• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording devices

TyGuy

Anyone use any covert recording devices (bluetooth camera, belt camera, watch camera, pen camera, etc.....) ? I would appreciate any thoughts on them.

rcav8r

I recently picked up a voice recorder that has a USB port. Its an Olympus, and I got it through Amazon for $43 IIRC.

Be sure to read the reviews on any you select. One device that had a USB port and plugged directly into the PC, it got bad reviews because the weight of the device caused the USB to disconnect.

You want one with fairly large sized recording capability, voice activated recording, and USB port.

RR_Broccoli

I use a Olympus VN-8100PC (about 47 bux) and have been very happy with it.

It picks up EVERYTHING with a very good highly sensitive microphone even if it's in a sweatshirt pocket or on a string under your shirt, and can handle loud environments.

Recording time is something like 23 hours, so it can be turned on and forgotten about.

Some people use cell phones and so on, but my BlackBerry one takes about 3 minutes to start and doesn't work very well.

Big Dipper

Just remember that it is illegal to use in a "police state" - Ill-annoy, unless ALL parties agree to the recording!

"In Illinois, an eavesdropping device cannot be used to record or overhear a conversation without the consent of all parties to the conversation. 720 Ill. Compiled Stat. Ann. 5/14-1, -2. An eavesdropping device is defined as anything used to hear or record a conversation, even if the conversation is conducted in person."

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/illinois.html

apjonas

Mind Exercise

Just remember that it is illegal to use in a "police state" - Ill-annoy, unless ALL parties agree to the recording!

"In Illinois, an eavesdropping device cannot be used to record or overhear a conversation without the consent of all parties to the conversation. 720 Ill. Compiled Stat. Ann. 5/14-1, -2. An eavesdropping device is defined as anything used to hear or record a conversation, even if the conversation is conducted in person."

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/illinois.html

An interesting question is whether the consent needs to be for a particular device or for a particular communication or both. For instance, during a traffic stop, a LEO with a dash cam has obviously consented to be recorded. Does that consent cover a camera or other device operated by somebody else (without the LEO's knowledge)?

Pyro01

I use my iPhone 4 Voice Memos app, does a wonderful job picking up quiet conversations and will record as long as you have space on your phone. One less gadget to haul with me, I already carry my personal and work cell phone, and a camera. Takes me about 8 seconds to pull my iPhone out, unlock it, open the app, and hit the record button.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I use my iPhone 4 Voice Memos app, does a wonderful job picking up quiet conversations and will record as long as you have space on your phone. One less gadget to haul with me, I already carry my personal and work cell phone, and a camera. Takes me about 8 seconds to pull my iPhone out, unlock it, open the app, and hit the record button.

I use the same thing. I turn it on before I leave the house and turn it off when I get back home. In addition, it will record in the background so you can use other apps simultaneously. Works great, good audio quality.

Big Dipper

An interesting question is whether the consent needs to be for a particular device or for a particular communication or both. For instance, during a traffic stop, a LEO with a dash cam has obviously consented to be recorded. Does that consent cover a camera or other device operated by somebody else (without the LEO's knowledge)?

The answer to the question for the "police state" of Flatland is:

" (720 ILCS 5/14‑3)
(Text of Section from P.A. 96‑1000)
Sec. 14‑3. Exemptions. The following activities shall be exempt from the provisions of this Article:

(h) Recordings made simultaneously with the use of an in‑car video camera recording of an oral conversation between a uniformed peace officer, who has identified his or her office, and a person in the presence of the peace officer whenever (i) an officer assigned a patrol vehicle is conducting an enforcement stop; or (ii) patrol vehicle emergency lights are activated or would otherwise be activated if not for the need to conceal the presence of law enforcement.

For the purposes of this subsection (h), "enforcement stop" means an action by a law enforcement officer in relation to enforcement and investigation duties, including but not limited to, traffic stops, pedestrian stops, abandoned vehicle contacts, motorist assists, commercial motor vehicle stops, roadside safety checks, requests for identification, or responses to requests for emergency assistance;

(h‑5) Recordings of utterances made by a person while in the presence of a uniformed peace officer and while an occupant of a police vehicle including, but not limited to, (i) recordings made simultaneously with the use of an in‑car video camera and (ii) recordings made in the presence of the peace officer utilizing video or audio systems, or both, authorized by the law enforcement agency;

(h‑10) Recordings made simultaneously with a video camera recording during the use of a taser or similar weapon or device by a peace officer if the weapon or device is equipped with such camera;
..."

pkbites

I have a Pen camera, a watch camera, sun glasses camera and a car remote/key chain camera. All are video with sound.

The watch camera video and sound both stink. Pass.

The pen camera video is good, the sound is fair. But it's a big fancy "office desk" type pen that looks out of place in a pocket.

The sun glasses camera takes excellent video with good sound. But it's a little obtrusive when being worn.

The car remote camera takes very good video with very good sound. Nobody notices it when it's in your hand or sitting on a table, especially when there are actual car keys attached to it.

Word of warning: none of these cameras have a "steady shot" feature. So the picture is very shaky when you're moving around and stuff.

I got all 4 cameras on Ebay for under $100 total for all of them.

HandyHamlet

The answer to the question for the "police state" of Flatland is:

Yes there are three high profile cases in IL right now regarding video recording the pi... uhm cops. All three citizens are charged with felonies and are looking at 15 years if I remember correctly.

IL is not a place to mess around. "Midnight Express" comes to mind.

:eek:

kawisixer01

The only thing I carry is my cell with a voice recorder app. Everyone remember to lock your cell phone with a password. There was a recent ruling that your phone can be searched without warrant. Kinda hard to look through it if they don't know the password to unlock the screen.

TyGuy

I know that I am hosed in IL, but I was wondering what recorder to bring with when I am elsewhere. I've used my Flip in the past, but it's a bit bulky.

apjonas

Wait A Minute

Yes there are three high profile cases in IL right now regarding video recording the pi... uhm cops. All three citizens are charged with felonies and are looking at 15 years if I remember correctly.

IL is not a place to mess around. "Midnight Express" comes to mind.

:eek:

If these situations are listed under "Exemptions" does that not mean that you can record the activity?

HandyHamlet

If these situations are listed under "Exemptions" does that not mean that you can record the activity?

I don't know what you mean by exemptions. I know if you audio record police or judges you will be arrested for a felony offense of wiretapping.

The last link I posted here somewhere on the subject...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/08/chicago-district-attorney-recording-bad-cops_n_872921.html

I know from 25 years of personal experience that if you even look like you might take a picture in the general area around where an IL cop might be standing in you will be slammed against walls, screamed at, chased out of the area, denied parking on public streets, and I can't even remember the rest.

Illinois puts the "N" in Nazi.

Last edited: