• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's Time Now...

ocgso

The sad part of all of this is the simple fact that many of the rights that we are denied in the interest of public safety are readily available to citizens of other states (and there have been no negative consequences because of it).

Alaska and Vermont allow their citizen to carry firearms without a permit (open or concealed). Utah allows carry on educational property. Virginia (and many others) allow gun owners to carry their firearms into places where alcohol is served. None of these states have had negative consequences because of any of these rights.

There are so many places that you cannot carry, that it is very difficult.......I took my 5 year old to a movie the other day (cars 2) and of course since you are charged admission, you aren't supposed to have it. I chose not to OC because if we were asked to leave, he would be heartbroken. I cannot CC or I am breaking the law.

It is such a crock of S*&T. And some of the people who we elected to move us in this direction have basically tried to pass enough to appease us, without angering their fellow law makers. I am tired of these spineless politicians who are all in favor of letting judges, cops, and district attorneys carry guns anywhere they please. I know people in other professions that can/have come into situations as dangerous as any judge, cop, or DA would.

When are we going to have it so that we can protect ourselves when away from home? When is this going to upheld like the 1st amendment?

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
ocgso - I couldn't have said it better myself.

Just curious - have you ever OC'd to a movie theater before? If so, how did that go for you. I haven't attempted it. I understand it may technically be legal since the law only prohibits CC, but I figure its a good way to receive unwanted harassment from LEOs really fast.

EDIT: I stand corrected - the law does not merely prohibit CC in a movie theater. It is worded to prohibit the carrying of firearms. No reference to mode of carry. Bottom line: you can't legally do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Greg Bradburn

ocgso - I couldn't have said it better myself.

Just curious - have you ever OC'd to a movie theater before? If so, how did that go for you. I haven't attempted it. I understand it may technically be legal since the law only prohibits CC, but I figure its a good way to receive unwanted harassment from LEOs really fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Following this with interest.

Cap45

Statute

Thought you couldn't bring any gun into a premise that charges admission, including open carry.

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

From what I read, it means open carry as well, but I am still learing.