• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sometimes, Hackers do GOOD things...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Humorous, I just hope the sign wasn't supposed to be conveying a vital message to drivers before being hacked.

OldCurlyWolf

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
While I agree with the sentiment, I ABHOR the method. It could cause a serious traffic problem, up to and including some one getting killed. The hacker deserves at least 5 years in the pen, if no one gets hurt. A lot more if someone got hurt.:cuss:

+1

Hacking is a serious crime. Regardless if the intentions are just, it violates computer systems owned by other people, companies or governments. It's no different than breaking and entering.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
oh come on now... you guys just don't know how to have fun...

5 years? really? 5 years for making a nonpermenant change to a roadsign for a few lulz?

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
oh come on now... you guys just don't know how to have fun...

5 years? really? 5 years for making a nonpermenant change to a roadsign for a few lulz?

How about picking your door locks and rearrainging your living room furniture?

It violates a barrier, it's a crime. You don't commit crimes for "lulz", whatever that is.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Last edited:

HKcarrier

Similar to how they all everything "terrorism" these days... they also call everything "hacking"... some smartass... maybe even the guy who was supposed to program the sign... changed it... not the end of the world.

HandyHamlet

Indeed, and it not only did not result in any less taxes, it resulted in more tyranny.

Indeed, and it resulted in you being here today. Gaily typing away with your opinion. And not going to jail for it. Go figure.

And unless the sign said " Edge of World do not continue " before it was hacked, I guessing no one drove off a cliff and plunged to a fiery death.

:banghead:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

Indeed, and it resulted in you being here today. Gaily typing away with your opinion. And not going to jail for it. Go figure.

And unless the sign said " Edge of World do not continue " before it was hacked, I guessing no one drove off a cliff and plunged to a fiery death.

:banghead:

Regardless of the eventual outcome from a collection of illegal acts that led to our revolution, I do not have to condone, endorse or draw parallels to a recent act that had no constructive purpose beyond "lulz". The Boston Tea Party was not a prank, and had I been alive at the time I probably would not have approved of it, especially after having to tolerate more red coats because of it. As myopic as it would be at the time, it probably would be my oppinion. This recent prank is not likely to cause anything at all, other than a change in passwords.

You might also consider it lucky that our revolution brought to power men who believed in liberty for all men. (or most men anyway) Since then exactly how many bloody revolutions have resulted in the creation of constitutional republics with even a shread of prosperity? I hope people think about that before glorifying illegal acts with some lofty intent of "fighting tyranny".

Jay Gatz

While I agree with the sentiment, I ABHOR the method. It could cause a serious traffic problem, up to and including some one getting killed. The hacker deserves at least 5 years in the pen, if no one gets hurt. A lot more if someone got hurt.:cuss:

Damaging or stealing a road sign is usually a misdemeanor with about 90 days in jail

Closest reference I could find but I'm sure details are out there: http://www.mountaineagle.com/view/f...eft-and-vandalism-a-difficult-problem-to-stop

Why is temporarily changing a sign so much worse? I agree this is a crime that should be punished, but people are ready to fly off the handle and crucify someone once the word "hacking" and computers come up. 5 years and federal prison is a ridiculous sentence for something like this. I would agree they should be held civilly responsible for damages as a result of their actions as well.

Aknazer

The last time I read about a roadside sign being "hacked" all the person did was walk up to it, put in the factory default password (the one they tell you to change) and they made it say "zombies ahead." Prior to the change it simply said traffic ahead. So people should quit flipping out and should look at the bigger picture. If caught should the person be punished? Yes, but the punishment should fit the crime and if no one was hurt, it wasn't a vital sign, and it wasn't properly secured then it shouldn't be a huge deal (id be more concerned with the sign not properly secured because that means other signs are likely not properly secured and terrorists could potentially use that to change vital signs and sow fear and terror).

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I would venture to say that you don't know what hacking means, and cannot separate the concept from criminal mischief.

On second look it seems like it wasn't "hacked", in that password or encryption wasn't undermined. It's still government property, it was still misused, and it's still "mischief". Probably doesn't deserve any punishment, unless some locks were broken or cut. As far as your condecending response goes, KMA.