• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording devices

BROKENSPROKET

I believe one of our friends from Kenosha has a pair of sunglasses that records audio and video.

There is also a pocket pen that also records audio and video, which I think Mark Thole from Midwest Marksman has stock to sell.

BROKENSPROKET

I don't know what you mean by exemptions. I know if you audio record police or judges you will be arrested for a felony offense of wiretapping.

The last link I posted here somewhere on the subject...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/08/chicago-district-attorney-recording-bad-cops_n_872921.html

I know from 25 years of personal experience that if you even look like you might take a picture in the general area around where an IL cop might be standing in you will be slammed against walls, screamed at, chased out of the area, denied parking on public streets, and I can't even remember the rest.

Illinois puts the "N" in Nazi.

Wiretapping is a third party monitoring of internet or phone conversations, not two party conversations.

HandyHamlet

Wiretapping is a third party monitoring of internet or phone conversations, not two party conversations.

Might want to tell that to Illinois 'cause I don't think they got the memo.

Illinois has one of the three most restrictive eavesdropping laws in the country, along with Maryland and Massachusetts. And Illinois police and prosecutors are not shy about using the law to punish the taping of arrests and interrogations.

Chicago authorities recently have charged a street artist and a stripper for violating the law. Both face 15 years in prison.

http://gatewayjr.org/2011/02/06/illinois-wiretapping-law-restrictive/

Mark Donahue, president of the Fraternal Order of Police in Chicago, said he believes the state's eavesdropping law is a good one. Allowing people to make audio recordings of arrests "could potentially inhibit an officer from proactively doing his job," Donahue said.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/20/illinois-aclu-files-challenge

Last edited:

GlockRDH

Wisconsin is a one party state so if you consent (obviously) then it is all good.

from my understanding..WI is a one party state regarding taping of 'wired' communications. ie phone calls...not sure how that would be handled with person to person talking.... which brings up another issue with the Illinois Nazis ( I hate Illinois Nazis)...could they entrap you by leaving a message on your answering machine? lol

GeoffD

Back on track....

In my experience, any sort of integrated recording device such as one on a belt or watch would have low quality capabilities, capacity and battery life. I would be interested in use of a covert device if anyone has come across one that rivals a standalone recorder.

HandyHamlet

from my understanding..WI is a one party state regarding taping of 'wired' communications. ie phone calls...not sure how that would be handled with person to person talking.... which brings up another issue with the Illinois Nazis ( I hate Illinois Nazis)...could they entrap you by leaving a message on your answering machine? lol

They don't make laws to make things legal. So...

:banana:

In my non-Green Bay resident FIBWAC troll intolerant hardline opinion.

Last edited:

Motofixxer

I recently found Android App Cop Recorder 2. Seems pretty simple, start it, hit record, then it disappears till you start it again and hit stop. It can also upload the file...but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Pyro01

The only thing I carry is my cell with a voice recorder app. Everyone remember to lock your cell phone with a password. There was a recent ruling that your phone can be searched without warrant. Kinda hard to look through it if they don't know the password to unlock the screen.

Do you know the reference to this ruling, or have a link?

BROKENSPROKET

The only thing I carry is my cell with a voice recorder app. Everyone remember to lock your cell phone with a password. There was a recent ruling that your phone can be searched without warrant. Kinda hard to look through it if they don't know the password to unlock the screen.

Thanks man. I just set a password. I never would have thought to look. Glad you said something.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Ruling From KalifoRnIa's SupReme CouRt....

Do you know the reference to this ruling, or have a link?

LINK: http://lawblog.legalmatch.com/2011/...ice-can-search-cell-phones-without-a-warrant/

The country continues to head full speed into total tyranny.

I keep my cell phone locked as well as my SIM. There are several different parts to a cell phone that can and should be locked. Lock them all and make it so every outgoing and incoming call are password protected. It sucks but we have to go all out to protect our privacy.