• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fair Oaks DMV Security Treatment of Hunter45

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I will start the discussion by saying the security guard's actions were totally uncalled for. There seems to be absolutely no reason for unstrapping the firearm. I hope this action was caught on videotape.

hunter45

"I was at Fair 0aks Mall with my mom tonight. We stopped by the DMV at 6:34pm but they closed at 6:30pm. I think the doors were locked, but as a customer came out my mom grabbed the door and we walked in. The security guard rushed over, grabbed his Glock, and un-buttoned the thumbstrap as if he was about to draw his firearm. I have no idea why he did this...I wasn't even carrying. I thought he was going to shoot me for a minute. So I guess the moral of the story is never go into the DMV after 6:30."

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Can he be charged with Brandishing? His hand was on his gun in a threatening manner without cause.

§ 18.2-282. Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearance; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured...Persons violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282

In VA's "hierchy" of offenses, a Class 1 misdemeanor is the highest misdemeanor; the next step up is felony.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The devil is in the details!

What did you do?
Was it a Securiguard Guard?
Have you filed an FOIA?
Did you get his name?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The devil is in the details!

What did you do?
Was it a Securiguard Guard?
Have you filed an FOIA?
Did you get his name?

Re-read the incident report carefully. Nothing, but nothing that occurred justified brandishing as solution to a real or perceived attempt to enter after hours. Nothing.

This guard needs slapped down hard. If this was how he reacted to someone entering moments after closing, perhaps not realizing the doors had been locked since another customer was coming out at the same time they were walking in, imagine how else he might over-react in other situations.

The warrant needs to be sought immediately. Tuesday morning.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Re-read the incident report carefully. Nothing, but nothing that occurred justified brandishing as solution to a real or perceived attempt to enter after hours. Nothing.

This guard needs slapped down hard. If this was how he reacted to someone entering moments after closing, perhaps not realizing the doors had been locked since another customer was coming out at the same time they were walking in, imagine how else he might over-react in other situations.

Absolutely, I was especially concerned since hunter45 said he wasn't even armed. I think even if he had been, the situation still would have been unwarranted.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I did read it but unless he wants to chance a John Doe warrant, he needs to know who he was. The Security video would go a long way in getting a warrant that's going to be a hard sell anyway. Hunters reaction will be a big part of any case.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I'd suggest a civil suit for assault.
I'd also like to know whether the DMV has a contract with Securiguard for their offices.

HankT

State Researcher
I will start the discussion by saying the security guard's actions were totally uncalled for. There seems to be absolutely no reason for unstrapping the firearm. I hope this action was caught on videotape.

"I was at Fair 0aks Mall with my mom tonight. We stopped by the DMV at 6:34pm but they closed at 6:30pm. I think the doors were locked, but as a customer came out my mom grabbed the door and we walked in. The security guard rushed over, grabbed his Glock, and un-buttoned the thumbstrap as if he was about to draw his firearm. I have no idea why he did this...I wasn't even carrying. I thought he was going to shoot me for a minute. So I guess the moral of the story is never go into the DMV after 6:30."

What happened after the security guard "unbuttoned the thumbstrap?" How was the incident resolved?

Were words spoken?

There is something missing from hunter45's account.

One thing for sure - we know the guard's actions were not due to OC.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What happened after the security guard "unbuttoned the thumbstrap?" How was the incident resolved?

Were words spoken?

There is something missing from hunter45's account.

One thing for sure - we know the guard's actions were not due to OC.

Hunter, I take back what I asked. Be quiet about this and be afraid. :uhoh:

hank2-1.jpg

Last edited:

RussP

He thought they were a "flash-mob of two"? :)

hunter45

I wasn't going to pursue this any further, I was just bored last night and thought I'd share my experience with y'all. Anyways, here are the full details...

My mom grabs the door and walks in, she looks to the left where the guard/information desk is and walks towards him asking if it is too late for her to do something regarding her license plates. Then I grab the door before it shuts again and follow her in. I hear the guard say "Is he with you?" and walk over towards me, with his right hand immediately going for his gun. I walked in slowly wearing khaki shorts and a green golf shirt, and like I said, I wasn't carrying at the time. I have no idea what I did that was so threatening. Anyways, that's pretty much it.

Marco

Thanks for sharing.

I would have called the police (on the spot) and attempted to have this Security Guard arrested.
If he's running around unstrapping his holster/firearm with no threat present he possess a threat to the public.

Last edited:

HankT

State Researcher
I wasn't going to pursue this any further, I was just bored last night and thought I'd share my experience with y'all. Anyways, here are the full details...

My mom grabs the door and walks in, she looks to the left where the guard/information desk is and walks towards him asking if it is too late for her to do something regarding her license plates. Then I grab the door before it shuts again and follow her in. I hear the guard say "Is he with you?" and walk over towards me, with his right hand immediately going for his gun. I walked in slowly wearing khaki shorts and a green golf shirt, and like I said, I wasn't carrying at the time. I have no idea what I did that was so threatening. Anyways, that's pretty much it.

Not pursue it??????

Several folks (peter nap, Citizen, TBSD, grapeshot, user, etc., have chimed in above that the guard needs to be held accountable for his actions. He "needs to be slapped down," according to one person.

Did you tell the guard anything about his action of "going for his gun?" Were any words spoken between you two?

There may be some video that will totally support your position.

Letting the guy off does not seem like a great decision.

HankT

State Researcher
I never spoke to him. Could I get the DMV surveillance video through a FOIA?

I don't know for sure but I don't see VA law would prevent it.

I recall a case a few years of an OCDOer, name of danbus, who got accosted by Norfolk's finest with a gun unnecessarily pointed at him. He got $10,000 after all the dust settled.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I never spoke to him. Could I get the DMV surveillance video through a FOIA?

If you can't get it voia a FOIA request you can subpeonea it as part of discovery in your civil suit.

But do either one now, not later. There seems to be a rash of failures to comply with the Record Retention Act when it comes to Magic Memory Devices, as well as extremely short times before overwriting/reusing the tape/HD space.

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
If you can't get it voia a FOIA request you can subpeonea it as part of discovery in your civil suit.

But do either one now, not later. There seems to be a rash of failures to comply with the Record Retention Act when it comes to Magic Memory Devices, as well as extremely short times before overwriting/reusing the tape/HD space.

stay safe.

I get the feeling you have had personal experience with this.........not sure but it sounds like a ferry tale.

Hunter- I really hope you pursue this. I'm sure you would at the least have the full support of those who posted in this thread. I have seen what the members of this forum can do when united by a common cause.

Last edited: