• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello All

Ballistic Penguin

My name is Reed Kotake. I am brand new to these forums and just thought i would introduce myself. I am fairly new to the OC community and I have had my CCW for a little less than a year. Having moved from Hawaii (where you have to jump through flaming hoops to even OWN a gun) to Independence MO I am on a fairly steep learning curve. Cant wait to meet all of you out here and thanks ahead of time for a very informative site!

ChiangShih

Aloha Bruddah, welcome to OCDO and Missouri for that matter. I'm just south of you in Lee's Summit.
What part of Hawaii are you from?
My wife is from Oahu, we spend a lot of time there. I did have quite a few questions regarding their CCW policies. We'll have to chat sometime.

Ballistic Penguin

Howzit Chiang! it's such a small world! Us Hawaii people are everywhere! lol Nice to "meet" you. I was born and raised in Kaimuki. As for the CCW position of the state of Hawaii, they are a "May Issue" state. As far as i know every single police chief since the late 70's has said something along the lines of "we are a MAY issue state at my discretion and i refuse to issue CCW to anyone". That's my paraphrase of course. I am sure there are some exceptions but for the most part they are exceptions over the rule.

Last edited:

ChiangShih

Kaimuki, thats just down the road! We stay off of Kapiolani BLVD., Moiliili.

Thats too bad about the ccw laws. I wonder if they would issue if you held a POST Cert. from another state.

Ballistic Penguin

MAYBE, however i do know that HPD is NOT a POST affiliated department. you probably could apply through the dept for a ccw though. I know off duty officers are allowed to carry. Not sure about the out of state thing. How often do you go back?

ChiangShih

MAYBE, however i do know that HPD is NOT a POST affiliated department. you probably could apply through the dept for a ccw though. I know off duty officers are allowed to carry. Not sure about the out of state thing. How often do you go back?

We try to go back as often as possible. Its been about a year and a half since we were last down there. We try to spend a good 2 or 3 months when we can. My wife was born and raised there though.

ChiangShih

I guess the real answer is not enough these days. I was just telling my wife that I would love some curry house. I think i miss the food most of all, lol.

Ballistic Penguin

you know i was having a perfectly good day until you reminded me how much i LOVE curry house! GAH!!! lol. Although i did find out that I can get Takuan and Longanisa sausage at the commissary on Leavenworth. all this food talk is killing me! Go figure that Hawaii people would turn to food on an OC forum. lol

ChiangShih

you know i was having a perfectly good day until you reminded me how much i LOVE curry house! GAH!!! lol. Although i did find out that I can get Takuan and Longanisa sausage at the commissary on Leavenworth. all this food talk is killing me! Go figure that Hawaii people would turn to food on an OC forum. lol

Ahaha, can't help it. There is a good Asian Market right off of Metcalf in Overland Park. They have mostly Korean food but they still have a good selection of Japanese food(which made my wife very happy). A large selection of Takuan too. But to bring it back to the OC theme, you can't OC in Overland Park.

Ballistic Penguin

I think i've passed it a couple of times! one of those "i've GOT to go there" places (but i never get around to it). Yeah i've been looking at the OC map. It seems that there are very few places where you CAN'T OC. Why don't we see it more often?

ChiangShih

I think i've passed it a couple of times! one of those "i've GOT to go there" places (but i never get around to it). Yeah i've been looking at the OC map. It seems that there are very few places where you CAN'T OC. Why don't we see it more often?

Well, there are a lot of differing philosophies and perspectives on the matter. There are quite a few people who OC in the area, but not nearly as many as those who CCW. The OC movement is pretty politically charged, so some people avoid it all together.

ChiangShih

Ah yeah, I've OCed up there quite a bit. I usually don't run into any trouble in Independence, and the one run in I did have with LEOs was at the movie theater. The LEOs were a little confused as to what was going on but they were generally pretty cool about the whole situation. This has been my experience with pretty much all of the KC metro. Even the longer encounters I've had, the local PDs have always handled themselves professionally with me.

Jim40Cal

Welcome Ballistic Penguin:

I live in Independence and have had only one encounter with Indep leo. He didn't know the laws so I over looked his rediculous comments. I open carry everywhere I go thats legal and sometimes get stares but thats about it. I carry a letter from the Chief of Police and the city attorney that states Open Carry is legal in Independence.
Come to our meetings and get to know us. Welcome aboard...