• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Notification Issue in Ohio...

eastmeyers

Detroit, MI to Canton, OH is 3.5 hour drive. When (if) there is a picnic we need to get as many people car pooled down their as possible from OCDO MI, MOC, and MGO! To show our support. I may not like Ohio as a whole (rivalry BS), but I LOVE AMERICA! This can NOT stand!

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

that video is chilling. loud mouth cops can't even shut their mouths long enough to let the guy notify. i hope both of them lose their badges. i can't believe that cop said all that knowing he was being recorded. that's amazing. he admitted that he was willing to execute someone in cold blood and also that he admitted he would pull the guy over and tow his car without PC.

If the camera can't see you it can't hear you either...dontchya know? :p

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Detroit, MI to Canton, OH is 3.5 hour drive. When (if) there is a picnic we need to get as many people car pooled down their as possible from OCDO MI, MOC, and MGO! To show our support. I may not like Ohio as a whole (rivalry BS), but I LOVE AMERICA! This can NOT stand!
i'm in. the flack has gotten so bad that the canton pd shut down their facebook page. my sister in law lives not too far from canton and called to ask after the status of the offending officer. initially they said that he was "relieved of duty" she finally got the real story from them and it turns out he's just on paid sick leave.

budlight

This video is really chilling. I can't believe this cop said he was willing to execute someone for lawful carry?????? It's also hard to believe this cop is still on the payroll. If I was the chief and saw this video he would have been terminated on the spot.

pirateguy191

Come on down

If there is a picnic or walk of some sort, we would be glad to have you. Even though you're from Michigan.

kubel

Looks to me like the dude was trying to pick up a hooker...

Possibly. Bartlett (driver) asserts that he knew her from a previous job, and the hooker claims she hasn't been arrested for solicitation in 2 years. In any event, neither the woman nor the driver was arrested for anything related. He was arrested wrongfully because the cop was maintaining verbal control over the situation to the point where he couldn't even give notification. He had to hold up his permit before the cop realized he was carrying.

Packer fan

Possibly. Bartlett (driver) asserts that he knew her from a previous job, and the hooker claims she hasn't been arrested for solicitation in 2 years. In any event, neither the woman nor the driver was arrested for anything related. He was arrested wrongfully because the cop was maintaining verbal control over the situation to the point where he couldn't even give notification. He had to hold up his permit before the cop realized he was carrying.

... and even when held up the officer didn't see it. It's a good thing that man help on to it and didn't drop it on his way back to his car or he may be 6' under right now.

Wow, with all these threats and he's on sick leave? That tells me that this goes all the way to the top. This isn't a rouge officer this is a department policy.

Why wasn't this officer arrested for threatening to murder a man while handcuffed; or as he put it take ten steps back and unload ten shots and watch him drop and not lose any sleep. Is this what that PD stand for?

I know there are a few bad apples but it's that one bad apple that can ruin an appetite.

We shouldn't COP bash but how do you defend this as an officer?

Jared

The must notify requirement is unconstitutional in Michigan. It's an equal protection issue because license holders are penalized for exercising their 5th amendment rights.

I agree that it must go.

I've seen in Wayne County where must notify can be bad... especially if you are a black man.

Don't expect our useless legislator to repeal anything.... we can't even repeal registration.

On that note, don't expect our hack governor to do anything either... he's another tool.

eastmeyers

I cant drive in ohio, heard it was a 65mph state. :eek: :exclaim:.

I haven't in awhile, but I thought it was 60mph, isn't? And if you have a MI plate (which I am sure most of us do, I do), its 55mph lol. :uhoh: If its not a bad pain day, I can drive and take 3-4 others, I will cover gas, this one has got me upset.

HKcarrier

Look, that CHL holder was a true blithering idiot. When the cop was INSIDE HIS CAR, regardless of whether he was told to NOT SAY A WORD or not, he could have and should have held it out to the officer or held it up so it was noticed. He just sat there quiet as a mouse.

I'll usually be the LAST to defend the officers... and really, I"m not defending them here I guess because so much they said was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO far over the line.. I guess I"m just saying that Dimwit Dan the driver had a lot of responsibility in the situation too. I"m just not as appalled by this situation as some other people.

The cop used the word execute, yes.... and that was a poor choice of words, but he was explaining that when he saw the gun and the guy had not told him he had a CHL, he possibly would have been within his officer rights to plug the guy... and that he wouldn't have lost sleep for plugging a guy with a gun because he would have assumed since the guy didn't notify that he was illegally carrying and the officer was in danger.

Before people get sent all reeling by the word "execute" I think it's important to look at the context.

The officer CLEARLY is a roid rager (or at least just a rager) and needs some anger management classes by all means regardless of whether he has a job any longer.... Guy is a first class A-hole and shouldn't have a badge... also, the threats of future harrassment were REALLY stupid. Threats to cave in the guys skull, etc... stupid.

I thinkk it's also important to consider that dimwit dan the driver seems to be more than a bit underqualified to possess a firearm.

I also stand by my assertion that if he wasn't picking up hookers, he wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

Last edited:

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
but he was explaining that when he saw the gun and the guy had not told him he had a CHL, he possibly would have been within his officer rights to plug the guy... and that he wouldn't have lost sleep for plugging a guy with a gun because he would have assumed since the guy didn't notify that he was illegally carrying and the officer was in danger.

If this is your opinion of how someone who isn't allowed to notify should be handled, it would seem that you think the "duty to notify" should stay intact. If we allow police to act in such a manner now, then repealing a duty to notify would make no sense. Do I think that he should have continued trying to notify, yes. But that does NOT justify the officers actions. If we see someone on the street and there shirt rises and we see a gun should we pull ours in case they are dangerous? Should they have to notify us that they are a cpl holder? Do you really think that if he was able to tell the officer at the beginning that his (the officers) behavior would have been better?