional rights - which even as a felon he has some of.

stay safe.

protias

Sounds as if either 1) the cop found himself in a choke hold (not very likely based on the wording but I could be wrong) or 2) he was exhausted and decided to end the scuffle.

As for the prison system letting anybody out - it's not their call. They just try to hold the person for as long as the court told them to. Once the sentence has been served (look to the legislature to bust chops over "good time") there is nothing they can but release him. Otherwise it's violating his constitutional rights - which even as a felon he has some of.

stay safe.

That's why the wording in the article is weird.

I know it isn't their decision to make to release prisoners. It is our court system giving criminals light sentences that failed us.

Zeus

Don't forget it's not exactly mild 60 degrees and overcast and those nice black unis aren't exactly running gear. It's very possible under stress and heat that the officer over exerted himself and was about to pass out. He may never have woke again if he did.

MKEgal

It is worded strangely.
The best I can figure out is that the officer knew this person was violent (since they'd been struggling), and was fearful that if he fainted the other guy would take his gun, shoot him, & run off.

kawisixer01

There is consequences for getting physical with anyone. If you get physical with a civilian you may or my not get killed. If you get physical with an officer it is very likely you will get killed. I have no problem with this. You fight officers who are wrong with the courts and the law. Not physically on the scene. You WILL lose every time, possibly with your life.

smithman

I am sure the LEO will be exonerated (almost all are in shootings). He was trying to avoid being killed by his own weapon after he passed out. However, a private citizen wouldn't be chasing a criminal down a road so we wouldn't have been in his situation.

I will say, that the "was passing out and so I had to shoot" is a convenient out for any use of LEO deadly force. But I do not want to pass judgement without further facts. When backup arrived, was he laying on the ground with his feet elevated to remain conscious or was he jumping around from adrenaline?

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am sure the LEO will be exonerated (almost all are in shootings). He was trying to avoid being killed by his own weapon after he passed out. However, a private citizen wouldn't be chasing a criminal down a road so we wouldn't have been in his situation.

I will say, that the "was passing out and so I had to shoot" is a convenient out for any use of LEO deadly force. But I do not want to pass judgement without further facts. When backup arrived, was he laying on the ground with his feet elevated to remain conscious or was he jumping around from adrenaline?

And that also depends upon the time interval between the shooting and the arrival of other officers!