Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes, Hackers do GOOD things...

Sometimes, Hackers do GOOD things...

From Union City, NC:

"Hacked DOT Road Sign Reads "Impeach Obama"

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-stor...0,881228.story
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Humorous, I just hope the sign wasn't supposed to be conveying a vital message to drivers before being hacked.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    From Union City, NC:

While I agree with the sentiment, I ABHOR the method. It could cause a serious traffic problem, up to and including some one getting killed. The hacker deserves at least 5 years in the pen, if no one gets hurt. A lot more if someone got hurt.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    While I agree with the sentiment, I ABHOR the method. It could cause a serious traffic problem, up to and including some one getting killed. The hacker deserves at least 5 years in the pen, if no one gets hurt. A lot more if someone got hurt.
    +1

Hacking is a serious crime. Regardless if the intentions are just, it violates computer systems owned by other people, companies or governments. It's no different than breaking and entering.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

oh come on now... you guys just don't know how to have fun...

5 years? really? 5 years for making a nonpermenant change to a roadsign for a few lulz?
    Last edited by Schlitz; 07-21-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    oh come on now... you guys just don't know how to have fun...

5 years? really? 5 years for making a nonpermenant change to a roadsign for a few lulz?
    How about picking your door locks and rearrainging your living room furniture?

It violates a barrier, it's a crime. You don't commit crimes for "lulz", whatever that is.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Throwing tea into Boston Harbor was a crime too.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Indeed, and it not only did not result in any less taxes, it resulted in more tyranny.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    From Union City, NC:

And if the sign had said something with which you disagreed, e.g., "Repeal the 2nd Amendment," would you be defending the hackers? A crime is a crime, regardless of the content.
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 07-21-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Similar to how they all everything "terrorism" these days... they also call everything "hacking"... some smartass... maybe even the guy who was supposed to program the sign... changed it... not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    Indeed, and it not only did not result in any less taxes, it resulted in more tyranny.

Indeed, and it resulted in you being here today. Gaily typing away with your opinion. And not going to jail for it. Go figure.

And unless the sign said " Edge of World do not continue " before it was hacked, I guessing no one drove off a cliff and plunged to a fiery death.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post

Indeed, and it resulted in you being here today. Gaily typing away with your opinion. And not going to jail for it. Go figure.

And unless the sign said " Edge of World do not continue " before it was hacked, I guessing no one drove off a cliff and plunged to a fiery death.

Regardless of the eventual outcome from a collection of illegal acts that led to our revolution, I do not have to condone, endorse or draw parallels to a recent act that had no constructive purpose beyond "lulz". The Boston Tea Party was not a prank, and had I been alive at the time I probably would not have approved of it, especially after having to tolerate more red coats because of it. As myopic as it would be at the time, it probably would be my oppinion. This recent prank is not likely to cause anything at all, other than a change in passwords.

You might also consider it lucky that our revolution brought to power men who believed in liberty for all men. (or most men anyway) Since then exactly how many bloody revolutions have resulted in the creation of constitutional republics with even a shread of prosperity? I hope people think about that before glorifying illegal acts with some lofty intent of "fighting tyranny".

You might also consider it lucky that our revolution brought to power men who believed in liberty for all men.
    I'm in no way comparing a modern prank with the Revolution. And you might want to heed your own advice.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Perfect reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Damaging or stealing a road sign is usually a misdemeanor with about 90 days in jail

Closest reference I could find but I'm sure details are out there: http://www.mountaineagle.com/view/fu...roblem-to-stop

Why is temporarily changing a sign so much worse? I agree this is a crime that should be punished, but people are ready to fly off the handle and crucify someone once the word "hacking" and computers come up. 5 years and federal prison is a ridiculous sentence for something like this. I would agree they should be held civilly responsible for damages as a result of their actions as well.

+1

Hacking is a serious crime. Regardless if the intentions are just, it violates computer systems owned by other people, companies or governments. It's no different than breaking and entering.
    I would venture to say that you don't know what hacking means, and cannot separate the concept from criminal mischief.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Actually, it galvanized a soon-to-be nation into action.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    Perfect reminder.
    Thanks Jeff, I like to throw that one out there, when people misuse Madison's quote "Nation of laws".

Or when people want to insist we abide by unconstitutional laws.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

The last time I read about a roadside sign being "hacked" all the person did was walk up to it, put in the factory default password (the one they tell you to change) and they made it say "zombies ahead." Prior to the change it simply said traffic ahead. So people should quit flipping out and should look at the bigger picture. If caught should the person be punished? Yes, but the punishment should fit the crime and if no one was hurt, it wasn't a vital sign, and it wasn't properly secured then it shouldn't be a huge deal (id be more concerned with the sign not properly secured because that means other signs are likely not properly secured and terrorists could potentially use that to change vital signs and sow fear and terror).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    I would venture to say that you don't know what hacking means, and cannot separate the concept from criminal mischief.
    On second look it seems like it wasn't "hacked", in that password or encryption wasn't undermined. It's still government property, it was still misused, and it's still "mischief". Probably doesn't deserve any punishment, unless some locks were broken or cut. As far as your condecending response goes, KMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    The last time I read about a roadside sign being "hacked" all the person did was walk up to it, put in the factory default password (the one they tell you to change) and they made it say "zombies ahead." Prior to the change it simply said traffic ahead. So people should quit flipping out and should look at the bigger picture. If caught should the person be punished? Yes, but the punishment should fit the crime and if no one was hurt, it wasn't a vital sign, and it wasn't properly secured then it shouldn't be a huge deal (id be more concerned with the sign not properly secured because that means other signs are likely not properly secured and terrorists could potentially use that to change vital signs and sow fear and terror).
    I would go one further and insist that both actus reus and mens rea need to be present along with a "victim". If none of the above was found no crime was committed. No punishment.

Now if someone was hurt/damaged because of his actions (I don't see how since people smart enough to drive should be able to discern what was going on), then he should have to pay restitution for that not to the state but to the "victim".
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 07-22-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Now if someone was hurt/damaged because of his actions (I don't see how since people smart enough to drive should be able to discern what was going on), then he should have to pay restitution for that not to the state but to the "victim".
    I disagree. Regardless of whether you're flying or driving, "see and avoid" apply, and confer upon each and every driver the responsibility to drive only as fast and in such manner as driving conditions allow. Road construction is as much a driving condition as snow or fog.

I've spent much of my driving time over the last two years shuttling between the Woodman and N. Academy exits of I-25 here in Colorado Springs. Both exits sport a dedicated lane for folks exiting I-25 and turning right. One of them, however, has a yield sign while the other one does not.

Despite this, many ignorant, stupid, and dangerous drivers STOP at either exit, even in the absence of impinging traffic. They're as much a driving condition as is an errant or hacked electronic road sign.

See and avoid...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I disagree. Regardless of whether you're flying or driving, "see and avoid" apply, and confer upon each and every driver the responsibility to drive only as fast and in such manner as driving conditions allow. Road construction is as much a driving condition as snow or fog.

I've spent much of my driving time over the last two years shuttling between the Woodman and N. Academy exits of I-25 here in Colorado Springs. Both exits sport a dedicated lane for folks exiting I-25 and turning right. One of them, however, has a yield sign while the other one does not.

Despite this, many ignorant, stupid, and dangerous drivers STOP at either exit, even in the absence of impinging traffic. They're as much a driving condition as is an errant or hacked electronic road sign.

See and avoid...
    I don't see anything contrary to what I said, it goes upon personal responsibility. I admittedly might be missing something though. I am saying if you get hurt because of your own "unawareness" it is your problem and not anyone else's.

I don't see anything contrary to what I said, it goes upon personal responsibility. I admittedly might be missing something though. I am saying if you get hurt because of your own "unawareness" it is your problem and not anyone else's.
    We agree!

How about picking your door locks and rearrainging your living room furniture?

It violates a barrier, it's a crime. You don't commit crimes for "lulz", whatever that is.
    You're comparing a street sign to the living quarters of a human? O_o What a great comparison...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast