Thread: Ruger 22/45 vs Sig Sauer Mosquito

Ruger 22/45 vs Sig Sauer Mosquito

I was in Gander Mountain fondling firearms the other day as I am wanting to get a .22 Semi Auto to help lower the cost of practice.

I had went in to compare the two Ruger's that I really like the MKIII and the 22/45. I did like the feel of the Ruger 22/45 with the bull barrel.

After checking different Rugers, the clerk pulled out the Sig Mosquito. I really liked the way it felt in my hand. I also liked that it had a lefty safety release. Ruger did not bother to put the safety release in for us lefties. That is not a deal breaker.

There are some threads on hear from a couple of years back that speak of the Sig as being unreliable and a jam o matic. From the sounds of it, it is ammo picky.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with the current production Sigs or have they worked out the bugs?

Here is the Ruger that I am thinking of getting: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/62621

Stay away from the Sig. They are awesome firearms in general but the Mosquito was a big fail. I have one. It only eats Federal ammunition, everything else jams. Even the Federal jams sometimes. On the other hand I bought my wife a Walther P22 and we haven't had a problem with that at all. Haven't heard anything bad about the Ruger.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-17-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Activist Member
    From shooting my sister's mosquito I'm pretty sure it is still ammo picky even with new productions. There didn't seem to be any problems with CCI ammo, however that halfway defeats the purpose of of shooting .22lr. I recommend a Walther p22. I got mine from Gander right after I turned 21. It is slightly picky when it comes to ammo, but nowhere near as picky as the mosquito. I knew it was picky before I got it and bought it with the intention of practicing failure drills in real time on the range on top of doing them with dummy rounds.

The Ruger is a much better choice between it and the Mosquito. More accurate and eats almost everything. That being said, if you are buying a .22 to train with it should have as close to the same controls as the one you carry so you are always working to train your muscle memory. The safety and slide on the Ruger don't match many carry guns.

If I had to choose between the Ruger and the Mosquito I would choose the Walther P22.

The Ruger MkIII and 22/45 would come in a close second.
    NC CCH Instructor
    VA CCH Instructor
    NRA Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
    RSO

Quote Originally Posted by 25-06shooter View Post
    The Ruger is a much better choice between it and the Mosquito. More accurate and eats almost everything. That being said, if you are buying a .22 to train with it should have as close to the same controls as the one you carry so you are always working to train your muscle memory. The safety and slide on the Ruger don't match many carry guns.

If I had to choose between the Ruger and the Mosquito I would choose the Walther P22.

The Ruger MkIII and 22/45 would come in a close second.
    Well, sounds like I need to find a Walther P22 and see how it feels in my hands. I keep hearing great things about it.

I have a 22/45 Ruger have put a lot of rounds through it.
    Had a Walther P22 it has a new home I like the Ruger better.
    Life is tough, its tougher when your stupid.

http://www.itsnotthelaw.com

Feds: U.C.C. 1-308, State: U.C.C. 1-207, Both: U.C.C. 1-103.6

I have a 22/45 and love it! If you are a 1911 shooter, it can help your shooting skills because of the similarity in controls. I have the hunter with the 6 7/8 " (or whatever it is) barrel. It's a tack driver. I'm not a huge fan of the HiViz sights on it, but I have since put a red dot scope on it and love it even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Wetworx View Post
    I have a 22/45 and love it! If you are a 1911 shooter, it can help your shooting skills because of the similarity in controls. I have the hunter with the 6 7/8 " (or whatever it is) barrel. It's a tack driver. I'm not a huge fan of the HiViz sights on it, but I have since put a red dot scope on it and love it even more!
    If you like 1911s you shoot check out the GSG-1911. It is supposed to work very well. Built ground up for the .22 round.

Attachment 6383

http://dealer.americantactical.us/products?product=609
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-19-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    If you like 1911s you shoot check out the GSG-1911. It is supposed to work very well. Built ground up for the .22 round.

Attachment 6383

http://dealer.americantactical.us/products?product=609
    I haven't handled them, but they do look nice. I have the GSG-5 (MP5-like .22 LR) and it's a lot of fun.

I would either go ruger or browning. I have a mkII ruger that will fire any 22lr round. I have seen some of the early walthers be pretty finicky with ammo also. I have never seen a browning have any issues, but I have never owned a buckmark either.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Walther P22's *can* be finicky about ammo, but that's mostly an artifact of the feed ramp sometimes not being properly shaped. Access to a dremel tool or lots of patience with a file will do the job. If you're not willing or able to do either, just put in decent round nose ammunition. CCI Minimags seem to be a cure-all for FTF issues.
    "There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace." ~ Aldo Leopold

Trailrunner's Blog
    Got Twitter?

I own a Mosquito, desert digital camo with a threaded barrel. I bought it for plinking and have not been happy with it. You have to use the CCI mini mags in it or it jams like crazy, with the mini mags it still does not run that great. Someday I will replace it with a Buckmark or a revolver, right now I'm on a .45 and 10mm kick.

Minimags are great rounds, but too expensive, IMHO, for .22 LR. I'd stick with the Ruger and use whatever cheap, Wally World .22 LR you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    I was in Gander Mountain fondling firearms the other day as I am wanting to get a .22 Semi Auto to help lower the cost of practice.

I had went in to compare the two Ruger's that I really like the MKIII and the 22/45. I did like the feel of the Ruger 22/45 with the bull barrel.

After checking different Rugers, the clerk pulled out the Sig Mosquito. I really liked the way it felt in my hand. I also liked that it had a lefty safety release. Ruger did not bother to put the safety release in for us lefties. That is not a deal breaker.

There are some threads on hear from a couple of years back that speak of the Sig as being unreliable and a jam o matic. From the sounds of it, it is ammo picky.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with the current production Sigs or have they worked out the bugs?

Here is the Ruger that I am thinking of getting: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/62621

If u get a chance look at the KIMBER rimfire standard or KIMBER rimfire target.
    It has the same profile as a 1911, like the RUGER 22//45 the KIMBERS are sweeeeeeet,
    can use same holster as 1911 also, they are nice and light too.
    If looking for a revolver the S&W 317 is a nice one, 8 shot and should be only 1
    U should have to buy for you and generation or two or three to come after you!!
    Just my input on 22 cal pistols. dr4pat
    Last edited by dr4pat; 03-08-2012 at 05:16 PM.

I've been checking out .22s as well- both semi's and revolvers. Considering a suggested Rough rider-but, am holding out until I can get a look at the Ruger SR-22. That looks like it can be a sweet little one, -and, for us lefties, they thought to include ambi safeties.

I have a Ruger MkI (only major differences being a last shot hold open, location of mag release, and a slide stop. Minor differences are the loaded chamber indicator and mag safety) and it has to be the least picky .22 semi-auto ever. I even shoot the CCI Blazer lead hollow points fine. The only hiccups that gun has are due to the ammo (squib loads, misfires, etc).

As for the safety, I RARELY ever use mine. I don't keep it loaded at home, and when it's loaded at the range it's because I'm already ready to fire. And it's not like you're training to use it for defense, so flipping the safety in one of our convoluted southpaw ways isn't a big deal when it's just target practice.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm