• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry your CWL when you Open Carry?

mrjam2jab

So, they posted an artcle written by Jason Stein of the Journal Sentinel in which he used the word permit 19 times.

While Act 35 / SB93 uses the following language:

CONCEALED WEAPONS LICENSE

You'll see that forever. In PA, it's a "License To Carry Firearms"...issued by the County Sheriffs.

Pretty much everybody in the media and even a LOT of folks INSIDE the sheriffs depts call it a "concealed weapons permit."

Outdoorsman1

Originally I was going to get the permit just for the "school zone thing", but now it seems like there might be a question of the legality of open carry in a vehicle, as to if it would be considered legal open carry, or concealed carry as the sidearm might not be visible from the drivers side window..:mad: :mad: :banghead:

So based on the above reasons, I will be getting the permit and will be carrying it with me at ALL times...and open carrying 95 - 98% of the time....

Outdoorsman1

Outdoorsman1

logables
Yes I will at all times, just as I carry my DL and fishing and hunting licenses at all times. OR

Wow, first Non-Troll comment I have read from logables... (called him by real name due to content of post..)

logables...Thank you for the offer, but I have ample proof of military training with the M1 and 1911 pistol during Navy boot camp. This training will also meet the Wisconsin requirement for a CWP. I also have completed HSC as a youth.

I am a legitimate supporter of the 2A, but lover is going a bit far. As far as the so called troll part, I care not what a handful of posters opinion of me is. The rules of this forum dictate my reporting issues. OR

This is also a seemingly non-troll post....

logables....A discount would be nice, I would donate the money saved to people who have paranoid delusions. OR

This post... not so much...

The ONLY reason I broke my self imposed mandate NOT to respond to any if logables posts was that here he had a couple that read ok to me.... If his manner of posting resorts back it his trolling days, I will continue not to feed him by NOT replying to anything he posts...

logables, ... I know, I know, how I feel about you and your posts matters not to you and you will continue posting as you see fit....

Just Sayin...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

175.60 (2g) CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON; POSSESSION AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE DOCUMENT OR AUTHORIZATION.
(a)
A licensee or an out−of−state licensee may carry a concealed weapon anywhere in this state except as provided under subs. (15m) and (16) and ss. 943.13 (1m) (c) and 948.605 (2) (b) 1r.
(b) Unless the licensee or out−of−state licensee is carrying a concealed weapon in a manner described under s. 941.23 (2) (e), a licensee shall have with him or her his or her license document and photographic identification card and an out−of−state licensee shall have with him or her his or her out−of−state license and photographic identification card at all times during which he or she is carrying a concealed weapon.
(c) Unless the licensee or out−of−state licensee is carrying a concealed weapon in a manner described under s. 941.23 (2) (e), a licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her license document and photographic identification card and an out−of−state licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her out−of−state license and photographic identification card to a law enforcement officer upon the request of the law enforcement officer while the law enforcement officer is acting in an official capacity and with lawful authority.

Like I said in the OP, I know what common sense tells me, and I am pretty sure what case law would end up saying, but currently, there is no statutory requirement to have license and ID in your possesion or to show it if you OC in a school zone, bar/restaraunt, or public building. Currently, the only statutory requirement to have it in your possesion and show it is if you carry concealed. Just a little detail they missed. LEO may use this to say you have to conceal it if you carry in a school zone, bar/restaraunt, or public building. IDK.

MKEgal

oak1971 said:
The mere presence of that piece of paper will strike fear into the hearts of evildoers, cause them to repent of their sins, and join a monastery.
jpm84092 said:
I may have to move back to WI to get a WI permit so I too can have such power.
You have an even better super power: The Black Stripe! :shocker:
Able to tame misbehaving LEOs with a single glance... the thought still makes me smile.

...carrying a concealed weapon shall display... license and photographic identification card to a law enforcement officer upon the request of the law enforcement officer while the law enforcement officer is acting in an official capacity and with lawful authority.
I'm very glad they added that part. The way it was originally written, any LEO could approach anyone at any time with no RAS & demand to see a permit.

I know what common sense tells me, and I am pretty sure what case law would end up saying, but currently, there is no statutory requirement...
And the law requires DOJ to start accepting applications 01SEP, too, but they appear to have no problem ignoring the spirit of that law, either.

I'll probably have it with me most of the time, just like most of my other permits (the ones that fit easily into a purse or pocket).
I'd rather not have the hassle of having to explain to the Nice Officer that carrying in a school zone with a permit is legal,
and no, I don't have to actually have it on me,
and yes, s/he is allowed to call DOJ to verify I have a permit,
and even if s/he chooses not to verify my permit, it's only a ticket (which I would challenge in court),
and no, I do not consent to any searches or seizures (which they don't listen to anyway)...

But if the hassle is about OC, in a place that doesn't require a permit, no, they're not seeing the permit.
Gotta get that into their heads right off.

apjonas

Since

Where does it say that? Please provide a citation.

an application is a prerequisite to a license and there is no date stated by which applications must be made available. We know that one of the following must be true-

(a) DoJ may choose to never make applications (and therefore licenses) available or
(b) DoJ must make applications available by a date determined by some method

Which do you think is correct? If you choose (b), how would you determine the date?

BROKENSPROKET

And the law requires DOJ to start accepting applications 01SEP, too, but they appear to have no problem ignoring the spirit of that law, either.

Where does it say that? Please provide a citation

an application is a prerequisite to a license and there is no date stated by which applications must be made available. We know that one of the following must be true-

(a) DoJ may choose to never make applications (and therefore licenses) available or

Which do you think is correct? If you choose (b), how would you determine the date?

If you want to answer that question for her, provide the citation!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon

Try this:
WISCONSIN LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL AMENDMENT MEMO

2011 Senate Bill 93

Senate Substitute
Amendment 2, as Amended
Memo published: June 15, 2011 Contact: Anne Sappenfield, Senior Staff Attorney (267-9485)

- Page 7 -
Within 21 days of receiving the application, DOJ must either issue a license or deny the license
application. In addition, beginning on the day after publication of the legislation and ending on the first
day of the fifth month after that day, DOJ must, as soon as practicable and without delay, but no longer
than 45 days after receiving a complete application, either issue the license and promptly send the
licensee the license document by 1st class mail or deny the application, as described above.