• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new 1911

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
RIAs are decent 1911s. I have two, a full size tactical model, and a Commander style. I have never had a problem with either gun. Congrats.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
You'll now learn that spending 1,000+ on a 1911 is just silly. People get faulty kimbers and send them back for repairs. People get faulty Springfields and send them back. People get faulty Taurus or RIAs and immediately shout all over the internet that you get what you pay for blah blah blah. Maintain that RIA and you have yourself a bitchin' carry 1911 for 1/8 the cost of everyone else.

Ruby

There's nothing faulty with my Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander. Yes, I paid a little over a thousand for it and it is worth every penny. It's the most accurate gun I have shot to date. I love this gun and trust my life to it and my skill with it. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.:D

Gunslinger

My SIG GSRs both cost ~ $1000 and both have been sent back for problems. SIG got them, fixed them and returned them very quickly. Their CS is second to none, but I wasn't happy about having to return them. They are dead on accurate, extremely well made and worth what I paid. (My 69C Hi-Power has 'never' had a problem in the 40 years I've owned it, in comparison. Never. It is simply a better design than the 1911.) A friend had a $1300 Kimber that broke a trigger pin after 7 shots. SA TRPs have had many reported problems; for years, Colts were a step above junk. No 1911 is perfect no matter how much you pay. A $500 Phillipines made pistol with a good reputation--made by Armscor, is a good way to start out. Plenty of time to move up later on. Have fun with it until then!

Trigger Dr

Here is my RIA GI that has been promoted with new sights, High polish, hot tank blue, beaver tail grip safety, combat hammer and I carved a new ste of grip panels. It shoots good also.

009.jpg
g[/IMG]

Last edited:

tim12232

There's nothing faulty with my Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander. Yes, I paid a little over a thousand for it and it is worth every penny. It's the most accurate gun I have shot to date. I love this gun and trust my life to it and my skill with it. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.:D

+1trillion!!!

I love my DW bobtail! eats anything i put in it; wwb, Am eagle, blazer, magtech, federal, even the "trouble some" Hornady critical defense feeds no problem. Shoots better than I can, and my gawd the finish on it is just stunning!

my .02

okboomer

You'll now learn that spending 1,000+ on a 1911 is just silly. People get faulty kimbers and send them back for repairs. People get faulty Springfields and send them back. People get faulty Taurus or RIAs and immediately shout all over the internet that you get what you pay for blah blah blah. Maintain that RIA and you have yourself a bitchin' carry 1911 for 1/8 the cost of everyone else.

Well, I have a Kimber and a Springfield and both are total sweetness to shoot. They look good and FIT MY SMALL PAWS which is what decided my purchase. At the time I acquired them, there were not very many small frame 1911s and the Kimber was chambered in .45 which was the only small frame at the time. Now, I can get the EMP and the UCII chambered in 9mm, .40acp, .45acp.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I never bashed your $1000+ guns. I'm just saying OP has the same model firearm for a fraction of the cost. It's a 1911 that cost 300-400. Yours is a 1911 that costs 1000+. Just sayin'...