Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello All

Hello All

My name is Reed Kotake. I am brand new to these forums and just thought i would introduce myself. I am fairly new to the OC community and I have had my CCW for a little less than a year. Having moved from Hawaii (where you have to jump through flaming hoops to even OWN a gun) to Independence MO I am on a fairly steep learning curve. Cant wait to meet all of you out here and thanks ahead of time for a very informative site!

Aloha Bruddah, welcome to OCDO and Missouri for that matter. I'm just south of you in Lee's Summit.
    What part of Hawaii are you from?
    My wife is from Oahu, we spend a lot of time there. I did have quite a few questions regarding their CCW policies. We'll have to chat sometime.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

Howzit Chiang! it's such a small world! Us Hawaii people are everywhere! lol Nice to "meet" you. I was born and raised in Kaimuki. As for the CCW position of the state of Hawaii, they are a "May Issue" state. As far as i know every single police chief since the late 70's has said something along the lines of "we are a MAY issue state at my discretion and i refuse to issue CCW to anyone". That's my paraphrase of course. I am sure there are some exceptions but for the most part they are exceptions over the rule.
    Last edited by Ballistic Penguin; 07-18-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Kaimuki, thats just down the road! We stay off of Kapiolani BLVD., Moiliili.

Thats too bad about the ccw laws. I wonder if they would issue if you held a POST Cert. from another state.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

MAYBE, however i do know that HPD is NOT a POST affiliated department. you probably could apply through the dept for a ccw though. I know off duty officers are allowed to carry. Not sure about the out of state thing. How often do you go back?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic Penguin View Post
    MAYBE, however i do know that HPD is NOT a POST affiliated department. you probably could apply through the dept for a ccw though. I know off duty officers are allowed to carry. Not sure about the out of state thing. How often do you go back?

We try to go back as often as possible. Its been about a year and a half since we were last down there. We try to spend a good 2 or 3 months when we can. My wife was born and raised there though.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

I guess the real answer is not enough these days. I was just telling my wife that I would love some curry house. I think i miss the food most of all, lol.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

you know i was having a perfectly good day until you reminded me how much i LOVE curry house! GAH!!! lol. Although i did find out that I can get Takuan and Longanisa sausage at the commissary on Leavenworth. all this food talk is killing me! Go figure that Hawaii people would turn to food on an OC forum. lol

you know i was having a perfectly good day until you reminded me how much i LOVE curry house! GAH!!! lol. Although i did find out that I can get Takuan and Longanisa sausage at the commissary on Leavenworth. all this food talk is killing me! Go figure that Hawaii people would turn to food on an OC forum. lol
    Ahaha, can't help it. There is a good Asian Market right off of Metcalf in Overland Park. They have mostly Korean food but they still have a good selection of Japanese food(which made my wife very happy). A large selection of Takuan too. But to bring it back to the OC theme, you can't OC in Overland Park.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

I think i've passed it a couple of times! one of those "i've GOT to go there" places (but i never get around to it). Yeah i've been looking at the OC map. It seems that there are very few places where you CAN'T OC. Why don't we see it more often?

I think i've passed it a couple of times! one of those "i've GOT to go there" places (but i never get around to it). Yeah i've been looking at the OC map. It seems that there are very few places where you CAN'T OC. Why don't we see it more often?
    Well, there are a lot of differing philosophies and perspectives on the matter. There are quite a few people who OC in the area, but not nearly as many as those who CCW. The OC movement is pretty politically charged, so some people avoid it all together.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

Have you had any experience with Independence PD?

Ah yeah, I've OCed up there quite a bit. I usually don't run into any trouble in Independence, and the one run in I did have with LEOs was at the movie theater. The LEOs were a little confused as to what was going on but they were generally pretty cool about the whole situation. This has been my experience with pretty much all of the KC metro. Even the longer encounters I've had, the local PDs have always handled themselves professionally with me.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

welcome to the board, the OCers are growing like weeds around here

Quote Originally Posted by ComSec View Post
    welcome to the board, the OCers are growing like weeds around here
    guess thats why they call it "grassroots" lol thanks for the welcome! i've enjoyed reading your posts

Welcome Ballistic Penguin:

I live in Independence and have had only one encounter with Indep leo. He didn't know the laws so I over looked his rediculous comments. I open carry everywhere I go thats legal and sometimes get stares but thats about it. I carry a letter from the Chief of Police and the city attorney that states Open Carry is legal in Independence.
    Come to our meetings and get to know us. Welcome aboard...

Jim,

Thank you for the welcome! I'm excited to attend a meeting!
    Where could i get a copy of that letter?

Ballistic Penguin:

I may have to give it to you at the meeting unless you want to meet me somewhere as I can't post it on here. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim40Cal View Post
    I may have to give it to you at the meeting unless you want to meet me somewhere as I can't post it on here. Jim
    sounds great I'll get it from you at the meeting! i really appreciate it! thanks in advance

Ballistic Penguin

Your very welcome. Hope to see you at the Barbecue.

Welcome!!

Ballistic Penguin,

Welcome to Independence, MO.!!!!

I too live in Independence. I haven't had any negative encounters with any LE while OC'ing. I mostly OC in Indep, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit and Liberty.

So Penguin...if I may be so bold as to ask....but what brings you to this part of the world? I look forward to meeting you soon and getting to know you!

Again...welcome...and most of all....if you have any questions about ANYTHING at all...please don't hesitate to throw em out here. There are a lot of very knowledgable folks on this forum who no doubt would be able to answer most if not all of your questions.

Randy

Thanks Randy! I actually came to visit a friend during my R&R from Iraq. I ended up liking it here so much that i stayed! people call me nuts all the time! lol Then to top it off i met my wife and recently got married so i am pretty much a bonafied Missouruh-an. Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading as much as i can and you guys all sound like knowledgeable and friendly people. cant wait to meet you all!

Welcome Home Brother

Vietnam Veterans of America
    Chapter #243
    Lee's Summit, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Jim40Cal View Post
    Welcome Home Brother

Vietnam Veterans of America
    Chapter #243
    Lee's Summit, MO
    welcome home to you too.

Welcome Penguin!!!

Hope to see you at the BBQ!!! Maybe we should have a luau
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast