• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry your CWL when you Open Carry?

BROKENSPROKET

176.60 (2g) requires that you carry your CWL and State ID and display it when requested by law enforcement anytime you carry concealed, But it says nothing about Open Carry, even when you are in a place that would require a CWL. I know what common sense tells me and where case law would fall, but they did not require it in Act 35.

jpm84092

I would think you would want to have it with you in case you inadvertently wander into the 1000 foot GFSZ area. I know the law allows it to be produced later, but why get into a potential hassle with law enforcement when it is just as easy to carry the card.

Mlutz

I might just leave my card in my vehicle when I oc. (On private property anyway.) That way, I still don't have to do the dance, and will be covered if I enter a school zone. Another exception, when the permit is needed to carry in a specific place. Then of course I would have my "permission slip".

oak1971

Of course I will have the permit on me at all times. The mere presence of that piece of paper will strike fear into the hearts of evildoers, cause them to repent of their sins, and join a monastery.

jpm84092

Of course I will have the permit on me at all times. The mere presence of that piece of paper will strike fear into the hearts of evildoers, cause them to repent of their sins, and join a monastery.

I may have to move back to WI to get a WI permit so I too can have such power.

TyGuy

Tatoo the info on your rear, and then go carry in Madison.

jpm84092

Yes I will at all times, just as I carry my DL and fishing and hunting licenses at all times. OR

There are many on this forum who believe you to be a troll. I have an excellent way to dispel that rumor if you are up to it.

I will soon be returning to WI to teach another UT Concealed Firearm Permit Course and the NRA Basic Pistol Course. If you are not a "troll" and are a legitimate lover the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution, I would be happy to meet with you and provide you with this training. The NRA Basic Pistol Course will provide you with Nationally Recognized Basic Training in Firearms Familiarity and Safety (but no tactical training). But that will meet the WI requirement for training for a WI Concealed Weapon Permit.

I may be returning to WI this weekend to attend a family reunion.

logables

There are many on this forum who believe you to be a troll. I have an excellent way to dispel that rumor if you are up to it.

I will soon be returning to WI to teach another UT Concealed Firearm Permit Course and the NRA Basic Pistol Course. If you are not a "troll" and are a legitimate lover the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution, I would be happy to meet with you and provide you with this training. The NRA Basic Pistol Course will provide you with Nationally Recognized Basic Training in Firearms Familiarity and Safety (but no tactical training). But that will meet the WI requirement for training for a WI Concealed Weapon Permit.

Thank you for the offer, but I have ample proof of military training with the M1 and 1911 pistol during Navy boot camp. This training will also meet the Wisconsin requirement for a CWP. I also have completed HSC as a youth.

I am a legitimate supporter of the 2A, but lover is going a bit far. As far as the so called troll part, I care not what a handful of posters opinion of me is. The rules of this forum dictate my reporting issues. OR

mrjam2jab

176.60 (2g) requires that you carry your CWL and State ID and display it when requested by law enforcement anytime you carry concealed, But it says nothing about Open Carry, even when you are in a place that would require a CWL. I know what common sense tells me and where case law would fall, but they did not require it in Act 35.

I hear where you are going with this. Similar, in PA we can OC anywhere in the state, except Philadelphia, without a LTCF. If you are OCing, you do not need to present a permit when the LEO stops you and asks for it. The trick for us is there is no OC in a vehicle. So unless you are walking everywhere, we need the LTCF anyway.

BROKENSPROKET

Thank you for the offer, but I have ample proof of military training with the M1 and 1911 pistol during Navy boot camp. This training will also meet the Wisconsin requirement for a CWP. I also have completed HSC as a youth.

I am a legitimate supporter of the 2A, but lover is going a bit far. As far as the so called troll part, I care not what a handful of posters opinion of me is. The rules of this forum dictate my reporting issues. OR

It's CWL. Concealed Weapon License. McX's "we don't need no steenkin permits" mantra got to the legislators so the called it a liscense.

logables

So, they posted an artcle written by Jason Stein of the Journal Sentinel in which he used the word permit 19 times.

While Act 35 / SB93 uses the following language:

CONCEALED WEAPONS LICENSE

Call it what you may, I call it a permit and I will gladly pay for it. Plus, as the thread asks, I will carry it at all times and enjoy every minute of it. OR

M

McX

JPM, lugnuts would want a posse discount.

protias

He is too good for YOUR training as he said. Should be proof enough that he is a troll.

AaronS

Call it what you may, I call it a permit and I will gladly pay for it. Plus, as the thread asks, I will carry it at all times and enjoy every minute of it. OR

I call it a permission slip, and I will carry it even if I do not have a gun on me (don't know how often that will happen). The school zone issue alone is good reason to keep it on you.
I can't say I am "happy" with it, but I can say I will also enjoy every minute of it...