Thread: Skyway Fishing Pier

Skyway Fishing Pier

I thought that You were allowed to carry your firearm in National Parks and State Park now. I went fishing at the Skyway Fishing Pier yesterday and
    they have a sign right as you enter and pay that states NO FIREARMS, so I ask the lady and she say that you are not allowed as well because some guy owns it, but I checked and it states that it is a State Park. Any info on this subject?
    http://floridastateparks.org/skyway/default.cfm
    God Bless America.

She is wrong and we have forwarded the information you supplied to our legal team. Thanks and if you can get a photo of the sign, that would be helpful. Send it to rich@floridacarry.org.
    Last edited by Rich7553; 07-18-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    She is wrong and we have forwarded the information you supplied to our legal team. Thanks and if you can get a photo of the sign, that would be helpful. Send it to rich@floridacarry.org.
    Click the pic to make bigger

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-17 00.27.19.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	6380
    Last edited by Rick H; 07-19-2011 at 01:42 AM.
    God Bless America.

So in other words this is a place to Open Carry legally, while fishing of course.
    Last edited by Rick H; 07-19-2011 at 02:06 AM.
    God Bless America.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    So in other words this is a place to Open Carry legally, while fishing of course.
    Correct. We are contacting the Florida Department of Parks and Recreation, who manage the state parks, regarding your inquiry.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2

Click the pic to make bigger

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-17 00.27.19.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	6380
    This looks like it's right beneath the window where one pays to go on the pier?
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2

This looks like it's right beneath the window where one pays to go on the pier?
    yes that is correct.
    God Bless America.

Woo-Hoo!

Road Trip!

Perhaps there might a good time in the near future to have an Open Carry Fishing Day there!

Just under a two hour ride for me, but it would be good to see some of the posters in the thread up there!

AD (idle thinking before a doctor's appointment)
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

Ah, Downtown Saint Petersburg. Those were the days.

You better be carying a gun. If not, you have a death wish.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

E-mail has been sent to the Division of Parks and Recreation. We'll see what kind of response we get.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    Woo-Hoo!

Road Trip!

Perhaps there might a good time in the near future to have an Open Carry Fishing Day there!

Just under a two hour ride for me, but it would be good to see some of the posters in the thread up there!

When ever you are ready let do it, i'm in any day anytime for this one.
    Only a half hour away but love fishing there because it is a ez bait catch there.
    and the tides carry out your bait for you.
    There is good Grouper and Spanish Mac, King Mac, and shark at night.
    A lot of families there so try and bring your with if possible.
    A some what ok snack / bait house too.
    maybe this could be a great Opencarry fishing spot for the agenda.
    God Bless America.

When ever you are ready let do it, i'm in any day anytime for this one.
    Only a half hour away but love fishing there because it is a ez bait catch there.
    and the tides carry out your bait for you.
    There is good Grouper and Spanish Mac, King Mac, and shark at night.
    A lot of families there so try and bring your with if possible.
    A some what ok snack / bait house too.
    maybe this could be a great Opencarry fishing spot for the agenda.
    We are considering it, however bear in mind that the goal of the "official" open carry fishing events that are supported by Florida Open Carry/Florida Carry, Inc. is not to be confrontational, but to educate and normalize citizens to the concept of lawful open carry. We would prefer to resolve issues like this one prior to gathering en masse at a presumably hostile location.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2

We would prefer to resolve issues like this one prior to gathering en masse at a presumably hostile location.
    Sorry, I must have confused a few people.

Yes, that would be the original idea though. I should have made it clearer.

AFTER the signs come down, THEN we have a nice and informative Open Carry Fishing Sortie on the Skyway!

I think I could even convince the wife to show up for that one!

Heck, we probably won't have Monday Night football this year so maybe that could be our Monday Night Excuse?????

AD
    NRA Certified Instructor

We are considering it, however bear in mind that the goal of the "official" open carry fishing events that are supported by Florida Open Carry/Florida Carry, Inc. is not to be confrontational, but to educate and normalize citizens to the concept of lawful open carry. We would prefer to resolve issues like this one prior to gathering en masse at a presumably hostile location.
    I agree, just say when. If we want to educate and normalize citizens that is the place to do it. There are always hundreds of people everyday and nite fishing there. It would be great exposure for our cause.
    Last edited by 10x; 07-20-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    I agree, just say when. If we want to educate and normalize citizens that is the place to do it. There are always hundreds of people everyday and nite fishing there. It would be great exposure for our cause.
    Will do. If we don't hear anything by Monday, a follow-up email will be sent. Then, the attorneys get involved.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2

I have spoken with the proper officials at the Florida Parks Service. All park personnel and contracted private concessioners are being properly educated on Florida's gun laws at they pertain to the parks and all signs and printed matericlas prohibitive of firearms should already be gone.

This one, being stamped in to the concrete, will take a little longer to get rid of but it should be covered over immediately.

Please let me know if it is not gone by Aug 15th or if any others are found anywhere at any Florida State Park.

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    Woo-Hoo!

Road Trip!

i'm down- i live 30 min from there. i may do it solo or with a buddy and record it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

Going fishing today at the Skyway Fishing Pier.. ( O.C )

It is going to be a interesting day. A friend and I are going to Open Carry at the Skyway Pier around 4:00pm,
    I will be recording with my Phone which is all I have, Battery is weak but I'll start recording if any B.S starts.
    If anybody wants to join in I'll be around the bait house. You can't miss me I'm the bald guy with bluegrass playing
    in my jeep.
    Who know maybe I'll even catch some fish.....lol
    God Bless America.

Please verify that the sign has been covered over. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    Please verify that the sign has been covered over. Thanks.
    I will do and take a pic of that as well, are we for sure that this will be a legal place to O.C
    God Bless America.

Question, Should I call and let the LEO know that I will be there Open Carrying as well as the FWC just to see what kind of reaction I will get ???
    God Bless America.

I'd just go fishing. The parks service is aware of the issue and local LE is accustomed to our monthly fishing events. See here: http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Carry/events/23183441/

Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    I'd just go fishing. The parks service is aware of the issue and local LE is accustomed to our monthly fishing events. See here: http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Carry/events/23183441/
    Well the sign is gone from the ticket booth, but the green entry passes still have NO FIREARMS printed on them.
    Went fishing from 4:30 until 10:00 and not one drop of trouble to report. But yet again there was very few people there.
    I had talk to the lady at the booth as well as the guy at the bait house and they had no clue as to what I was doing.
    I did let them know that I would be Open Carrying and they said that they had no problem with it, I told her about it so
    as she would NOT be alarmed if somebody came to the front about man with gun.
    God Bless America.

Well the sign is gone from the ticket booth, but the green entry passes still have NO FIREARMS printed on them.
    Went fishing from 4:30 until 10:00 and not one drop of trouble to report. But yet again there was very few people there.
    I had talk to the lady at the booth as well as the guy at the bait house and they had no clue as to what I was doing.
    I did let them know that I would be Open Carrying and they said that they had no problem with it, I told her about it so
    as she would NOT be alarmed if somebody came to the front about man with gun.
    No screaming and gnashing of teeth that a slave was visibly armed? Amazing. You know, I've OCed a lot out of state this summer. Just got back from OCing all over Georgia which included sitting at a booth next to 4 Georgia state patrol at lunch at a fast food restaurant in Perry. I hadn't seen them until after I got my food. I was nervous because I don't get to OC that often and with Georgia being a green state I was prepared for them to say something. The two facing me saw my gun and did nothing and didn't say anything to their friends facing away from me. Neither did the 100 other people even seem to care ( this chick-fil-a had to be a gold mine). I guess our lawmakers in Fl are just full of shite.
    Last edited by 77zach; 08-22-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    No screaming and gnashing of teeth that a slave was visibly armed? Amazing. You know, I've OCed a lot out of state this summer.
    Same thing here for me. I've just come back from a 3 week road trip on the motorcycle with a LOT of open carry being done in the states where it's legal. Not a problem at all and nobody even gives it a second look.

As I was coming back from an extended camping/fishing/shooting excursion, I did OC all through Florida when I got back into the state! Not a problem at any of the fuel or food stops and I was in my "motorcycle long range rider" clothing!

AD (good to be back home)
    NRA Certified Instructor