• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paper written in support for open carry.

acrews

Well the title says it all, when I first started to gain interest in OC I was enrolled in an English class and had to write a paper about something I really supported. So I wrote one about OC. Granted it's not the best paper I have ever written but I figured I would share with you guys. I remind you this paper was written almost two years ago when I wasn't as great of a writer and was not as educated on the matter.

Open Carry of a firearm is something that I am very passionate about. If you are not aware of what open carry is I will define it for you “openly carrying a firearm in public", as distinguished from concealed carry, where firearms cannot be seen by the casual observer. In my home state of Michigan you can legally openly carry a firearm in a holster in plain view. Michigan Law MCL 750.234d, states that it is okay to openly carry a firearm. There are several reasons why I am pro open carry, first reason being is that I do believe that it would reduce crime rates; second of all I think that it would reduce the amount of shootings that happen along with so many other reasons.

First reason I support open carry is because I do think that if more people knew that it was legal to openly carry your firearm crime rates would reduce. If more people were carrying firearms in plain view less violent crimes would happen in my opinion because if you see several armed people in an area you are going to think well if I do this, maybe one if these people will draw their firearm on me.

Another pro side to carrying a firearm in the open is I do believe that less violent crimes such as gun related crimes would happen. If you see someone with a firearm on their hip you are more likely to think “oh maybe messing with this guy is not such a good idea” however what if you see someone else who looks like a good target and you decide “hey this guy looks like he can’t do anything I will rob him” then you find out this person is carrying a canceled pistol. I am in no way advocating crimes these are all hypothetical situations.

Now for every pro reason for something there is always a few cons to it. One big con to openly carrying a firearm is the fact that some people may find it scary. People in a lot of northern states such as Michigan have not been exposed to firearms during their lifetime. Since the people have not had exposure to a firearm in their lifetime they have only heard the negative things about them on local newscast and the amount of violence that goes on with weapons. So they have this phobia of firearms.

Overall the idea of open carry is a good idea in my perspective. It is my fondest hope that you also see things my way. A right not exercised is a right lost. This is a right you should exercise. These rights were given to us for a reason, why not take full advantage of them?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well the title says it all, when I first started to gain interest in OC I was enrolled in an English class and had to write a paper about something I really supported. So I wrote one about OC. Granted it's not the best paper I have ever written but I figured I would share with you guys. I remind you this paper was written almost two years ago when I wasn't as great of a writer and was not as educated on the matter.

Very interesting and insightful, sir.

You are to be commended - a tip of my hat and a salute to you!

Would make a good read to see your views now that you have gained more knowledge.

Mitchell

Good for you, I wish I was back in that English class so I could write a paper with that looney teacher lady from Bowling Green. I would love to try to get her panties in a bunch.

acrews

Well if I remember correctly I got a B+ on the paper but definitely opened up the professors mind to open carrying.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Sadly no he did not. He's still well like most college professors little to the left and is pro gun control

Hey there... don't make assumptions... lol
I understand the belief that all professors are antis... but having been an adjunct professor for years, I can tell you that many people who consider themselves left-of-center also support the 2nd Amendment. Besides myself, I know of 3 PhDs that frequent the Michigan section of the website.
I also work in a public school and there is one other teacher who is a long-time member here... not to mention that out of the 12 teachers and parapros at the building in which I work, 5 of us have our CPLs. This is a much higher percentage than our county (Kent) in general.
But, I understand the misconception and I do everything I can to dispel the myth: pics of firearms in my office, keep a copy of my FFL over my desk, and openly talk to other staff about OC and other firearm related activities.

Last edited: