• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A profound statement on the RKBA

okboomer

I also have had mostly positive conversations and interactions with non-US folks about guns. I do find that Asians seem to be the most scared of guns, those from the Indian sub-continent quite open minded, and those from Europe most curious ;-) And lately, the Aussies the most angry :mad:

Several years ago when I went back to college and was in a major with a lot of non-US students there was quite a bit of interest from the men about guns and such. I was sort of casually upfront about the fact that not only had I shot a gun but that I actually owned guns. Some were not quite sure about how to react to that. Even though most were masters students, some were in the US for the first time and it was quite a culture shock for them to interact with Americans ... outspoken, opinionated, and much more assertive than themselves.

There was one man that offered to walk me to my vehicle after class one night (after a publicized assault on campus) that I accepted and when I got to my vehicle, I showed him the pocket pistol I had been carrying. He said he wasn't surprised, but it was his duty to protect women based on his culture and he wanted to show me respect. We still remain close friends to this day and he has visited my home town with his family to introduce his wife and children to me. After the second visit, he emailed me to tell me that his wife is "no longer concerned about guns in America if most gun owners are like [me]"

sudden valley gunner

Great story! I have found the immigrants in our part of the land very supportive of gun rights and OC. I frequent Asian restaurants and stores frequently and have had several express interest on how they can get something to help protect themselves and their property.

HKcarrier

Some guy in washington (I think) was shot by the cops... he was deaf or something like that... hence the phrase "birking someone" was coined... sort of like "dont' taze me bro"... "don't birk me" or "don't shoot me in the back"

Correct me if I'm wrong.

sudden valley gunner

Hey Sudden, what does that tee shirt say in your avatar? DONT BIRK ME doesn't make sense to me so I must be missing something?

Some guy in washington (I think) was shot by the cops... he was deaf or something like that... hence the phrase "birking someone" was coined... sort of like "dont' taze me bro"... "don't birk me" or "don't shoot me in the back"

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct officer Ian Birk murdered a well known Native Wood carver in Seattle. He had no RAS for a detention or arrest. The man he murdered made no threatening moves toward the officer. Yikes, scary to us OC'ers who open carry fully loaded pistols.

I should wear my shirt again today. :lol:

HKcarrier

Also, correct me if I"m wrong, ofc. birk was found to be improper in his shooting, but never faced any consequences.....

Gunslinger

You are correct officer Ian Birk murdered a well known Native Wood carver in Seattle. He had no RAS for a detention or arrest. The man he murdered made no threatening moves toward the officer. Yikes, scary to us OC'ers who open carry fully loaded pistols.

I should wear my shirt again today. :lol:

Shooting was ruled unjustified and the taxpayers just forked over $1.5M in a settlement "before" a suit was filed. He got fired but is still walking the streets, of course, cops being above the law.

http://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...carver-shooting-case-ends-in-1-5M-settlement/

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Also, correct me if I"m wrong, ofc. birk was found to be improper in his shooting, but never faced any consequences.....

Shooting was ruled unjustified and the taxpayers just forked over $1.5M in a settlement "before" a suit was filed. He got fired but is still walking the streets, of course, cops being above the law.

http://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...carver-shooting-case-ends-in-1-5M-settlement/

He was fired, the prosecutor like many do twisted the law to mean something it doesn't so as not to press charges, the family has looked into private prosecution. I haven't seen the agreement in the settlement whether that is out or not. I hope they do press criminal charges through private prosecution it is something I have been pushing for and would love to see brought back.

Gunslinger

He was fired, the prosecutor like many do twisted the law to mean something it doesn't so as not to press charges, the family has looked into private prosecution. I haven't seen the agreement in the settlement whether that is out or not. I hope they do press criminal charges through private prosecution it is something I have been pushing for and would love to see brought back.

They have standing to prosecute him under 18 USC 242 which can carry the death penalty.

sudden valley gunner

They have standing to prosecute him under 18 USC 242 which can carry the death penalty.

Private prosecution is making a subtle come back in some areas. One case made it to SCOTUS because the prosecutor didn't like the fact someone took over his job and did it better.....:lol:. The private party won!

I am following another case here in WA were some cops, decided to unnecessarily shoot a dog, and the owners are bringing charges against them because of course prosecutors don't prosecute cops. Seems that case in somewhat of a limbo. I have talked to the attorney in that case over the phone. Was actually able to give him info he needed because of my research into the subject.

Gunslinger

Private prosecution is making a subtle come back in some areas. One case made it to SCOTUS because the prosecutor didn't like the fact someone took over his job and did it better.....:lol:. The private party won!

I am following another case here in WA were some cops, decided to unnecessarily shoot a dog, and the owners are bringing charges against them because of course prosecutors don't prosecute cops. Seems that case in somewhat of a limbo. I have talked to the attorney in that case over the phone. Was actually able to give him info he needed because of my research into the subject.

Hope they nail the bastards.