• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First Walmart!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Since I started open carrying a sidearm, I've been wary of Walmart because of various reports I've seen on the forum. But being right next door to the place to pick up my car from the shop, I decided to drop in and pick up a recording device as an additional tool in case of misadventure with an LEO while OC'ing.

With my Judge holstered on my hip, I drove into their lot and was surprised. This particular Walmart is an older one that hasn't been update in about 20 years. But today there was a flurry of construction types running around doing a makeover on the store. They're expanding and making it larger. Soon the place will be selling groceries. I walked in and said hello to folks I met as I headed over toward the electronics area. I asked for directions from a couple of folks, and they pointed out where to go. The remodel has made the place bright and more streamlined. It was always a bit gloomy in there, but new lighting and some fresh paint has really spruced the place up considerable like.

I bought a Sony digital voice recorder and a couple of DVDs. I spoke with at least 4 management types on various topics, none of which included my firearm. Employees were cheerful and friendly and nobody made a fuss. The only downer attendant to my visit there today was that the recorder doesn't have a microSD chip with it. So I'll need to run another errand to get one of those.

Any trepidation I may have harbored about Walmart in Aurora has vanished and I'll be much more likely to visit again in the future.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have carried in four Walmarts hundreds of times (combined) with never the issue. Their corporate policy is to follow state law. Sometimes the managers don't know their own rules.

M-Taliesin

I have carried in four Walmarts hundreds of times (combined) with never the issue. Their corporate policy is to follow state law. Sometimes the managers don't know their own rules.

Howdy BigSD!
This was my first try since I started OC'ing. It was a real good experience, and I was comfortable while there.
Guess ya can't believe everything you read on a forum, eh?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

Well, if my wish comes true and the big one hits the PDR of Kalifornia and it slips into the ocean, maybe a channel will open up across UT and we'll have access to the Pacific...

ColoradoFlyer

I have had some funny stares but normally no issues for the Walmart's here in the southern part of town, Centennial, Castle Rock. The King Scoopers here in CR also are friendly when I OC there, and one of CR's finest even asked me what I was wearing one morning. Come to find out his daughter works there. He mentioned that is has no issues with OC's but the Chief of Police is not keen on it.

Also had a really funny encounter with some folks from California this evening while at the Outlet's. Older lady with her husband and son said something about "there's one of those Colorado guys with a gun". Took me a second to process it but I stopped in my tracks and said yes, Colorado is an Open Carry State. We proceeded to have an very nice conversation about it and the fact that their son wanted to live her because of it. He then started to talk about all the various west coast states and their laws on guns. Was very interesting, even got talking about how Arizona changed their laws to be Constitutional Carry. Mom was actually really cool with the whole idea and then they proceeded to tell me that they were looking for an outdoor shooting range. Cherry Creek was not on their list of places they wanted to go. Great encounter and was great to hear someone from California that knew about our situation. Next time they visit they will bring their handguns. Cool.

Carry On

M-Taliesin

I have had some funny stares but normally no issues for the Walmart's here in the southern part of town, Centennial, Castle Rock. The King Scoopers here in CR also are friendly when I OC there, and one of CR's finest even asked me what I was wearing one morning. Come to find out his daughter works there. He mentioned that is has no issues with OC's but the Chief of Police is not keen on it.
Carry On

Howdy Flyer!
It really doesn't matter what the Chief of Police thinks or his attitude about it. It is the law, and he must abide by it, along with the rest of his department. Sucks to be him, I guess.

Meanwhile, sounds like you had a terrific encounter with folks from California. I hope you were able to direct them to a real good shooting range where they could enjoy an afternoon of shooting. I don't know about Highlands Ranch, Centennial or Castle Rock ranges. I use Firing Line in Aurora, and have a membership there. They are a great place to shoot or browse for guns and accessories.

Colorado Springs area has several nice places to shoot, including Dragonman's, but in the heat we've been having, coupled with our afternoon monsoon, I'm going to stick close to indoor ranges for the time being!

Maybe your influence on some folks from California will help them to carry the message back to their home state and have an impact on change for the better there. Ya never know.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I've never really understood this statement as a guarantee of the ability to carry a firearm in Wal Mart. State law says that they can ask you to leave their property for just about any reason they want to. State law does not prohibit carrying in Wal Mart, but state law does not require that they allow you to, either. So, if a manager at Wal Mart asks you to leave because of your firearm, they are following state law.

I used to be a manager there until quite recently when I took a new job. Their policy is follow state law, and they mean that as do not treat the customer any differently. If it's legal to carry in the state then it is welcome at Walmart. They may be following state law but they are breaking company policy. The policy for asking people to leave is even more restrictive.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

I've never really understood this statement as a guarantee of the ability to carry a firearm in Wal Mart. State law says that they can ask you to leave their property for just about any reason they want to. State law does not prohibit carrying in Wal Mart, but state law does not require that they allow you to, either. So, if a manager at Wal Mart asks you to leave because of your firearm, they are following state law.

But not corporate policy. The manager would be more concerned with that, I would wager.

rushcreek2

Interesting out-of state take on the "quaint" Colorado practice of actually respecting the right to bear arms.

My own "open carry" experience in Colorado Springs is that MOST people seem to be actually comforted by the presence of an armed law-abiding citizen in their midst. I've observed a couple of wide-eyed , perhaps somewhat "disturbed" fellow shoppers eyeing my Glock - but generally I experience pleasant reactions from the managers and employees that I have had contact with.

The random, general public reaction doesn't concern me as much as the perception of staff at businesses that I patronize.

Any criminal threat will come from that random, general population set.

It is impossible to document the deterrent affect of our armed presence - because the deterrent effect produces a NON-EVENT - which is the intended purpose of "open carry".