Thread: new 1911

new 1911

Just bought a new Rock Island 1911 compact super excited.

RIAs are decent 1911s. I have two, a full size tactical model, and a Commander style. I have never had a problem with either gun. Congrats.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Thumbs up

You'll now learn that spending 1,000+ on a 1911 is just silly. People get faulty kimbers and send them back for repairs. People get faulty Springfields and send them back. People get faulty Taurus or RIAs and immediately shout all over the internet that you get what you pay for blah blah blah. Maintain that RIA and you have yourself a bitchin' carry 1911 for 1/8 the cost of everyone else.

There's nothing faulty with my Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander. Yes, I paid a little over a thousand for it and it is worth every penny. It's the most accurate gun I have shot to date. I love this gun and trust my life to it and my skill with it. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

My SIG GSRs both cost ~ $1000 and both have been sent back for problems. SIG got them, fixed them and returned them very quickly. Their CS is second to none, but I wasn't happy about having to return them. They are dead on accurate, extremely well made and worth what I paid. (My 69C Hi-Power has 'never' had a problem in the 40 years I've owned it, in comparison. Never. It is simply a better design than the 1911.) A friend had a $1300 Kimber that broke a trigger pin after 7 shots. SA TRPs have had many reported problems; for years, Colts were a step above junk. No 1911 is perfect no matter how much you pay. A $500 Phillipines made pistol with a good reputation--made by Armscor, is a good way to start out. Plenty of time to move up later on. Have fun with it until then!
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Here is my RIA GI that has been promoted with new sights, High polish, hot tank blue, beaver tail grip safety, combat hammer and I carved a new ste of grip panels. It shoots good also.

g[/IMG]
    Last edited by Trigger Dr; 07-24-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Really nice work on the grips. They are beautiful.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Really nice work on the grips. They are beautiful.
    Grips make the gun. Nice job!
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    There's nothing faulty with my Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander. Yes, I paid a little over a thousand for it and it is worth every penny. It's the most accurate gun I have shot to date. I love this gun and trust my life to it and my skill with it. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
    +1trillion!!!

I love my DW bobtail! eats anything i put in it; wwb, Am eagle, blazer, magtech, federal, even the "trouble some" Hornady critical defense feeds no problem. Shoots better than I can, and my gawd the finish on it is just stunning!

my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    You'll now learn that spending 1,000+ on a 1911 is just silly. People get faulty kimbers and send them back for repairs. People get faulty Springfields and send them back. People get faulty Taurus or RIAs and immediately shout all over the internet that you get what you pay for blah blah blah. Maintain that RIA and you have yourself a bitchin' carry 1911 for 1/8 the cost of everyone else.
    Well, I have a Kimber and a Springfield and both are total sweetness to shoot. They look good and FIT MY SMALL PAWS which is what decided my purchase. At the time I acquired them, there were not very many small frame 1911s and the Kimber was chambered in .45 which was the only small frame at the time. Now, I can get the EMP and the UCII chambered in 9mm, .40acp, .45acp.
    Last edited by okboomer; 07-30-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling error
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Talking

I never bashed your $1000+ guns. I'm just saying OP has the same model firearm for a fraction of the cost. It's a 1911 that cost 300-400. Yours is a 1911 that costs 1000+. Just sayin'...
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]