Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording devices

Recording devices

Anyone use any covert recording devices (bluetooth camera, belt camera, watch camera, pen camera, etc.....) ? I would appreciate any thoughts on them.

I recently picked up a voice recorder that has a USB port. Its an Olympus, and I got it through Amazon for $43 IIRC.

Be sure to read the reviews on any you select. One device that had a USB port and plugged directly into the PC, it got bad reviews because the weight of the device caused the USB to disconnect.

You want one with fairly large sized recording capability, voice activated recording, and USB port.

I use a Olympus VN-8100PC (about 47 bux) and have been very happy with it.

It picks up EVERYTHING with a very good highly sensitive microphone even if it's in a sweatshirt pocket or on a string under your shirt, and can handle loud environments.

Recording time is something like 23 hours, so it can be turned on and forgotten about.

Some people use cell phones and so on, but my BlackBerry one takes about 3 minutes to start and doesn't work very well.
    "I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity." - Captain Nemo

Just remember that it is illegal to use in a "police state" - Ill-annoy, unless ALL parties agree to the recording!

"In Illinois, an eavesdropping device cannot be used to record or overhear a conversation without the consent of all parties to the conversation. 720 Ill. Compiled Stat. Ann. 5/14-1, -2. An eavesdropping device is defined as anything used to hear or record a conversation, even if the conversation is conducted in person."

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/illinois.html

Wisconsin is a one party state so if you consent (obviously) then it is all good.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 07-18-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Does that thing fit in a Speedo???
    Attachment 6369
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Mind Exercise

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    Just remember that it is illegal to use in a "police state" - Ill-annoy, unless ALL parties agree to the recording!

"In Illinois, an eavesdropping device cannot be used to record or overhear a conversation without the consent of all parties to the conversation. 720 Ill. Compiled Stat. Ann. 5/14-1, -2. An eavesdropping device is defined as anything used to hear or record a conversation, even if the conversation is conducted in person."

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/illinois.html
    An interesting question is whether the consent needs to be for a particular device or for a particular communication or both. For instance, during a traffic stop, a LEO with a dash cam has obviously consented to be recorded. Does that consent cover a camera or other device operated by somebody else (without the LEO's knowledge)?

I use my iPhone 4 Voice Memos app, does a wonderful job picking up quiet conversations and will record as long as you have space on your phone. One less gadget to haul with me, I already carry my personal and work cell phone, and a camera. Takes me about 8 seconds to pull my iPhone out, unlock it, open the app, and hit the record button.
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro01 View Post
    I use my iPhone 4 Voice Memos app, does a wonderful job picking up quiet conversations and will record as long as you have space on your phone. One less gadget to haul with me, I already carry my personal and work cell phone, and a camera. Takes me about 8 seconds to pull my iPhone out, unlock it, open the app, and hit the record button.
    I use the same thing. I turn it on before I leave the house and turn it off when I get back home. In addition, it will record in the background so you can use other apps simultaneously. Works great, good audio quality.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    Attachment 6369
    Why yes, yes it does. But then again I wear my Speedo around my neck. I like things to run free so to speak.

The Playsport is incredibly rugged.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    An interesting question is whether the consent needs to be for a particular device or for a particular communication or both. For instance, during a traffic stop, a LEO with a dash cam has obviously consented to be recorded. Does that consent cover a camera or other device operated by somebody else (without the LEO's knowledge)?
    The answer to the question for the "police state" of Flatland is:

" (720 ILCS 5/14‑3)
    (Text of Section from P.A. 96‑1000)
    Sec. 14‑3. Exemptions. The following activities shall be exempt from the provisions of this Article:

(h) Recordings made simultaneously with the use of an in‑car video camera recording of an oral conversation between a uniformed peace officer, who has identified his or her office, and a person in the presence of the peace officer whenever (i) an officer assigned a patrol vehicle is conducting an enforcement stop; or (ii) patrol vehicle emergency lights are activated or would otherwise be activated if not for the need to conceal the presence of law enforcement.

For the purposes of this subsection (h), "enforcement stop" means an action by a law enforcement officer in relation to enforcement and investigation duties, including but not limited to, traffic stops, pedestrian stops, abandoned vehicle contacts, motorist assists, commercial motor vehicle stops, roadside safety checks, requests for identification, or responses to requests for emergency assistance;

(h‑5) Recordings of utterances made by a person while in the presence of a uniformed peace officer and while an occupant of a police vehicle including, but not limited to, (i) recordings made simultaneously with the use of an in‑car video camera and (ii) recordings made in the presence of the peace officer utilizing video or audio systems, or both, authorized by the law enforcement agency;

(h‑10) Recordings made simultaneously with a video camera recording during the use of a taser or similar weapon or device by a peace officer if the weapon or device is equipped with such camera;
    ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    Attachment 6369
    Nothing, I repeat NOTHING fits in a Speedo.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    ^^^this^^^
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

I have a Pen camera, a watch camera, sun glasses camera and a car remote/key chain camera. All are video with sound.

The watch camera video and sound both stink. Pass.

The pen camera video is good, the sound is fair. But it's a big fancy "office desk" type pen that looks out of place in a pocket.

The sun glasses camera takes excellent video with good sound. But it's a little obtrusive when being worn.

The car remote camera takes very good video with very good sound. Nobody notices it when it's in your hand or sitting on a table, especially when there are actual car keys attached to it.

Word of warning: none of these cameras have a "steady shot" feature. So the picture is very shaky when you're moving around and stuff.

I got all 4 cameras on Ebay for under $100 total for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    The answer to the question for the "police state" of Flatland is:

Yes there are three high profile cases in IL right now regarding video recording the pi... uhm cops. All three citizens are charged with felonies and are looking at 15 years if I remember correctly.

IL is not a place to mess around. "Midnight Express" comes to mind.

Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

The only thing I carry is my cell with a voice recorder app. Everyone remember to lock your cell phone with a password. There was a recent ruling that your phone can be searched without warrant. Kinda hard to look through it if they don't know the password to unlock the screen.

I know that I am hosed in IL, but I was wondering what recorder to bring with when I am elsewhere. I've used my Flip in the past, but it's a bit bulky.

Wait A Minute

Yes there are three high profile cases in IL right now regarding video recording the pi... uhm cops. All three citizens are charged with felonies and are looking at 15 years if I remember correctly.

IL is not a place to mess around. "Midnight Express" comes to mind.

If these situations are listed under "Exemptions" does that not mean that you can record the activity?

Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    If these situations are listed under "Exemptions" does that not mean that you can record the activity?
    I don't know what you mean by exemptions. I know if you audio record police or judges you will be arrested for a felony offense of wiretapping.

The last link I posted here somewhere on the subject...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_872921.html

I know from 25 years of personal experience that if you even look like you might take a picture in the general area around where an IL cop might be standing in you will be slammed against walls, screamed at, chased out of the area, denied parking on public streets, and I can't even remember the rest.

Illinois puts the "N" in Nazi.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 07-18-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

I believe one of our friends from Kenosha has a pair of sunglasses that records audio and video.

There is also a pocket pen that also records audio and video, which I think Mark Thole from Midwest Marksman has stock to sell.

I don't know what you mean by exemptions. I know if you audio record police or judges you will be arrested for a felony offense of wiretapping.

The last link I posted here somewhere on the subject...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_872921.html

I know from 25 years of personal experience that if you even look like you might take a picture in the general area around where an IL cop might be standing in you will be slammed against walls, screamed at, chased out of the area, denied parking on public streets, and I can't even remember the rest.

Illinois puts the "N" in Nazi.
    Wiretapping is a third party monitoring of internet or phone conversations, not two party conversations.

These are really slick and are actually being used by LEO's in various states. Available on Amazon for under $60 http://t.co/7aCKYSD

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    Wiretapping is a third party monitoring of internet or phone conversations, not two party conversations.
    Might want to tell that to Illinois 'cause I don't think they got the memo.

Illinois has one of the three most restrictive eavesdropping laws in the country, along with Maryland and Massachusetts. And Illinois police and prosecutors are not shy about using the law to punish the taping of arrests and interrogations.

Chicago authorities recently have charged a street artist and a stripper for violating the law. Both face 15 years in prison.
    http://gatewayjr.org/2011/02/06/illi...w-restrictive/

Mark Donahue, president of the Fraternal Order of Police in Chicago, said he believes the state's eavesdropping law is a good one. Allowing people to make audio recordings of arrests "could potentially inhibit an officer from proactively doing his job," Donahue said.
    http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/20/il...iles-challenge
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 07-18-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    There's gonna be a lot of de-flated Europeans, when they read this thread...

Attachment 6376

P.S. I hate Illinois Nazi's
    Last edited by Lurchiron; 07-18-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast