• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Business Trip to Ohio

adric22

I am from Texas and I have a concealed handgun license, but from what research I've done it is useless in Ohio. But I may be headed that way for a business trip next month and I'm trying to figure out the best way to protect myself. I'd be coming in on one of the major airports and then driving to a city out in the middle of nowhere called Hicksville.

From what I've been told, I can't conceal a handgun in Ohio, but I can open carry one without a permit? The whole issue with the unloaded weapon in the car makes no sense to me.

I have never open carried a weapon anywhere as that is not allowed in Texas. So I must admit the thought of it is both scary and exhilarating at the same time. Scary because I'd be afraid I'd get arrested or harassed by cops or something. Can anyone give me any advice on the best way to handle this situation?

I thought about applying for an Ohio license, but from what I can tell you have to be a resident of Ohio to get one.

adric22

Without a recognized permit in Ohio, not only must the gun be unloaded when transporting it in a vehicle, but all magazines or speedloaders for the gun must be emptied of rounds as well.

So.. I have this unloaded gun in the car and so I drive to a restaurant, shopping mall, etc. So then I have to go to the trunk of the car, load up the rounds in my gun, put it on my hip, then go about my business. When I return to the car I have to unload the gun and lock it away. Am I understanding that correctly? And, how are the police in regards to this. Am I likely to be hassled?